Rescue Drone

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I still doesn't see the viability of doing it from stand-off distance using any current technology. So far the best use of aerial drone is to guide the ground team in and let them sort things out. A legged drone (preferably 6 legged) on the other hand can do a lot more to complement the ground team for checking under the rubble.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

I see 2 separate matters going on.

1. The research engineers are experimenting with drone use of some sort of grappling device(s) to retrieve the victim.

2. There are funds to do this experiment. In the US national budget (the "Federal" budget) a project cannot be funded (many exceptions based on political realities) unless something else currently in the budget is cancelled so as to free up these funds. Matters within the disaster arena do not have this "set-aside" obligation (exceptions exist).

The viability of the experiment depends on what the project managers believe is viable for the next step.

Now, of course, I understand and agree with you that "boots on the ground" ... preferably a medical doctor with substantial emergency medical experience and team ... is better than a grappling device (I'm thinking of the type used to lift around cut trees that 's attached to a large tractor) on a drone. Still, the experiments and modifications to plans are needed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Sound like a waste of tax payer money to me. The funding best spend in having more medical team on standby, and beside an AI controlled grappling hook + human with broken bones isn't exactly good combination.

Around here we typically use this drone for SAR among other types of drones, it very good in mountainous terrain

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

In the US, the taxpayer has little to no involvement in tax allocations.

We do not currently have additional needed teams - nor specially-skilled emergency medical teams for field operations. The entire medical labor pool is currently undergoing change.

A patient with broken bones is better than a corpse with broken bones. Do remember the drone is involved in an experiment; it's not finalized.

Here, too, drones are used for SAR and just about all other reasons they can have an application. Much is still not ready. A body of regulations on operating drones is not finalized.