Rescued Mountaineer Explains Ordeal

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jun 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    LastOutlaw and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll likely deeply regret posting this..........but the most interesting thing about that is that it was even news worthy. To me it shows how strongly the masses of humanity are attached to avoiding risk. Guess I have had the great good fortune to have known people who would experience that, and never mention it, as it was just not a significant event.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting perspective, IBME.

I understand your view.

When I read the article I was thinking of the cost of the Army helo and risk to crew in 40+ gale winds......being directly related to a few amateurs' entertainment/pleasures of a hiking trip on Rainier.

If only those hikers didn't put their important gear in packs they weren't always wearing..........

4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    As I read it, they were completely unprepared to face any adversity. Why didn't they build some sort of shelter? It is the PNW, there are lots of trees. Even just a shovel to make a wind break sounds like it would have been a big help.

5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Men I know would call that a mild inconvenience and not worthy of the "Ordeal" classification.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    SIASD, not an ordeal, if they had even an ounce of sense.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  7. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    These storms in the PNW can move in quickly and be devastating. I remember this particular incident when I lived up there that stunned everyone. Mt Hood is usually a simple climb for most low experienced climbers and even regular hikers, however this church group found out the hard way to not underestimate the weather changes. This is remembered as one of the worst disasters in the PNW.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2357451/mount-hood-disaster-1986

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.