Read this first.

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by branchd77, Jan 16, 2016.

Read this first. 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    welcome to the forum Rob, from the UK.

2. Rob aka Silent hunter

Rob aka Silent hunter New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you lonewolf....thanks for hosting the site....already picked up on a few prepping ideas...

lonewolf likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Rob & welcome to this forum. My advice if it was asked for would be leave sooner than later, saving your life is a priority over anything else. You can always return if you get out alive.
    Keith.

4. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi, my name is Ron. I am from Richards Bay, South Africa.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Rob. My name is Ron. I am from Richards Bay. If the shtf we are in trouble here in Zululand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Ron, welcome aboard.
    Keith.

7. Third Pig

Third Pig New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Vicki Thirdpig here in the Upper Peninsula. I've been living on my 80 acres since 2001 and love it here. I'm also a Military Vet and appreciate your service! I'm currently building a small log getaway cabin back in the bush, but the recent 18 inches of snow has slowed me down. I'll continue my indoor gear repair and fabricating for a while.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ron & Rob and Vicky, Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

9. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,
    My name is coffee. I am a lady. I currently live in Central Virginia. I have been a prepper since late 1999, before Y2K. It seems I am the only one in my small family that believes in prepping or being self- sufficient, it sure makes for a lonely life. I look forward to making some new friends here who know how to have a conversation about whats going on in the world and what we should be doing to get ready.

barok129, Radar, Sonofliberty and 2 others like this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Coffee I think you will fit right in here . I am sure it would be tough prepping when the other family members don't recognize the need . Do you have a way to secure your prepping items or does the other family members simply respect and leave your stuff alone ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Are you kidding, you wouldn't believe this: I have bought and given so much stuff to most all of them, only to see it disappeared later down the road, and they have no idea what happened to it. Or hears one for you...the dried beans ran out of date, and the survival can of garden seeds, must be around somewhere. I finally bought a beautiful shed, over $3k, and put it in their back yard, and have been putting survival supplies in it for almost 2 years now. Now this is love for my son and grandkids. Or maybe I am just a sucker for family...ALONE. :(

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Coffee. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink...BUT at least when they get thirsty you know that they will have some idea where to go to find water. I think to some extent all of us older preppers/survivalists experience things like this with the younger generation. They have lived a very sheltered life. My parents went to war. I grew up knowing that I might be called on to go fight and die for my country. I saw the results of war as older brothers of friends and members of my family came home from Vietnam and Korea.

We KNOW that we are mortal and that we have looked that in the eye. Some stuck their head in the sand and tried to ignore it and some ran from it. Most of us dealt with it. This affected both men and women. To some extent going and fighting was no easier than watching people you loved going and maybe never coming home or coming home with their souls so damaged that they never really came back.

We have given our kids and grandkids a safety and security that we never had. Our Parents and Grandparents never had it either. They just don’t feel that bad things can happen to THEM and don’t have the experiences to KNOW that it CAN happen. They have little interest in preparing for something silly than can’t ever happen to them. All we can do is lead the horse to water and hope that they will sort of remember where it was if they ever need it.We did the best that we could to give them something that we never had. It may be a two edged sword.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prep for my family and the future generations. I need little and want even less. The long term future is for the kids and grand kids. The short term futures is simply to be enjoyed as best we can.

barok129 and poltiregist like this.
  14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum coffee, good introduction, thank you.
    Just to satisfy my curiosity coffee, did your name come from the the 18th century themed movie "Revolution" or is there another reason for the choice? I do like the name by the way :)
    Keith.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Hey Y'all. Pre-Y2k survivalist that has been sitting on the sidelines for the past few years, looking to get back into it. Lots to catch up on.

barok129, coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    welcome to the forum.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Cheers from the other side of the pond.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  18. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Gatecrasher

Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum GC. Are you living in the UK?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    welcome aboard

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcomes. I'm in the US, in the state of...ah... Confusion mostly :)

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  22. savvybuilder

savvybuilder Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hello all, savvybuilder from undisclosed Washington State, been a closet prepper for many years. New to the forums but enjoying reading many of the educational posts. Cheers.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  23. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @savvybuilder

24. savvybuilder

savvybuilder Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Thank you @TMT Tactical. I suppose the Arizona valley answer to the current polar vortex is to put on a long sleeved shirt. :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is correct. My winter attire is an insulated shirt, long sleeves. My summer attire is a short sleeved shirt. I forgot were I left my jacket four years ago, have not missed it.

Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  26. Joe Stonecipher

Joe Stonecipher Expert Member
      148/173

Blog Posts:
    Daniel, How do I change my name being displayed n messages?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Joe Stonecipher

Joe Stonecipher Expert Member
      148/173

Blog Posts:
    Hi! My name is Joe and my family and I live in a rural area of Northeast Florida. My wife and I are both crippled with hip implants, so we'll always bug in if SHTF. I'm curious what people are saying and doing about this. If a big SHTF problem pops up I think the roads will be parking lots with no one going anywhere. So unless you can hike to your bug out location, you better get ready to bug in.

The last time something like this actually happened was when hurricane Hugo came by. We were all going to drive somewhere away from the coast, and return later, but all the roads became parking lots. The saddest thing was an extended family in about five vehicles came by and begged to use our bathroom toilets. We let them in and they were so gracious and thankful. The wives and children had been on the road for five hours with no bathroom breaks - and just from an area south of Jacksonville, that shouldn't have taken more than 45 minutes. This is what will really happen - so are you going to start shooting people who beg for use of your toilets?

We even offered to let them crash at our house, but they just knew they could get on the road and find a motel room somewhere. Oh well, I'm sure they spent the night in their cars and, thankfully, the hurricane missed us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    unless its a mandatory evacuation no one is going to leave on their own accord, they will sit and wait for help to arrive.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

30. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Joe & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

31. Doraglier

Doraglier Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi,

Greetings from the City of the Forest Hills, partially on the edges of the Brazilian outskirts, unsurprisingly somewhat drowned into the forest — now straight to the reason, I got to the point of a borderline paranoia, if that's even a thing. Got sick of having to deal with never-ending urban and natural dangers that ruined my day so many times. Started caring, stuck an umbrella and a kitchen cleaver in my backpack, went out with some extra weight around. But it wasn't enough... I never had enough gear to deal with every single gravel that befell upon my way. I added more stuff, and more and more and more...

I am able to worry less now you know. But only after I spend at least one hour checking and verifying if every single piece of equipment is indeed inside my bag and working properly before leaving, the bag that now weights almost ten kilos (even though it really doesn't seem to). I hope to find some kind of eye-opening information based off of other people's ways here. I can only hope... and search.

32. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Doraglier, & welcome to this forum. If you do not find what you are looking for, just choose what you think is the best board & ask questions.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:

34. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Edited to add: I accidentally hit "send" before I was finished writing my post... will post it in a bit.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Welcome to here, Doraglier. I can totally relate to what you are saying, and would like to share some things with you that I believe has kept me alive in some pretty bad situations. (As the saying goes, your mileage and circumstances may vary.)

I grew up in New Orleans (which bore the title of "The Murder Capital of the World" for years) and also spent 17 years in the swamps and bayou country south of there. I managed to escape my share of seriously bad situations over the years. I won't divulge the nature of them in this post because they are irrelevant to the lessons.

In some places, you can't help but think everything and everyone wants a piece of you... I learned that having a sense of relaxed awareness will serve you much better than being hypervigilant. Fear can be a gift, but improperly used, it can paralyze us to the point that we can't function well without "props" which can give us a false sense of security and lead to us being caught off-guard.

Case in point: The knock-out game. I have seen videos captured by security cameras that clearly showed how even a group of armed men can be easily overcome. One incident, in particular, comes to mind: In broad daylight, and not in a horrible neighborhood, a small group of UNARMED young thugs appeared out of seemingly nowhere and quickly bashed in the armed men’s heads from behind, which knocked them unconscious, then they inflicted heavy blows to the temples and face for pure meanness. The result was horrifying and deadly. It happened so quickly that the victims never saw what hit them.

Here are some things I learned from experience and also from some of the videos I have seen:

Lesson 1: Things can happen fast and furious when you least expect it, and a gun (or whatever you are carrying) may not always save you. But a well-tuned relaxed situational awareness probably will. The thugs looked “normal” by anyone’s standards, but they were walking behind the victims, and with lightning speed, knocked their victims unconscious, robbed them as they lay on the ground dying, and fled before anyone could stop them. The whole incident happened incredibly fast, which was one of the common threads among other similar videos.

