Real reason why the average person is not mentally prepared?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by hades_leae, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I have just thought about this and wanted to see if I can get some honest answers.

I really want to know why the average person does not prepare, even if it's just 2 or 3 months of food in advance, emergency supplies like flashlights, etc, just the basic things that could get a family through a rough time.

Why is there so much discussion about people not caring about SHTF possible situations, but when problems occur, they all rush to the stores at the last minute, and get caught up in the jam.

Why can't we practice being prepared on a national level? Why do the governments look at preparing in a negative way? Why can't we all teach our kids in school about survival, and what it means to be human in the 21st century?

Any good answers?

iamawriter likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people just live for today, even if they live in countries where natural disasters happen they still believe it can never happen to them, so they carry on without giving it a second thought, until it happens of course and then they panic.

Mr Boots, Para173 and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    lonewolf has hit the nail on the head. Many people have not experienced anything more than a blackout. Most live in denial, "it can't happen to me". To prepare for a disaster is like saying "I believe this could happen to me", so they don't prepare.
    Keith.

4. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To add to the Mod's post above, some just don't care. Some people tend to live in a fantasy world until reality hits and then it's like "Oh, I didn't think that could happen to me". Almost similar to like death, there are some things people really don't want to think about, much less consider. And in all honesty, there is something to be said for "mass hysteria". Now on some level, what is will be and when it happens, there's chaos. And for the most part, things are planned that way. If it was a perfect world, we wouldn't even be discussing this. So because it isn't, you have to realize that there are certain things that are and certain things that aren't. People believe and do what they choose to believe, and when/if SHTF just happens to be one of those things.

Para173 likes this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    people just aren't going to prepare for disaster when everything is going well, most people just haven't experienced a serious event in their lives and they just think it will never happen to them.
    people in the past realised that they had to put supplies back in the good times to see them over the lean times, it was just common sense, but that has all gone by the wayside now.
    people wont know about bad times until it hits them and then it'll be too late to do anything about it, they'll just have to suffer like everyone else.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Living in an urban society people and especially kids are not taught how to survive and live in a survival situation simply because they don't have the need for it, the education system is a mess anyway. There are people in the world that don't even know how to CPR or they will run away from the responsibility if they see someone hurt badly, they won't even call an ambulance. Our society is messed up and it's hard to repair it.

7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Most of society only see's everything else but the truth. There are all kinds of warnings about natural disasters that could take place , that never make it into the main stream media. All of the side effects from radiation produced by our devices, satellites and even other things we're not aware of will have an effect on our planet. The majority of people are not thinking that bible prophecies of end times could come true, or that there's some secrets that there government is keeping from them that will leave them screwed in the end if they don't look into it.

8. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    One of the biggest problems is that almost everyone is simply put in a safezone. A zone where everyone feels relatively safe and not in any immediate danger. As @tb65 mentioned, a lot of news about upcoming possible natural disasters are never made into the main stream because people will either ignore, or many will panic and will complain that they're being scared over something that might not take place.

tb65 likes this.
  9. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think most people think that the possibility of any pandemic events in today's modern world is absurd, most are so caught up living such a fast pace life, so engrossed in technological advances that they really don't have time to even think this through and SHTF is most likely the last thing on their minds.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Governments can't control freemen!
    Governments can control slaves to the system!
    Preppers reduce there dependence on the system
    So government loses control of preppers.
    To succeed the government needs to be complete control of all people!

Anything that reduces control is bad for business so needs to be demonised, shunned, shamed, banned etc etc!

Sheeple are just compliant slaves to the system!

Preppers/survivalists are freemen in the making

11. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Some people I talk to are way over confident about government infrastructure and organizations like red cross. I have talked to some that wholeheartedly believe if anything bad happens, then Fema, Red Cross, and all their favorite charities will just line up to offer hotel vouchers and free burritos or something. They really think it will all be handled for them. They expect that police and national guard will keep order, fire departments will put out fires, and they can pull up a lawnchair and watch. They are so sure that all these agencies will line up to save them that it doesn't occur to them to try to save themselves. I think some people have unrealistic expectations perhaps.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people haven't got a clue and they never will.

13. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about Great Britain but Americans are pampered to the point of being spoiled rotten. They pretty much have everything that they want by either asking for it or buying it. Most Americans have never had to fight for their survival. They've never lived under wild, wicked conditions where you could get killed and eaten by wild beasts. Most of them have never jumped from an airplane, rappelled down a cliff or from a helicopter, walked along a steep mountain trail or gone without food for more than 2 days. Good old mom and dad have always fed them, clothed them and chauffeured them to their games, appointments and needed medical appointments. They've never been anywhere that they weren't more than a few blocks away from hospitals or police protection. Most people don't know what REAL violence is, how to handle it or how to efficiently deliver it. In other words, they've led sheltered lives. This sheltered life system has produced a generation of weak people who can't think ahead of trouble because they've never experienced it.

I have this idea that fate is a spirit being who is put on this planet to make some of us become aware. Fate is a being who marches some of us down a road, at bayonet point on the end of a rifle, to force us to become aware whether we like it or not. Fate will not let you deviate from the path that it has chosen for you because it wants you to learn from your trip no matter how badly you mess up, no matter how badly you try to resist or try to change things. Those of use have learned from out past experiences were subject to fate having taught us well or we learned well from history. Either way, a number of us have come ahead of the majority of people who will be devastated once their 3 day supply of food dries up.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with all the above, Same in Britain. we now have a different generation or generations with a different attitude, forget the "blitz spirit" of WW2 it no longer exists, its more of a case of "whats in it for me?" most people have never lived with out electricity or piped water and drainage, anyone under about 50 only buys their food in supermarkets and talks on a mobile phone, pay phones are a quaint item from another time. take away all their modern conveniences and they will be as helpless as a newborn baby. and "common sense" just isn't common any more, your not allowed to have initiative, you cant do anything unless you have a "chit"(docket) for it!!!

15. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Not everything can be planned for. We had a mini tornado a couple of years ago Who could have ever thought that this would visit us? But yes, there is a thing called 'rainy day' . It is not difficult to plan for that. Having said that anticipating trouble would mean expecting it as someone said

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Let me comment based on my observation on the character and behavior of people. Me and my family are always prepared not exactly with apocalypse but with disaster. We have a food cabinet that is full of supplies, flashlight and batteries, and other things that you may need in a calamity like clean water. But most of the people I know don't have anything to show. When the unexpected big flood occurred in 2009, so many in our neighborhood were caught flat-footed, meaning they had nothing to eat on the next day simply because there was no electricity, no charcoal for cooking and nothing to cook. That's my simple observation that I guess can be applied generally.

17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess the best way to find out the answer to this question, would be to ask a group of people who don't prepare. I think to some extent this is a particular mindset, & it is not new. Back in the 18th century, people like this existed & it was all the more astonishing because of the life they lived. One group of people settled in a forest in the New World. To a man they were apparently scared of the Indians, so they rarely ventured far from their cabins. A traveller passed that way one day & left a record of his visit, he said that none of the cabins that he saw had any doors on them. I can give you other examples of this type of thing. I never have managed to get a handle on this way of thinking.
    Keith.

18. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Its like people have figured out that what you have in life is the moment you have now when we talk about time. Still others don't see themselves being maroonde by emergencies as well as good old procrastination. Nowadays, most people are happy go lucky and planning for emergencies upsets the apple cast of perceived security and providence.

19. wizzywiz

wizzywiz New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The answer lies in the way we were socialized. A lot of efforts should be put into our schools. Awareness should be created about this issue.