R2 Network For Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    They should also preparing for complete loss of those infrastructure (landline fiber-optic, power line, road, bridges, port, airport runway & ATC tower, etc). Pretty sure I've already post something of that nature in another thread. When mother nature decide it's time for redecorating the landscape, everything on the ground or buried will be GONE.

IMO resiliency of communication must be complement with resiliency of mobility (moving sufficient quantity of peoples & goods), because there is no point of communicating if peoples & goods can't reach the disaster affected area due to the loss of road, port, and runway.

I doesn't see it due to advert blocking on the network provider side.

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Designated critical infrastructure gets max priority for all threat "hardening". It's going on now.

You've got quality writing skills ! "redecorating the landscape" Premier writing !!

Yes, mobility is a priority aspect. I consider it more important than electronic communications because the old stuff can provide some link eg flags, lanterns. Transport is critical.

I believe "curated apps" means they reviewed and approved the reviewed app.

varuna likes this.
  4. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    As long there isn't any concern of major earthquake hardening is still viable. However in earthquake, tsunami, volcanic prone places I don't see any kind of viable way for hardening infrastructure because road, bridge, fiber-optic, power line are extremely fragile compare to what mother nature could unleash. The only infrastructure that I could see worth of hardening is port facility (if the place is a coastal city) and also making sufficient clearing to facilitate heavy lift helicopter landing (Chinook or Sea Stallion) at rural settlements.

When talking about mobility most people will said, why not loading everything into Chinook or Sea Stallion and be done with it. What they don't understand is, that even those heavy lift helicopter also need a place to land so they could unload their cargo, and sling-loading their cargo isn't always viable option due to the type of cargo and distance.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

One of the "hardening" aspects is nicknamed "built-in redundancy". If, for example, the port of Seattle experiences an earthquake and the place cannot function, there are arrangements to use other substitute ports. The road, rail and pipelines are part of the hardening arrangement to divert from destination A to destination B. My favorite example - I participated in it - is the alternate water route from the US midwest - Ohio Valley area to the Gulf Coast. In case the port of New Orleans cannot function, the US has another route from the Ohio valley area to the US Gulf Coast (Mobile, Alabama). This is the "Tenn-Tom" waterway. There are other arrangements conceding everything is not ready. Our intercoastal waterway is no longer viable in many areas. It needs dredging - and this has a large cost. The good news is that our current political establishment is working on correcting this.

Of course nothing is guaranteed - nor can be by humans. The typical American thinks all cities, all areas, all just like yesterday, will be addressed for their vacation/holiday Boston to the Dutch Caribbean. There might be disappointments in Boston.

I'll add to your mobility paragraph. Flight operations might not be viable because of additional variables like weather. Here, too, arrangements are made and tested ... they're also frequently used ... for substitute mobility / transport.

Our headache here has less to do with critical infrastructure and much more so with domestic partisan political matters. Why dredge a waterway when the same funds can be used for health care for all ? for free university education ? for economic refugees ?

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.