Quarantine Foods For Dwelling

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Pragmatist, Mar 4, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    poltiregist and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A very comprehensive list. Thank you for sharing. Good pointers on things to add to your larder if you don't have them already.

This list is focused on foods, but I would also stock up on toiletries; soap, toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash, razors, shaving cream, extra tooth brushes, deodorant. None of those have a shelf life. You will use them eventually, so why run the risk of having to go out if you are quarantined.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    poltiregist likes this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone ever consider frozen pre-cooked meal? All you need to do is microwave them just like in airplane or train

Morgan101 likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Yes, however, ...

A microwave requires electricity. There was ( is ?) a model that runs on batteries but never followed up on the research. Some of the older Forum Members might know about the USAF test of this microwave. It used a couple of those block batteries with the 2 circular (+) springs on top of the vertical axis rectangle battery.

For routine times, my formal, high quality dining is a pre-cooked meal: pizza.

If Madam and I can't go out to eat ... and now avoiding the buffet restaurants like the ...... may I say "plague" ? ......, it's very informal dining here. The stuff's healthy but not award-winning.

5. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not so much the frozen, but pre-cooked definitely. In addition to what Pragmatist mentioned "frozen" implies they are kept in a freezer. If the grid goes down if those meals aren't cooked right away they will be lost. You can heat them without a microwave, but they won't keep for very long once they thaw.

There are a lot of options for meals that only have to be heated. There are the survival/camping foods like Mountain House or Weise Foods. Those are usually expensive. There is also a huge variety of foods on the Grocery store shelf that only need to be heated. They can be stored in a pantry or BOB. I personally like the Dinty Moore brand, and have been very pleased with everything I have purchased.

5576136e25629de1ce47e763066e7db3.jpeg

6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If they are in plastic bags they can be heated in hot water.

Morgan101 likes this.
  7. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We already have most everything listed in the article.
    We have an extra chest freezer where we can store 50 lb bags of flour and 25 lb bags of rice too.

Morgan101 likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Snyper,

Good move. Glad to hear ready.

Can you provide a rough estimate how long it takes to pay for the extra chest freezer using the Prepper stock pile for the various emergencies ?

I was asked this at a meeting and knew the extra freezer will pay for itself if properly used but didn't have a definitive time eg 3 years,6 years, etc to say. Madam and I travel and eat out much so can't discuss from experience.

Merci in advance.

Morgan101 likes this.
  9. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have no real way of knowing that.

I just know it allows us to buy large amounts of meats on sale, freeze all the vegetables we want in season, and we don't have to worry about where to put a few deer if need be. If there is extra space we can make blocks of ice to use in coolers, or freeze containers that can later be used as drinking water.

We've had one for close to 20 years and an upright at least 10-12 years.
    We have a second chest freezer that doesn't run, but can serve as dry storage for dog food or seeds.

That's in addition to a large refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen.

We bought the freezers new at Sam's Club, but it's not hard to find used ones cheap most of the time, as long as you're able to move them yourself.

We've never had an "emergency" that lasted more than a week, but I know it's saved us lots of money over the years.

10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Synper,

Appreciate reply.

11. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm just going to go to In 'N Out. LOL

12. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A freezer can run from less than $1000.00 to $4000.00 depending on the make, model, and size. A reasonable estimate for cost of electricity is $30.00/ year. Here is a good link. The price per KW hour in my area is about .09. Yours mat vary. This is based on .10 per KWH

http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_freezer.htm

How much can you save buying in quantities and buying on sale? Everybody will be different. This should give you the basic costs. The savings and the payback time you can calculate based on your usage.

13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

Appreciate link Thank you.

I will introduce it to my group next meeting.

14. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Part of the cost of having those appliances available in emergencies has to include some source of power.

I spent around $1000 for a Honda 2000i inverter generator. It will run everything I need to run and I get around 11-12 hours per gallon of gas.

I figure it has paid for itself already in food saved during 3 hurricanes over a 2 year period.

I have a cumulative total of close to 7.5 days actual run time on the generator and I've used around 15 gallons of gas

The peace of mind from having electricity is priceless.

howler and Morgan101 like this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Snyper,

Good info.

That Honda model just sent to my prep group for discussion at next meeting.

Note that my responder prep group is not same as my shelter in place/survival group. They are younger, just starting out.

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like to have those just boil water and pour in dinners for emergencies. A lot of them I repackage with a vacuum seal a meal and they seem to last better. This is also how you can make a poor man's version of those expensive camping foods or MREs.

17. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We cook some things in large batches then freeze them for ready made heat and serve meals. We cook with propane and have a 500 gallon tank as well as several 20 lb tanks.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We make our own frozen dinners too. We will make a big batch and freeze several meals and eat one immediately. It is about as easy to make a large batch of enchiladas for example as it is a small batch. The dry meals like Tony Chachere Red Beans and Rice, the Dirty rice, Jambalaya, and Gumbo, when sealed with a Vacuum sealer, are two dollar meals for two that are fast and easy. These are also things that I/we cook from scratch pretty often so it is familiar food to us. I make these because making this stuff from scratch uses a lot more fuel than just boiling the water.