Question About Emergency Hydration

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by AlexM, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Wanted to ask a question about hydration in emergency situations. Say you were in an environment that was was very dry and hot, and water was scarce. I was wondering is it possible to re-hydrate yourself by drinking your own sweat?

2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've heard stories of people drinking urine to survive but that wouldn't keep you alive for long if you don't find water. As for drinking sweat since it has high concentration of salts I believe that even if you somehow managed to drink it, it would probably end up causing more dehydration. So don't try it.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    People who were trapped under buildings during a massive earthquake had to resort to drinking their own urine, as well as eating tissue paper with ketchup (they were stranded near a food court, but it was all they could salvage), and had to do it for at least a week before the rescuers could find a way to dig through the debris. Sweat is pretty scarce though, and you wouldn't be able to collect enough to be able to quench your thirst. The only thing you have on you is urine, and you're in luck, it's sterile, so you can drink it if you really do not want to die of dehydration in emergency situations.

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have heard about stories where people drank their urine
    but I have also read somewhere that it does not really help
    you in terms of surviving longer.
    If I were in that situation I would try to find a place with more shade, only be physical active during nighttime when it gets cooler and dig the sand to check if there are spots that are more moist. This might lead to getting close to some water....
    If you were in a colder climate I would say you can eat snow. :)

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Desperate problems call for desperate solutions. The fact remains that a dying man would hang on a straw. A dying person would drink anything to ameliorate his thirst including drinking his own urine or sweat. I have also found that chewing on some sticks would stimulate production of saliva which would quench the rasping thirst.

6. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think I would rather drink my own piss. If you are in a situation like extreme hydration, you should walk to the nearest place where there is water. Even if you don't feel l like walking for miles. It is better then waiting to die. I think you have three days before you die. Some people say you should walk at night but if you can't see then you should walk in daylight.