Real! Pre-1900 Shelf Stable Apple Butter, A Lost Art

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by elkhound, Sep 15, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. elkhound

elkhound Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    skillcult does some pretty advanced homesteading/living skills.he is/was a pretty well known primitive skills teacher back in the day when younger.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. elkhound

elkhound Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
  3. elkhound

elkhound Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    2 years taste test and condition of product...

danil54grl, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      385/460

Blog Posts:
    that's awesome we have some real apple butter in the cupboard.

there is a old saying used in arguments it went like" you don't know shit from apple butter"

TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  5. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      377/460

Blog Posts:
    I love apple butter. I haven't found any good stuff in over 30 years. My grandmother used to make it up until she passed in the early 80s.

danil54grl, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  6. danil54grl

danil54grl Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    Woods don't grow well this far south so I make pear butter and pumpkin butter. Once I make it I do Process in a canner to make it shelf stable. Hadn't thought about it just covering would work. I may have to try out when making my pear butter this year just to see. I won't try that method with pumpkins though.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Dalewick

Dalewick Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    We make apple butter and it will last at least 7 years (Never had any last longer than that) and we can as much as possible when the apples produce well. Last year was a great year. We canned 42 quarts last year from our tree. I cook it in the crock pot until it's ready, then into sterilized jars, lids, flipped over for 20 minutes and then turned upright until they pop sealed. Last many years that way. Not sure how long. It gets eaten to fast.
    We also do pumpkin but put it in the pressure cooker for safety. Planning on putting up cider this year if there are enough apples.

Dale