Rejuvenating A Car Battery/wet Cell...

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, Dec 11, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Not quite sure if this belongs in this section as this is really a sort of contingency ploan...but here goes..

I have been thinking about this project for some time now and have purchased one of these about a year back and never removed it from the box until this weekend.

here this link..

Associated Equipment US20 6/12 Volt Value Battery Charger – MPR Tools & Equipment

What I have is a condition wherein my Truck battery ...has been sitting for some time and the truck not run....hence the battery would not take a charge past 11.2 volts. after three days on the charger....a smaller 12 volt batterey charger..

And so I unboxed this 200 amp starting charger...and decided to go to work.

The drill I have been following on U tube...is this one...here....this link...

How To RENEW CAR & TRUCK Batteries at Home & SAVE BIG MONEY DO THIS ONE - YouTube

After three 15 minute 200 amp starting charges..one hour of cooling off between the 15 minute 200 amp sessions.... checked the voltage with a voltmeter...and it was 13.6 volts. and all the cells are well bubbling as per the video.

I need to go back and do the last two cycles at 200 amps and then remove the charger and put it for a couple of days on my trickle charger....or what is called a battery minder..

THE reason I am trying this out is that if what I am thinking is coming....is coming.....a battery is going to become a very very valuable commodity...as well as those who can keep them going.

I also have several olde car batteries out in my garage including the one I use to operate my remote garage ham radio station.

I also plan to do this with my olde Deep Cycle battery and hope it too can be brought back to life..

Any of the members here bought a new vehicle battery of recent ??/ They have gone up significantly in price as have many commodities out here.

Fingers crossed......

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will update this post when I remove the battery out my trickle charger and reinstall it in my truck.

Again..fingers crossed...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had a dead battery the other day. Probably the battery was the original, 2018. Jumped it and the engine recharged it. The alternator isn't bad. Didn't have to use it, but I have a battery charger for our car batteries and lawn tractor.

But the battery simply didn't have the oooomfff it once had. Got to looking at it. Checked the cells to see if water needed to be added. Water levels were down. Started filling with distilled water. I kept pouring and pouring ... and pouring. The cells were VERY low on water. Thing is that I'd just had the car serviced and they didn't check the dang battery.

Me, I've gotten too used to having sealed batteries. Made me lazy.

I'm gonna get a new battery, because I believe this battery has been damaged. If a battery goes too long with low water levels the lead can de-laminate off the cell's plates. This inevitably happens with all batteries over time. De-laminated lead can gather in the bottom of batteries and cause electrical shorts.

If the acidity levels are whacked, one can buy acid and refresh the cells; however, most times, a dead battery is a dead battery.

One thing to always check is the charging voltage the alternator provides the battery. Put your multi-meter on it and check the voltage. Sometimes the voltage regulator goes bad. I once had a strange problem. The voltage regulator went bad and the battery got hit with over-voltage. That is very rare, even strange:confused:, yet, "welcome to life".

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably a flat battery rather than a dead one.

1. Old Geezer
      Hopefully so.

Old Geezer, Dec 12, 2022
  5. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    This bloke earns his pay

6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When working with lead, one must have robust ventilation. Breathing fumes guaranties poisoning. Lead gets deposited throughout the body including the bones.

Lead poisoning:

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/leadtoxicity/signs_and_symptoms.html

"Low Exposure Dose Signs and Symptoms
    • Irritability
    • Lethargy
    • Mild fatigue
    • Myalgia or paresthesia
    • Occasional abdominal discomfort
    "Moderate Exposure Dose Signs and Symptoms
    • Arthralgia
    • Constipation
    • Difficulty concentrating/Muscular exhaustibility
    • Diffuse abdominal pain
    • General fatigue
    • Headache
    • Tremor
    • Vomiting
    • Weight loss
    "High Exposure Dose Signs and Symptoms
    • Colic (intermittent, severe abdominal cramps)
    • Encephalopathy-may abruptly lead to seizure, change in consciousness, coma, and death
    • Paresis or paralysis"

upload_2022-12-14_10-43-29.png

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lead+pois...xt&atb=v320-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

-------------------------

Treatment ... what treatment there is. Significant encephalopathy likely will not be fully resolved. Exposure in children can often permanently stunt intellectual development. Treatment in adults can take months and even then, the physician must cross her fingers and hope for the best.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-lead-poisoning-is-treated-4160802

" Prescriptions

"Prescription drugs may be used to treat neurological symptoms of lead poisoning. They do not help clear lead from the body but instead help control symptoms of a condition known as lead encephalopathy.

"Lead encephalopathy occurs when lead penetrates the membrane surrounding the brain and starts breaking down tissues. This leads to brain swelling (cerebral edema). Symptoms include the loss of muscle control, an altered mental state, delirium, and seizures.13

"Prescription medications used to treat lead encephalopathy include:13

Anticonvulsants: A class of drugs used to prevent seizures
    Corticosteroids (steroids): A class of anti-inflammatory drugs used to reduce brain swelling
    Osmitrol (mannitol): An injectable diuretic used to reduce brain swelling

"Chelation Therapy

"Chelation therapy is a treatment that uses drugs that remove toxic metals from the body. The drugs work by binding (chelating) to metals in the blood and removing them from the body in urine or stool.14

"There are several chelation drugs used to treat lead poisoning. Some are given intravenously (through a needle inserted into a vein) and others are given orally (by mouth in pill form).

"Lead chelating agents approved for use in the United States include:15

Chemet (succimer): Taken by mouth
    Cupramine (D-penicillamine): Taken by mouth
    Dimercaprol: Delivered intravenously
    Versinate (calcium disodium EDTA): Delivered intravenously"
    ----------------------------
    Lead encephalopathy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563167/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'll bet you have all the meds to treat lead poisoning in your stockpile OG LOL

8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Whereas I do not have the med.s to treat lead poisoning, I do have the ammunition to give lead poisoning. Got some in a pistol in my pocket as I write this.

TMT Tactical likes this.