Question About Mask

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by varuna, Nov 11, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I have need for mask for several conditions (listed below). It can be one size fit all, or specific mask for specific condition as long its practical. Any recommendation is appreciated.
    1. Mask to handle air pollution and PM 2.5, in this case the level of air pollution is above 500 US AQI
    2. Mask to handle volcanic dust
    3. Mask or re-breather to handle sulfuric air (as in volcanic caldera)

Is there any certification or standardization for mask?

Thanks Beforehand :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://pksafety.com/respirators/

Good afternoon Varuna,

Yes, there are certifications and standardization. Also some overlap; also some contradictory regulations, also some nonsense.

Surf around somewhat diligently the above link to PK Safety. Believe they're out of Alameda, San Francisco Bay area, California.

I'm not endorsing company - although I do buy from them. I'm referencing them because they have a good website.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Scenario 1 and 2 would be handled by a GSR while the 3rd scenario would require a closed circuit breathing apparatus with its own supply such as worn by fire fighters.

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    The website is broken

What is GSR, sorry I'm not familiar with the term

The intended destination for the 3rd scenario is this place ;

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Varuna, believe Ystranc was describing the Brit's military mask. Here, they're call just "gas masks" or "protective masks".

I used the US Army mask in the 1960s riots. I consider it more of a danger than someone throwing a Molotov at me. The US mask form fits to the face and when sweaty, the heat buildup means trying to wipe away sweat in a gasoline and CS gas environment. I could not function with the dangerous mask.

If - if - if - I ever had to work with masks again - I have an ILC 30 S-Cape evacuation smoke mask to GOOD - (30 minutes duration only but can wear hard hat) I would look for a spec complaint airport fire-fighters model ... resembles the old brown paper grocery bags with a horizontal axis window for vision.

varuna, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
  8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The GSR or general service respirator is a twin filter mask and is good for up to 8 hrs at a time. Built in housings for hydration and communication, panoramic view available in different sizes with adaptations for glasses.
    The GSR will also use the old 40mm NATO filters (up to 4 hour use) with a very minor adaption.
    These masks are worlds better than the old S10 gas masks.

varuna, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  9. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Alaska has a plethora of volcanos. I keep N-95 masks for volcanic ash. I also have permanent (cleanable) air filters on my vehicles. I have military gas masks for the wife and I that would help if sulphur dioxide became a problem but they are primarily for exiting a home fire.

Alaskajohn, varuna and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
  11. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Another mask questions ;
    1. How long N-95 respirator could be use continuously? :confused:
    2. What the usable life-time of N--95 respirator when not in use continuously? :confused:
    I may need to take either 3 hours or 6 hours (all non-stop flight) to what I personally assessed to be high risk places (COVID-19) this year. Although I'm doing my best not to travel to those places, there maybe a necessity to do so within this year :(

Thanks Beforehand :)

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

It's not a question of time when wearing the N95. The issue is frequency of germs bouncing onto the mask. If, for example, if in a field with casualties, the mask might be OK for half a day onward. In a confined setting, the non-numeric time would be "frequently". It cannot be quantified. An aircraft is as confined a place as they make. Remove the mask with gloves and plan to wash hands and face in somewhat-clean environment. I do not know how this can be done on an airline aircraft. Even some of the corporate jets are filthy.

I recommend never re-storing / re-using a mask even if used only once. A new mask can last "a long time" if stored in original packaging and in a container. The masks must be inspected periodically and immediately before use. Many variables govern this situation.

ANA and Japan Air Lines are cleaner than Royal Brunei. I am using a micro chronometer to make this statement.

"Fair seas and following winds"

Caribou, varuna and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When you take off the N-95 mask you need to treat it as medical waste and get rid of it. The outside may be contaminated. They are selling reusable N-95 masks but I would like to know what the risk is when you are cleaning it and replacing the filter pads. lots of questions and not enough answers.

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    any face mask I think should be treated as single use only and be disposed of after each time.

15. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    My main concern is when I need to remove the respirator during custom check, checking in to hotel, etc. And whether or not I should replace it midflight (6 hours non-stop flight is pretty long for my comfort)

One of my habit when flying in chartered flight is to go to the aft lavatory (that adjacent to the galley in G500) and afterward ask to see whatever foods & beverages available on board (although champagne is typically stowed in main cabin). This way I could took a peek of the hygiene condition of the plane. Although there is no way I could tell regarding the hygiene of the couch (of which I typically slept on)

There are several airlines in South East Asia which I've noted for their gross filthiness. And sometime I have to make compromise due to time schedule (available flight)

I don't intend in buying or using that re-usable respirator, its too risky.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  16. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The mask should last you a day, certainly the trip. For extended wear try a model with an exhalation valve, I think you will find it more comfortable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

With the various types / styles of masks, I am sure some Customs checkpoints have specific rules to compare passenger with passport / identity card. Hotels; can't reply without location info.

The mid-flight removal of a mask for replacement has a protocol just like ground use. Remember you are in a closed aluminum tube (aircraft) of germs. The current protocol, at least in the US and Hong Kong, is, while wearing gloves, take off mask, wash hands and face, then put on new mask. Old stuff to be properly disposed of.

I deal in common denominators. All the flights harbor germs, from the infectious to the non-infectious. The old Soviet Aeroflot route Jakarta via Rangoon to Hong Kong was no less than more filthy than Pan Am. The best and cleanest in my experience were Singapore Air, JAL, ANA (charter), UTA (my favorite). The worst: not enough cyber space to report on.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't use public transport whether it is planes, buses, trains or tubes, too many germs in normal times never mind covid-19.
    out here in the countryside if you don't have a car you don't go anywhere.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    My intended destination is SG and HK. And one of my primary concern is both places has "indoor culture" which will aggregate the risk of infection further despite both place are in the tropical climate (water particulate get vaporized and the virus can't survive under the blazing sun). Furthermore I feel rather silly if I need to wear respirator and maybe glove while in business casual attire o_O.

Anyway my intended purpose there is actually for shopping specialized computer and drone. And it will took some time at each place :(

There are plenty independent video blogger doing review in Youtube. As long you speak the local language you can always find accurate boot on the ground kind of information

20. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

If "SG" = SQ / S'pore ...

Both SIN and HK are state of the art Customs clearance fully augmented with public health personnel.

Do reflect on the "indoor culture" and outside warm climate. When you add the a/c, refrigeration, the human body is not in the ideal environment, especially if already stressed from travel, etc.

Agree that respirators for business travelers can place one in an unfavorable spotlight. Some viewers will think person arrived from most infected area of world and is a vector. I tone down my PPE protection to wearing on a neck lanyard, a new P-100 or new N-95 (with store receipt cellophane-taped to lanyard). Would have the mask ready to wear after clearing Customs. In acft, you must decide on what's best.

It's acceptable from a social perspective to carry a couple of new pair of med gloves in sport jacket pocket.

Can't comment on the necessity of computer / drone extended research trip. Do you know that over the weekend there was a another riot in Mongkok, Kowloon ? More is going on the merely the epidemic /pandemic. Do factor this in to thoughts.

How would a blogger know about aircraft sanitary conditions ? Even the US infection maps show Virginia as as healthy as a clinic in the Swiss Alps - notwithstanding many, many, many arrivals at Dullas Int'l Airport Washington, D.C. and Naval Air Station, Norfolk ,Virginia were in places just as scary as Wuhan.

Much of all this is public perception.