Rbg Round Body Traps

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by TMT Tactical, Nov 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    First and foremost, I know absolutely nothing about trapping or snaring critters. Which is why I am posting this thread. if and when the brown stuff hit the fan, hunting for food is too time consuming and very hit and miss. Also hunting with firearms will be noisy. Traps and snare should (I am guessing) should take less time to set and check, plus they are going to be relatively silent. i plan to post a few youtube video's on snares and traps and hope it will generate some discussion on the pro's and con's of these items and on what should or should not be done. I would really like to learn more, before I have to use them to get my meals.

2. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to get it started.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
  4. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the video Bishop. Either there is a bunch member that already know how to build and set snares or there is going to be a bunch of folks that are going to get real hungry when the stored food runs out. Crops fail but the little critters of the forest will be there, for those that know how to catch them. I don't think you are going to miss too many meals.

5. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
  6. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
  7. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Clever bird traps. Good job. Thanks for posting.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    snares are fairly simple to set up and you can use ready made snares or make your own.
    find a game trail and set it up, I would say use gloves so that human scent isn't too obvious but i'm not sure if this is so.
    check regularly, at least daily if not twice a day, morning and evening.
    wife had a cat that regularly got caught in a snare(when she was a child) and it used to just sit there and wait for the kids to find it and release it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You can catch birds in mouse traps, and squirrels with rat traps.
    I've made traps to catch pigeons that I kept as breeders to create a flock.
    897bb834f1c59810ab794f6644b85768.jpeg
    897bb834f1c59810ab794f6644b85768.jpeg

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not a trap idea, but post SHTF, one would benefit from baiting game. Cheat. Don't stalk game.

Got some bread gone bad? Break it up and scatter it over a three or four foot diameter area. Let the birds come in, then blast them with small birdshot from an open choke shotgun. You'll get a few for stew.

You could also net the birds.

Stun gun rat trap. This fellow is ingenious, however he also went to a bunch of trouble.

variation

more simple rat trap

Trap for larger birds:

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSRC36.html

https://www.birdbgone.com/snap-trap/

ebay

https://www.ebay.com/b/live-bird-trap/bn_7024895455

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=live+bird+trap&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

1. TMT Tactical
      Great video's. Big thanks for posting. I found the last two educational. The kiss principal in action. The plank and tub was interesting in that more fell in from being snoopy, than from the shock. The last was a prime example of the greedy herd effect, once one got in, the rest were determined to follow and not miss out on the "FREE Lunch". Simple but very effective.

TMT Tactical, Nov 30, 2019
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Related to my post above, what do y'all think about bird populations post-shtf?

When economies collapse, so does trash collection. In N.America, many tribes of Indians were nomadic. They would move when the game began to thin and also due to the piling-up of their trash; rotting whatever stinks and draws vermin. The build-up of trash in cities will be a delight for pigeons and rats.

upload_2019-11-30_11-3-49.png

Of course, rats and pigeons are the nastiest critters on Earth. You'd have to dip them in boiling water before you could dress them out.

12. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Dipping in hot water is standard practice for plucking birds other than waterfowl, but with pigeons it's easier to just skin them and cook the breasts separately.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    When it hits the fan in the big cities, the cats and dogs, will go first, then the birds, then the rodents and then ??? Even the rural folks better have their trapping and snare kits ready, Tractor Supply will be no more.

Even if you grow it, raise it, you better be able supplement it by hunting and trapping it. That was the idea behind posting a trapping thread. We all talk about having multiple plans, so for food-- Plan (A) Store food. Plan (B) Grow your own. Plan (C) Raise meat animals. Plan (D) Trap and Snare food (that includes fishing traps/nets). Plan (E) Hunt food. As with all these plans, except (A), you are going to need knowledge and skills. Don't wait to the last minute.

Please keep the video's and comments coming. I am still learning.

14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Baiting a trap for very large animals can test the imagination. How much meat do you dare sacrifice?

6515cb6e4ec0f2df9ddd97b711b0085b.jpeg

6515cb6e4ec0f2df9ddd97b711b0085b.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting choice of bait, I guess young and tender is best. :eek::oops::D

16. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    your going to invest in traps (steel body grip or foot hold) I would recommend the square jaws for body grip as they are much easier to set and steady at a trap set. I would also recommend getting at least 3 different sizes (4"x4", 6"x6" and 11"x 11" ) so you can easily trap animals such as muskrat, rabbit, raccoon, beaver, etc. Be extremely careful with the larger body grip traps as they can break human bones and getting out of one by yourself is extremely difficult.

I would also recommend learning to trap with steel traps BEFORE a SHTF scenario hits. There are now a few states where this is no longer legally possible.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @Dalewick

Thanks for the tips. Since I am complete rookie at any form of trapping, all pointers are greatly appreciated. I do hope your warning about getting caught in the traps was based on knowledge and not experience. This just me putting my toes in to test the waters, so to speak. Trapping birds, rodents, rabbits and all forms of meat bearing critters (humans exempt) should be on every preppers list of acquired knowledge. As you also point out, test it before a SHTF event, which I plan to do as far as the law permits.

1. Dalewick
      LOL! No, unfortunately getting caught in the trap was an experience. LOL! While doing beaver control in NC, I slipped and fell and got my bent left arm caught in a 330 Conibear (10" x 10" jaws) while out in the middle of a beaver swamp. Murphy was working and left my safety rope back in the truck. LOL! Paddled my work kayak the 3 miles back out of the swamp and used the rope and truck door to free my arm. I got lucky and one of the safeties was still on a spring so no broken arm. I got lucky.

Dalewick, Dec 2, 2019
  18. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Here's a simple trap that can be easily made with a variety of materials.
    It's basically a one way entrance to a larger enclosure.

It can be made in sizes that match the birds you want to catch, and can be improved by adding a small downward extension at the drop end.

It works on the principle that most birds need a place to land before they can walk back out, and that place must have an area large enough for them to land with their wings extended.

Once they drop down inside, they can't land on the walkway to get back out.
    The left side is the entrance. The opening is slightly larger than the size of the birds you want to trap. I used 1 x 6 pieces for my pigeons It can also be done with PVC pipe.:

This variation shows the inside of one in use:

DROP TRAP.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for video Snyper. I like simple to build and even better, simple to use traps. I don't want to rely on growing, raising or hunting food. Trapping / snaring food looks like a very good concept to learn and practice now, before I get hungry. Much easier to learn a new skill if your stomach is not rubbing on your backbone.