Rechargeable Vacuum Jar Sealer...

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by watcherchris, Mar 11, 2024.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have picked up this rechargeable vacuum sealer for Mason Jars. Until recent I did not know that a rechargeable version was available. It will seal regular sized mason jars as well as the wide mouth jars.

I do have food saver machine with the plastic bags but also have the hose and mason Jar adapters for sealing a vacuum on a mason jar..regular and also wide mouth jars but wanted to try out this gadget as well....as it is indeed a bit more portable than the food saver.

here..this link...

Amazon.com: Dicorain Electric-Mason-Jar-Vacuum-Sealer, Wide Mouth and Regular Mouth Mason Jar Vacuum Sealer Kit, Vacuum Sealer for Jars with Opener & 5 Pairs of Lids: Home & Kitchen

I Plan to seal up into mason jars....a goodly supply of elbow macaroni...as well as other items into Mason Jars.

Took it for a test ride on two mason jars and it sealed fine..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hoping this works out and if so may make the purchase of another such rechargeable mason jar sealer.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    parents always used Kilner Jars, never had a vacuum sealer, the trick was to fill whatever they were preserving with liquid right to the top, this excluded any air and stopped anything from going off.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    lonewolf...

I had to think about what you meant by Kilner Jars...and yes..I remember them. ...with the red type.gasket seal on them.

And yes...they can be vacuum sealed...as well....by heating then closing and then allowed to cool....thus pulling the vacuum on them. Very similar to Mason Jars...and yes...many people kept items in them for a long long time.

I plan to get more mason Jars and lids for them while I can.

I do have a couple of those Kilner Jars around here.....but not quite sure how long that gasket material lasts.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think the gaskets and maybe even the tops can be purchased seperately.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never known of jars that didn't self-seal. After the pressure cooker cools down enough to get the thing's lid off, you put the jar sealer lids on -- y'know the thin puppies with the rubber seal. As the jars cool, the lids are sucked down onto the jars' openings. After those cool and the lids are sucked down solid -- they snap down -- you put the threaded part of the lid on.

If a seal is compromised the lid can snap up -- very audible if you are standing nearby. The good jars are shelved. When opening these jars, you need to hear that distinct pop when you open the inner sealing lid. I the seal is broken = lid NOT indented = no pop = DANGER! That must be thrown away. Could have regular bad bacteria, or far worse, botulism.

I've never seen anything else.

If you are storing dried rice or beans in a container, they don't have to be boiled. You should however put these in the freezer as a first line of defense against insect eggs. Then, after they are out of the freezer, toss in some oxygen absorbers to ensure that no bugs can grow in there. Then seal the container. I know of no critters that breathe nitrogen or CO2. Anaerobes require water. Thus, DRIED beans or rice ... or noodles don't support life (noodles must be brittle dry / totally dry).

Drying veggie slices in a dehumidifier (we have one) is a dynamite idea that millions of Americans do. Usually you salt these a bit for flavor and for extra drying. A tight container with oxygen absorber packs last a good long while, plus as you snack on these, you just slice and dry more. A whole lot of people dry banana slices. We dry the hot peppers we grow. These are dried whole / not sliced. My grandmother strung peppers up with sewing thread and dried multiple strings on her screened-in back porch. In her dirt basement / giant root cellar were many shelves of jarred preserves and potatoes resting until spring -- cut out the eyes and plant them.

I regularly spice food with 3 yr. old dried peppers. Just the other day I ate out-of-date pickles. I also threw some out -- the lid wasn't down and upon opening, it didn't whooooosh, i.e. no seal = into the trash. Red cabbage will last beyond its expiration date. BUT, no seal = toss it in the trash. I don't even throw that into the compost pile. I consider it dangerous.

------------

1. Old Geezer
      Oh, just remembered -- I threw out some old pizza sauce I found stored where I forgot where I'd stored it (along with some other stuff). The pizza sauce lid was not sealed. Out of curiosity, I pored some in a non-food container to smell it and to look at it. The smell was not "off", yet it smelled as though it wouldn't make a good food item. The look however was bad, bad. It didn't act like paste ether. Two years out of date DESTROYED this product. Too, tomato sauces must be carefully monitored as they age -- anything with lots of tomato ingredients! BAD bacteria can grow in there!!! bulged can or popped lid on a glass jar = throw that away. You WILL get sick. I'd not even feed that to an animal.

Old Geezer, Mar 11, 2024
  8. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I bought the vacuum sealer on a whim (should be here Monday-Tuesday) and my plan for it is storing dry goods like flour/beans/vegetables et al with an oxygen absorber in each jar, obviously not needed for pressure canning and for about ten quid I've lost nothing if its rubbish.

Any other members using Timu? If there are maybe we could start a thread and share whats good or bad about the items we buy there?

9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The wife uses Temu. She has been happy with their products. I won't buy anything from them. I won't support China sellers if I can help it.

10. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    A noble cause TMT but look around your home and see what£ made in the USA
    £6/$7.25 blue tooth, 3.5mm jack socket and Micro SD slot, and they work very well, way better than expected
    https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg..._1710367659683_usse0zgwva&refer_page_sn=10045

less than a dollar fifty, you'll never peel carotts/cucumbers/courgettes faster in your life
    https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg..._1710367887904_u42qbm4857&refer_page_sn=10045

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Yes even when the same items are sold on Temu as on Amazon and are both made by the same company in China, I still buy from Amazon. I want the American company to stay in business at least until Trump is able to bring back the manufacturing industry. Never feed the critter trying to kill you.

TMT Tactical, Mar 13, 2024
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.