Repelling Rabid Animals

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Pragmatist, Jan 7, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/Fox-Attacks-Maine-Man-by-Biting-Him-on-Face-566776801.html

Good afternoon all,

Per ...

Walking outside, less the obvious places, really does require a sturdy pole of some sort.

Article tells of 88 yo failing to repel a fox that tested positive for rabies and bit the man. In practical terms, a senior citizen of 88 infected with the rabies virus ...... It's a sad ending.

It's already been mentioned by a couple of us to consider some sturdy pole as a matter of preparedness.

Avoid the metals - lightning storms do occur and make metal a hazard - and research what's best for your personal situations. Do you need something that floats ? Do you need something that's flexible ?

Prepping = thinking.

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bang, problem solved.

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This was in the fifties or sixties sometime (?), rabid wolf, Iran, small community, wolf went right down a street filled with people (a shopping bazaar? I d'know.) and bit over twenty people. Half died. What is interesting is that you'd think that they all would die -- especially if they didn't get their rabies shots in time.

I heard this story from Iranians, but you know what, I just went online and found videos of this! Holy crap, this really was horrible beyond all imagining. Don't watch these videos unless you are used to medical hell situations. I'm serious, these vid.s are not to be watched by just anyone. Spare yourself, these images/vid.s are nasty, hard on the mind.

You were warned:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...points-out-wounds-on-victims_Iranian-clothing

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/3adbus/disturbing_video_of_rabies_in_humans_iran/

https://www.researchgate.net/public...tment_in_Human_Pasteur_institute_of_Iran_1954

I just cannot find a number on how many people died. Did find that 29 were attacked. Again, I was told that half died. If anyone knows about this or finds some numbers on the web, please share. I'm now super curious.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Over 30 years ago, wife calls me at work, sez that there's a dog running in circles in our driveway. She'd got the car down our gravel driveway onto carport below, then took the kids up the steps (outside, we didn't have indoor stairs to basement). I go home. No, dog about. Get in the house and tell wife, "DON'T YOU EVER LEAVE THE CAR -- ESPECIALLY WITH THE KIDS -- WHEN THERE'S A RABID DOG IN THE SAME ####ING COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She asks, "Do you think that dog was rabid?"

"YESSS, THE ##MNED THING SURE AS H#LL WAS RABID!!!!!"

=======================================

Fast forward 2+ decades, our dogs killed a bat in our back yard. No, I've never owned any, not one, flying dog. Bat was on ground when dogs got hold of it. I picked it up with a long grasping tool & put in a box. Poured alcohol on grasper. Called state lab. Bat tested positive -- as a matter of fact the they said the thing was HOT with infection (when in microbiology, we toured the lab and observed brain tissue infected with rabies, antibodies are stained with ultraviolet-reflective dye). We got the dogs booster vaccine and chained them as quarantine for like a month or more. Dogs never got sick.

=========================================

If it looks rabid, kill it with a gun! When my wife and I would go out for walks, I'd take a handgun. No, not for mean people, but for mean dogs. We also used to get a bear lumbering into our neighborhood -- it liked a neighbor's apple trees. I wasn't worried so much about the bear. Mean dogs? Yes.

Steve-0 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry a stock cane when I walk. It is shaped like a regular crook neck cane but is a little longer and heavier. You use it when handling hogs so it is good for dogs or other critters too. I live in a quarantined county. That means that no animal is allowed to be transported out of the county without a current rabies vaccination. Our biggest problem is rabid skunks. Most people here are pretty good about keeping their dogs current and in the country, stray dogs don't last long. They get in the trash and chase livestock and get shot.

I often carry a handgun but if a rabid dog charges me I want something that will keep it off me. When they are crazy it takes a headshot to stop them dead. I walk with my cane in my hand. I would hate to have to draw and hit a charging dog that I didn't see coming. I won't miss with my stick and will golf it into the ditch. THEN I will draw and finish it. I just turned and RAN from the skunk! I didn't want it close enough to hit with a stick. I killed it with a rifle later that day though. It chased my neighbor right through his screen door. He didn't have time to open it and gut went through it and slammed the inside door in its face. He was lucky that the door was open!

On a side note. Possums very seldom get rabies. they are marsupials and have a lower body temperature and that makes it hard for the rabies virus to survive in them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Skunks are nocturnal. If you see one wandering around during the day -- especially if it is unsteady in its gait -- then that's not good. Could be rabid.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Then there is the "nice" version of rabies. Locally, years back, fox comes up to kids at a school bus stop and lets all the kids pet it. Bus stops, kids get on bus, and so does the fox. Nice fox. Rabid fox. All the kids that touched the fox had to get rabies inoculation shots.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a 410 snake charmer that I carry a lot of times when I'm walking in the woods. You are right in that it is a great stopper for small critters. Honestly, my snake charmer is lighter to carry than those Judges though. I sew a button on the shoulder of my coat and the sling rides my shoulder without slipping off. the judges extended frame and 3" long cylinder makes it as heavy as a full size 44 mag hunting pistol with a long barrel. That said, you are right in that it is probably the best handgun out there for shooting something that is a got to hit and stop it or ELSE target. Most animals will run when you shoot at them whether you hit them or not but a rabid animal has no fear, only pain, and fury.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

If not in a long haul evac mode and will remain in BOP/shelter in place status, there's a reason to bury or burn the dead creature.

The scientists can explain how the dead creature is a magnet for flies and mosquitoes and the onward story.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    some bats carry it, diseased animal would have to come in from France where they do have rabies.
    there have been 8 cases of Rabies in England since 1946 and each time it was contracted whilst some one was abroad.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some critters like raccoons live quite a while after being infected. I think skunks d0 also, like bats.

TMT Tactical likes this.