Lesson 2: There is a fine line between having a relaxed situational awareness and being paranoid. Hypervigilance is hard to hide and can mark a paranoid person as vulnerable by thugs who are quick to pick up on this. Don’t be that person. On the other hand, the victims described above may have been too relaxed, and their guard was down because they were chatting and laughing moments before the incident happened. The same thing can--and does--happen to people in parking lots as they go to a movie theater, restaurant or grocery store, which brings me to Lesson three.

Lesson 3: Thugs like to seek out places where people usually let their guard down. Tourists are especially vulnerable as special targets. Try to blend in grey-man style, especially when visiting a new-to-you area. Don’t carry all of your protection in a bag; you may not have time to fish it out when you need it. If possible, have it in your hands or on your person. Even a small canister of pepper/mace spray is better than nothing. It may buy you time to get the upper hand in a fight for your life, or else run. It has served me well on a few occasions, but I was lucky. Unfortunately, some individuals, including those who are hopped up on certain drugs or have a mental illness, are able to physically override most pepper sprays. Supposedly certain brands can be used successfully, no matter what state of mind the assailant is in. One is Sabre CS Tear Gas/Red Pepper Personal Defense spray (available from Amazon.com or www.sabrered.com), which is good for situations where other forms of self-defense are prohibited. It is not recommended for indoor use which could also put you in harm's way. For indoor use, the Sabre Red Pepper Gel is a better choice.

Here is a run-down of the pros and cons of various sprays: https://www.asecurelife.com/best-pepper-sprays/

Whatever your favored means of defense, be ready, but also be sure of your intended target. It would be a shame if if hypervigilance played into a case of mistaken intentions. Especially if all the shady-looking guy wanted was directions or something...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    coffee, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. FunWillScreen

FunWillScreen New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi I am Michael, a 25-year-old fresh college grad in the US. You could say I am a general or practical prepper, a person who preps for more common things such as normal natural phenomenon like tornadoes, earthquakes, flooding, etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here! You are in large company here, Michael. Like yourself, many of us are interested in preparing for the most likely events as you mentioned. But as you can see, some of us have also ramped it up to more advanced disaster preparations.

Historical records show that just one or a few bumps in society's beltway are enough to send us all into a long-lasting tailspin. Speaking for myself, I don't wanna be caught chasing my tailfeathers if and when a severe SHTF situation happens.

savvybuilder and TMT Tactical like this.
  39. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    Hi-
    Sekelbos-from Africa
    Experienced Hunter & Camper
    [Some would call it 'survival' ]
    I'm here to learn and share....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:

Enjoying your posts already.

41. Georgiawoodsmen

Georgiawoodsmen New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hey all i am the Georgia Woodsmen of course i'm from Georgia, i have a group on Facebook ( Southeast Bushcraft Basecamp.) and i also have a YouTube channel called Georgia Woodsmen.
    I have traveled the united states and Germany some, been learning some wild editable plants and medical, Also do some trapping for the meat and fur both don't like to let anything go to waist.
    Let's see i love to hunt, fish, and do bushcraft or as i like to say woodcraft I am Irish and American Indian, mostly Irish lol.
    I go in the woods as often as i can sometimes once a month sometime two or three times that is were i feel more at home.
    I found the group in a search engine while looking for info on a snapsack and thought i could learn some more here. so thank you for letting me join y'all, hope i can be of some help to everyone. Georgia Woodsmen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:

43. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Georgia Woodsman

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Spellmyname

Spellmyname New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Spell here. I am best suited to provide administrative and strategic support from anywhere needed. Otherwise I am a jack of all trades. Little bit of know-how here and there, and the job is done.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Spell, welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Spell,

Welcome to MSF.com

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. Spellmyname

Spellmyname New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Looking forward to sharing and getting some ideas on here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Spell, Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

49. howler

howler Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    hi guys ,new to here,from australia,jack of all trades too,but hope to learn more and even help others where i can

Keith H. and Sonofliberty like this.
  50. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Howler.

TMT Tactical and howler like this.