Question: Was everyone here in boy or girl scouts?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Larry, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Larry

Larry Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    After reading so many comments on this forum I was wondering if most of the people here who started early were members of either the boy scouts or girl scouts? It seems like if you just continued doing the things you learned about as a kid you would eventually become self sustained.

2. Lzmoose

Lzmoose Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    Boy Scout for a couple of years. Grew up in the city, but my older brother took me camping from about age eight.

3. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    Boy scouts for a few years for sure.

4. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Farm and country life, military, getting married, that's what made me keep learning how to survive.

Dave3006 likes this.
  5. Eddie Martin

Eddie Martin Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    Cub Scouts for a year or two, but I grew up in West Texas and everyone ended up working in the oil field. We camped all the time as a kid and then I joined the military, so my abilities come from a lot of different experiences.

6. Gribb

Gribb Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Cubs for a year, Boy Scouts for about two, Marines for six. I've recently taken on being a Cub Master. Looking forward to getting my scouts schooled up on some basic outdoor skills.

7. John Johnson

John Johnson Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Eagle scout love the boy scouts the county got land me and my buddies cleared camp sites built bunks tables fire pits. Everything we could think to make cool camp sites for the other scouts. Went to Philmont boy scouts ranch in New Mexico for 30 days got my 50 mile hike and canoe badge had a blast.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Boy Scout here.

9. James

James Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
  10. Dave3006

Dave3006 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:

I'm about like Jason. (Getting married really taught me to survive. j/k) I went to the Boy Scouts for just a few months. IMO, what they were teaching, I had already learned. And the were leaders that didn't like being questioned. So, I quit. That would be actually a No to the question.

I think the Boy Scouts is probably good to go to. It can develop character, respect, and many skills. I would never tell anyone not to send their sons. Our Martial Arts classes helps with developing character, respect, tenacity, but lacks when it comes to some skills. One class definitely teaches survival skills, but only against other people, not the bear in the woods.

11. Hazel

Hazel Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Australian Army Cadets, then joined the army but i grew up in both the country and city and learnt alot from books and putting into practice when i could . My dad army,grandfather was army so was taught survival tactics from a young age

12. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
  13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    No im just a farm hillbilly boy

14. Shellatin

Shellatin New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I was in Girl Scouts for a number of years, and we honestly didn't learn anything about survival. We climbed rock walls, rode horses, sang campfire songs, and did crafts. I didn't realize how unfortunate this truly was until I was older and learn what the Boy Scouts did. I really wish I had learned how to make a fire and other survival skills, they would have been so much more useful than the craft projects that I've lost long ago. This is why I joined this forum, so I could learn the survival skills I should have learned so long ago.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    British Boy Scouts.

16. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Eagle scout still involded in scouts

17. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Nothing formal just always when not in school was on some sort of adventure!
    I had a tidal lake with islands mudflats, rock walls sandbanks, a beach, a rocky headland/island and surf beach's with bikini babes!
    only reason to be home was to eat wash and sleep!
    I was mostly sailing, canoeing, fishing, spearfishing, prawning, worming, surfing, doing judo, chasing girls, catching girls, hunting etc etc!
    The sleepy coastal town I grew up in no longer exists, built out and is part of a huge metropolis now!

18. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I never was in girl scouts. However, I have always had an interest in survival efforts. My boyfriend and I like to make plans for disasters. We've always thought it was a good idea to keep extra supplies around the house. If the day ever comes that we need the items, they'll be packed up and ready.

19. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I was in the brownies which is the UK version of the girl scouts, I remember them teaching us how to make a tiny makeshift stove out of a tin can truned upside down with a tea light candle under it, great idea.

20. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I never thought of that. Great idea! Thank you for sharing. I will definitely remember that just in case!

21. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    We made little pancakes on it, perfectly round little pancakes, it was great!

22. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Nope, not I! I did, however, grow up on farm land/in the middle of nowhere and had a rather crafty father and his friends who taught me all kinds of survival techniques.
    None of them were Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts either, now that I think about it.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    known the world over as a "Hobo" stove. there are videos on youtube how to make one.

24. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I was in Daisy's, Brownies, and Girl Scouts. It was really great experience for me.

25. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    No girl scouts in the small school I went to. But we lived in the country (in the boondocks...aka 'boonies') and discovered a lot of survival skills on our own. There was a 4-H, but it didn't teach the same set of skills as girl/boy scouts. Living in the country requires learning about wild animals, staying safe outdoors, wild edibles, and other skills learned day to day as a normal part of life. We learned to eat what was available. I didn't care for goat meat. One time, we girls even trapped an armadillo, which my mother killed, cut the shell off, and prepared like any other piece of meat. It really did taste similar to chicken.

26. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I tried Brownies, that's the first level of Girl Scouts. My troop leader was a witch. She gave me demerits for not selling enough cookies. Which knocked me out of my chance to go camping. She totally turned me off to Girl Scouts, and I quit. Childhood trauma...

27. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have not been to any girls scouts but a a teen I volunteered at the youth red cross as a member and then became the youth leader later on. I learned a lot about first aid which is really helpful in any emergency situation. Moreover, I learned a lot through my own life experience with certain "risky/dangerous" situations that made me more aware of my surroundings and the consequences of my actions in certain situations.

28. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    i was a Bluebird and then graduated to the Campfire Girls. In the summers, we had a day camp for a week on the property of a local citizen who owned acreage. We would go daily and then on Friday night, we would camp out all night.