Quail manure

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by cluckeyo, May 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I keep quail for the eggs and for meat. I make pickled quail eggs and sell them. My quail are kept indoors and when I clean their cages, I bag up the manure. We use some of it in our compost tumbler. It's a great "green". All else we need then is shredded cardboard (and we have a good shredder for that) and oak leaves which are available. This combination makes a great compost. We have tried applying the manure directly to the garden, but it is extremely potent and will kill the young plants. I may consider selling bags of quail manure at some point. Right now we are using it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most manure, unless it is well rotted, needs to be composted with other materials first.

3. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    So it is not good to dump the manure straight away. We have a lot of chickens and we scoop up the manure, bag it up and then put it on our fruit trees. Thank you for the information, lonewolf!

4. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    I have killed plants doing that. It must be pure acid. I have even let it sit for 1 year and then apply it straight to the plants, it still killed them. But it mixes great into a compost tumbler.

5. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Does this apply to goat or cow manure too? I hope it doesn't I just dumped a few of them as fertilizers a couple of days ago.

6. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    I really don't know. But I do know that the fresher it is, the more acid it is. I will never try to apply any kind of manure straight to plants again. I will always use it as a green material to be added to the compost tumbler. Glenn also tried applying it to some newly planted seeds. They never came up. It is strong stuff!

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of pickled quail eggs. I am curious to know how many eggs each quail produce a day.

8. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    Usually each hen will produce one egg per day. Not 100% though. They might lay at about 85 or 90%. They are busy layers. One pint of pickled quail eggs holds between 18 and 20 eggs. That will give you an idea of their size. They are delicious eggs! My quail are Coturnix quail, which are considered to be poultry.

9. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Most bird manure needs to sit for about 6 months if you are keeping it in a pile by itself. You can mix it with other compostables organic sources like leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps etc, and turn and water it about once a week to encourage it to break down faster. Otherwise the high nitrogen content will burn most seedlings.