Recognising/Identifying Punk Wood & More

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Keith H., May 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

[​IMG]
    My wife cut this out of a dead willow tree.

2. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Last October, we stayed at a campground in the Grand Canyon. There are rules about not using any dead wood laying about for your campfire. Instead, we had to buy small cords of wood at a nearby campground store. The wood was ridiculously expensive, and did not burn very well. The fires were hard to start with this wood (we went through two bottles of lighter fluid trying to assist) and did not last long.

It would have been so much nicer to use punk wood or small pieces on the ground in the trees around us. I guess there was a reason for not picking up dead wood lying there, but I have no idea what it could be.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Punkwood is a plant TINDER, used to make fire with flint & steel or with a fire-bow. It is not kindling & does not flame unless you add fuel such as candle wax or tallow. You can use it to carry fire with you.
    Keith.
    More on flint & steel fire lighting for survival here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/search?q=flint+&+steel+fire+lighting