Refining- Perfecting Disaster Responses

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Nov 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-11/lu-nrp110419.php

Good morning all,

Per ...

Article is about a project at Lancaster University, UK to improve the existing preparedness system.

Researchers will be "looking across ... operations decisions developing fast and efficient algorithms ..."

I am not a distinguished professor of management science but still know that in many countries "one natural disaster can trigger another and that flooding anywhere affecting human life can cause a health emergency. It can also involve animals.

Prefessor Zogrefos is wrong to believe it's guaranteed that response interventions provide "significant economic and societal benefits..." It depends. Rebuild on the flood plain, rebuild in the hurricane alley, ... guess what !

Usually it's by indirect means but "the affected communities" pay for the responses to include Lancaster University's efficient logarithms.

Well, "building a system" to distribute disaster relief "in the presence of civil disobedience and societal conflict" really does require additions to efficient logarithms. One addition is geometry calibrated in mils, for indirect fire support. Sandhurst knows about "real world complexities" involving "solution algorithms".

What's needed is funding. Consider liquidating Lancaster University and ask Parliament to send the proceeeds to SOUTH Sudan where the money is needed.

Meanwhile, back at the faculty lounge ......

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I check the source here https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=EP/T003979/1

Look just another useless research for getting grant £

If the AI they were developing can actually taking account of civil disobedience and social conflict in the country the size and as diverse as Indonesia (of which this so-called research is aiming for), then the AI should be able to run for the top political office in the next election in 2024.

I'm writing this from Indonesia perspective because that is this research were aiming for. What this so called researcher failed to take into account are, the availability & readiness of logistic support asset, such as utility helicopter (Chinook, Super Puma, Huey, Kamov, etc), STOL capable planes (Herc, Atlas, CN-235), amphibious vessel (LST, LPD), hospital ship (both military & civilian including that from my almamater who has been around providing free medicare to the frontier region). That merely from mobility aspect alone, and still doesn't take into account the time needed to move from the country logistical hub to the affected area not to mention the bad weather condition that may hamper aerial delivery, also the time . Furthermore there is also the time it takes to procure the needed relieve materials (this actually happen last year)

And if all those above aren't complicated enough there is also the proliferation of hoax / fake news that spreading misleading news / info to spread further panic or chaos.

There are plentiful other aspects that I haven't wrote that those researcher failed to take into accounts that will be too long if i have to write it here.

My point is, the researcher are either money grubber or just out of touch with reality. Although they might succeed in the country the size of Sudan (either North or South Sudan)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Of course these distinguished professors of uselessness are looking for money.

What is designated "frontier region" ? Iranian Jawa ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Before 2015 it was the outer lying islands or border region (lesser Sunda islands chain, Moluccas archipelago). However since 2015 (President Jokowi administration) infrastructure development along with universal health care has reach nearly every part of the country although there is still need for medical professional & medical technician here and there (not enough man power even in Java), and those hunter-gatherer community who live deep inside the jungle of Borneo or the mountainous jungle of Papua (majority of them are big supporter of President Jokowi ) still unable to receive the full benefits of the universal health care & education due to the remoteness of the region. Unfortunately building infrastructure to break those remoteness takes time.

However these days the medical support ship from my almamater focusing more in disaster relief these days (there are 2 major earthquake and a volcanic trigger tsunami just last year), and not sure what mother nature have in store next year (she really love redecorating the landscape lately).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Real good information. It assists.

Those "hunter-gatherers" folks are knowledgeable. They know the benefits of health care. We've got - large - groups of the citizenry not getting "free" flu shots - and they're frequently sick ...... with the flu !

Here in the US we've got a similar problem with too few medical professionals and trained staffers. This is changing. The medical cartels are being broken up and opportunities available for study with follow-on job opportunities.

With universal health care - and I'm sure Surabaya has an decent delivery program - do consider following up on Old Geiser's recommendation for additional medical evaluations for your condition.

Can you clarify the mention of your almamater and the medical support ship ?

My day is made ! There's a special place in my psyche for fond memories of the "Spice Islands".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Here is the project website (don't worry it in English)
    https://www.ksatriaairlangga.org/

The choice of the vessel is tricky, because it need to enter shallow water and could be repaired by traditional shipwright across the archipelago, thus the decision to use traditional (and yet proven) Phinisi design rather than modern design.

And just in case you are wondering how shallow the water, suffice to say at some place I used to walk (on foots rather than swim) between islands during low tide.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

That's a high-quality website ! It's well organized and formatted.

I'm familiar with shallow draft vessels.

Yes, understand, some areas at low tide are walkable. My headache was - dredging - . One of our boats would have an 8 foot draft and need to drop the ramp in 6 feet (2 meters) of water. American ingenuity involved a sturdy wire rope to our LST vessel and other end to a Cat tractor and try to pull the vessel close enough for the ramp to drop so as to roll off some expensive rolling stock of some sort.

Recently, the US Army launched a 5 (five !) foot draft vessel. The joke was that the vessel was really designed for US industry.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    5' draft boat will work well in riverine (brown water environment) or maybe a lake, as long it wont be heading into open sea. But then again there is a river here (in Sumatera) where you can surf, and I doubt any flat bottom boat would survive such river.

Around here the army LCU is crewed or assisted by navy personnels because by its nature army guys just weren't trained for driving sea going vessel especially with cavalry platoon as their cargo (each tank is about 60 metric ton)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Since the US military is so large......didn't say efficient; just large...... , there are many jokes and a body of lore about "non-traditional" assignments.

It's the US Marines who know - or should know - that an azimuth (land navigation) is about the same as a bearing (water navigation).

I have too much stuff here in my study. Some day, depending on my arthritic condition, I might be able to find my notes, contracts, maps and charts of a river I worked on. It might be the Sumatra place you're describing above.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Here,

Sadly the local gov't there is full of shit, and doesn't care whatsoever to developing the area into tourism destination despite the potential. The governor even went on vacation to Thailand along with his family during major disaster few months ago :mad:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    In most case your maps has severely outdated. Mother nature redecorating the landscape in rather routine basis here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Indonesia is maturing. When a governor goes on an out-of-country vacation, especially during a major disaster, ......

I hold the opinion that local governments are usually just too small to govern within a large political structure. They serve as fiefdoms or treasuries for modern versions of "war lords". Here, we have so many counties and small cities, they interfere with development. The hurricane-battered Puerto Rico had / still has but in a form of bankruptcy, 60 political units - all with the authority to tax.

I have Garuda maps, British Admiralty charts and stuff from Subic, Philippines plus from MPH store maps from this bookstore in Singapore. Understand channels and shorelines change over the years.

TMT Tactical likes this.