Reading An Interesting And Informative Book..

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by watcherchris, Jan 24, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am reading a book titled "Castaway" by Lucy Irving.

This book is a diary of a woman who responded to an advertisement to live on a deserted Island off the coast of Australia for one year. This took place in the 1980s

I found this book very interesting and informative on a survivial situation ...not only mentally but physically in a manner not spoken often in most blogs.

What Lucy makes clear in this book is the hazards of "Paradise" and the hoards of insects and other nasty's to be found there.

Insect bites with their poor nutrition became septic and have long terms effects on their health. This is emphasized from the beginning of the book to the end.

It brings out the point that survival in those conditions/situations is often not what we tend to believe or expect.

I also have her second book "Faraway" about another family who did similar at a later time...and asked Lucy Irving to record for them...their experiences.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that is something often not thought of. Also as climate change gets worse, we will get the tropical nasties moving into the areas where it was once too cold for them.
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid three of my favorite books were Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson amd Mysterious Island. It is sort of funny. Looking back, even as a child I had a fascination with surviving unexpected situations.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I read when i had too in high school i took easy classes my spelling is horrible i learn best by doing while others were doing ?i was fishing hunting working i mowed yards fixed mowers cars trucks and farm equipment i still have people i knew as kid that i work on their equipment because when im done its fixed right reading and understanding i can do but i allways found it better to do it myself and learn

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Robinson Crusoe is still a good read Tex:)
    Keith.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I listened to it as an audio book not long ago while I was fishing.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one.
    Keith.

8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm,

I too like to listen to certain lectures when I am working or traveling to and fro work.

I like to listen to history , philosophy, economics, religion, politics..etc.

Much of this is covered in a 72 course lecture series called "The Ever War."

Occasionally I put on some music when working but mostly I like material which causes me to Muse..not to amuse.

Audio books are an excellent way to learn and cover certain materials while doing other things.

I've been doing this since back in the days of cassettes..but now have put a lot onto flash drives. Truly mazing how much a flash drive can hold...verses cassettes and or discs.....or to borrow a phrase....'We've come a long way baby!!"

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my 3 books growing up were:
    Moby Dick.
    Children of the New Forest.
    Black Arrow.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a series of lectures on Psychology and another on Astrophysics. They are fascinating. I like to learn new things and reach out into the lesser explored areas. I think that if we don't screw ourselves up there is potential for wildly huge advancements in both of these areas in the relatively near future.

There is a "smart" pill out now. Indications are that it is real and does work. The human mind is capable of so much more than it is currently used for. You have the idiot savant type phenomenon and cases of things like this brought on by injury. Can you imagine if they could cause this sort of thing intentionally?

Dark matter and dark energy are just a scientific way of basically saying "It's Magic". I suspect that when we start to reach understanding about things like this that it is going to change how we view everything.

Audio books make your travel or commute times a lot more pleasurable. My wife loves the books and has often had commutes to work that were and hour or more. The books turned these times into some of her favorite times of the week. Often when she gets home she will end up sitting in the car for a while before coming in if she is at a really good point in the book. She and I are both voracious readers. She has started getting kindle books with audio added so she can read it at night then listen to it on the way to and from work. She loves it.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  12. John Grit

John Grit New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Insects? We have plenty in Florida. When in one of my favorite swamps, I am forced to keep my arms and legs covered, no matter how hot and humid it is. I also wear a hat with a bug net attached to it. The other day, in my hunting cabin, I woke up with ants biting me all over my legs. That was in my cabin. Sleeping in a bed! Not lying on the ground in the woods. Bugs show no mercy in FL.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that's the book which they made into a film starring Oliver Reed.

14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is like that in the Territory in the wet season, 6 months of it! I can remember sitting up all night drinking rum & burning buffalo dung! Eventually I had had enough, after 10 years I moved to where we are now in New England.
    Keith.

15. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I grew up on a working horse and cattle ranch here in Arizona. My friends were Apache, Mexican, and gringo cowboys, vaqueros, and wranglers. I learned from them....but I went on to get two masters degrees. I learn from doing and from reading. One thing I know...is that I will NEVER be stranded on a desert island. One because we don't have desert islands in Arizona. Two, because I have zero interest in going on a cruise (neither does my wife). Three, because I have a sneaking suspicion I will look shitty in a grass skirt. Four, because I wouldn't be lucky enough to be stranded with an all-girl college cheerleading team.