Resealing A Used #10 Tin Can With A New Tin Lid.

Discussion in 'First Time Preppers and Survivalists' started by Dan Purinton, Mar 11, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dan Purinton

Dan Purinton New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello,
    Has anyone heard of or successfully accomplished resealing a used ( a can that has been opened) with a new lid? I know the “new” cans have a flanged portion on the open end. I was researching an aircraft bead rolling hand tool and was thinking I could try to remake the flange portion on the open end of the used can and use a new lid to seal it. Seems quite wasteful to discard an otherwise perfect can.
    Thanks

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've heard of it but this is generally considered to be too much effort. To do what you want to do you need to cut the lid off from the side, this is the easy part. Then you need to form a lip. Now you have to come up with new lids, good luck with that. The people with lids for sale want to sell you the can as well. I have repurposed tin cans but I have plastic snap on lids for them. I have canned and have a can sealing machine. I do all my canning in jars these days.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Active Member
      45/58

Blog Posts:
    I use coffee cans to sort out my brass for reloading.

TMT Tactical likes this.