Recent Survival Story (not Mine)

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Pragmatist, May 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...eacher-forest-amanda-eller-maui-a8930016.html

Article tells of a recent survival story. Good info in article.

Note the search of 17 (seventeen) days.

Note the "hundreds of volunteers,..". This must be properly managed.

About 4 years ago I participated in a large-scale SAR at Charlottesville, Virginia. It is a major project with costs. Usual rule with caveats for eg the season, statistically it is a search for 51 hours, then a winding down phase.

Besides being skilled in selecting safe water and edible local plants, Amanda is also skilled in sociology and political science: she moved from Maryland to Hawaii.

Weedygarden and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Hundreds of volunteers, police, dogs, drones? Sounds like a great place to hide except being in Hawaii.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    17 days is that all? its not food that would be a problem especially in a place like Hawaii its water.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The article mentions police dogs. OK, uh ..., but were they tracker dogs?

Next time fly-in some tracker dogs out of Alabama, Louisiana, ..., somewhere there is racoon hunting tradition. Bring in the Bloodhounds, the Blue-Ticks. These critters will track anything, even if a person walks in a stream-bed, they leave molecules on the plants growing beside the water and Buford the Bloodhound will detect them. The odds a person can escape the noses of these dogs is slim to none.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pepper-wont-mask-your-scent-from-tracking-dogs-2015-6

https://www.quora.com/Interacting-w...whats-the-best-way-to-throw-them-off-my-trail

This next article on evading the dogs bespeaks desperation:
    https://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/how-to-evade-and-escape-tracking-dogs.html

5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    The soon to be implemented trend is to deploy dogs in tandem with drone support.

I read the last article on tracking dogs. It's obvious the author never worked COIN - counterinsurgency operations. Rin Tin Tin, the Dalmatians and the rest are mammals with respiratory systems that can't handle certain gases.

A MAJOR reason dogs are not readily used from out of area eg Alabama, Louisiana.......regardless of Memorandums of Agreement (MOA), is costs. Public budgets are stretched to the breaking point - and the public doesn't want to pay for all this.

I'm busy now getting some better quality food for the Red Cross shelter in South Carolina. Another Florence type of hurricane """might""" arrive next month and cause flooding.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This woman drank the water. In the short time she was out there, she did not become sick from drinking it. Long term however, one wonders; I'd have to read-up on what parasites occupy the "clean" mountain streams of Hawaii. Maybe the locals evolved resistance, however this woman is a haoli big time, she's white.

I don't know if she was able to splint her broken leg. I searched and found nothing about her having done so. I saw pictures of her barefoot -- not good. But think, if she was without shoes or shoe, then she could have used the shoelace as a binder for a make-do splint.

The photos I found of her show a person malnourished. She lost 15 lbs (one stone, 7 kilo). She started off skinny, so she had little weight to lose.

Me, I NEED to lose 15 lbs. I'm going to start calling my stomach, "Survival Gut". As in, "This is my Survival Gut. I put some serious pizza effort into this! Just look the other way. None of your business!"

Back to topic. A small kit could have helped her out so much: plastic fist-size water filter or straws, paracord, plastic handled pocket knife, AA battery flashlight ("torch" for you Brits), space blanket (which can also be used as a sun-reflector signalling device, rain cover, water gatherer, ...), compass, fire-starter w/hot-burn media (I've got some burn packs that are almost dangerous), 1 or 2 oz. 100% DEET, ... . A tiny survival pack can weigh next to nothing.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  7. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Can we discuss the survival uses for coconuts in this thread? jk

Whenever I read these "lost in the woods for days" stories I always go to the Radio Reference (radioreference.com) site and look in their database for public and private radio repeaters that are in the area, and with few exceptions there are always a lot. This one is no exception. For a $25 Baofeng and an hour of time programming it, she probably just could have radioed the police, fire, or EMS directly. Or even the Hyatt, Marriot, or Westin hotels on their repeaters. Or the obvious, a ham radio repeater and asked for help. There's a least a couple dozen repeaters on Maui, and it's a pretty small island. Just my 2 cents.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    GC,

A small survival kit is still needed.

The lady might have had a Baofeng and it was damaged when she fell.

Even a satellite phone doesn't always get a connection.

The plan must be to consider that you're always on your own.

If last year's mistaken nuclear alert was a real event and she got lost, the island's police, fire, EMS and the hotels don't have a fleet a rescue vehicles at the ready.

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  9. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree, a radio (preferably a two-way) and a little homework for programming it before leaving, and have it in the kit. Nothing is guaranteed of course, she could have lost her survival kit like she lost her shoes... In many if not most cases like hers, this was a personal SHTF (self-induced due to poor decisions on her part) while the rest of the world went merrily along. People were trying to help find her, with a radio she could have even talked to the SAR team on their frequency when they got close.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Either of these, just pulled from the wife's truck, would have just made it a bad day for her instead of a personal SHTF.

6e6528e1df17744be44680c9bd8d59c5.jpeg

Comms are important, and the compass on that whistle would have helped a lot too.

howler, TMT Tactical and Weedygarden like this.
  11. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Her, the photographer, and "especially" the editor.

Perhaps all three could go on e-bay and each purchase a "Boy Scouts Manual" from the 40's or 50's or 60's (Before it became a homosexual-pedophile sewer). Learn the proper and safe way to hold and/or carry an axe.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.