Restocking Supplies...

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by watcherchris, Jan 3, 2024.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Stopped by the grocery store today for my lady friend to get her items..and whiile there....

I purchased three bottles of Lemonade...I don't care much for carbonated drinks....on occasion a Dr Pepper but other than that...I prefer non carbonated for some reason.

Also six cans of bacon Spam....and two cans of fried apples and put them away....as prep supplies.

Until someone told me I had no idea there were ...today....so many different types of Spam.
    My lady friend likes the hot and spicey variety and I will get it for her and also fry it up.

I will often fry up spam and put it on a paper towel and in a Tupperware type container and slowly go through it. Often for sandwiches for work...or with eggs and toast for breakfast...but the best thing about Spam is that until you open it...it will shelf life a long time without refrigeration. Buy canned chicken for the same reason. I am not big on canned tuna as are so many ...and do not buy it.

I've never had it ...but people tell me fresh tuna is a world of difference from canned tuna.

Oh...I like me a simple piece of fish...but never was big on tuna..

Also like fried apples....and at times get them in the glass jars at Cracker Barrel.

Like fried apples....any time....very tasty....not fancy but very tasty. Love me an apple pie too....the Force becomes weak around an apple pie.

Yes.......As I go into my autumn years...a fine simple meal and my lazy boy recliner...it a wonderful thing..oh..and don't forget the remote as well.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Will be going through my grocery list ....this weekend and making up my list with a view to prepping supplies.

I am also thinking about changing out my hot water heater to one of those newer devices that makes water as you use it....no limit due to a tank.

I am thinking that over the long run...it will pay for itself..

That seems like a good way to go over the long run.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wife likes Spam, I prefer corned beef.

4. Blitz

Blitz Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you lonewolf. Not a fan of Spam. Absolutely LOVE corned beef. (Never had tinned corned beef though). In fact, I was trying to buy some beef to make corned beef today but couldn't get any.

As far as canned food goes, I love those English pies. God, I can't remember what they are called. My husband used to eat them all the time. You take the top off and put them in the oven and the pastry rises and flakes. The tin is mostly blue, a sort of Royal blue, from memory. It's to die for. Our local supermarket stopped stocking them unfortunately.

Mushy pies. Yum. Nothing like mushy pies, baked potatoes and a really good meat pie.

Fish. Sardines. I love sardines. Sardines with capers. Yum. Also love tuna and salmon. Lots of lemon, fresh parsley and black pepper.

Cherries. Black cherries. In fact, any canned fruit. Pineapple. Peaches. Pears. Plums. Divine.

I've never eaten tinned chicken. Never even seen it, to be honest. As I said, not a fan of Spam and can't think of any other tinned meat I've eaten.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not a big corned beef fan.....but found that I like corned beef hash even for breakfast with eggs and toast...very different from bacon or spam...and just as good to me.

I can eat breakfast three times a day.......fried apples and even apple sauce with it.

I reckon I never outgrew applesauce...it's the kid in me.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  6. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never had fried apples. How do you prepare them? I'd love to try them. I also love apple sauce. A good roast pork with crackling and apple sauce. Divine!

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Blitz....I must confess...I've never made fried apples...

I have always been blessed to know women who can do more than microwave......and I don't mind a good woman spoiling me....in the kitchen....

Oh...and my girth shows thus..as well....and happily so!!!!!

Amen!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I like Spam. My blood lipid levels reflect my yen for lard. Born and raised in the South. Southern diet = rigid coronary arteries and strokes.

Corned beef, yummy yummy.

I love fried apples. I love fried green tomatoes. Within the Southern diet, all manner of edible carbon compounds find themselves in a frying pan. Squirrels are taken by shotguns and end up in the frying pans of Southern grandmothers. Squirrel gravy is divine. Poor squirrels -- there's also the matter of bobcats.

Fried apples recipes:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=fried...9AF04EC9A0232B8DBA0504CA&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=

YouTube is besotted with recipes/instructions for preparing fried apples"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fried+apples

--------------------

Spare not the butter nor the brown sugar, but go easy on the cinnamon. A little bit of cinnamon goes a long way. Speaking of which, people also often go too heavy on the cinnamon when baking pumpkin pies. In prepping your pumpkin pie mix, if you think you've gone too heavy on the eggs, then you probably have gotten it exactly right.

TMT Tactical, Blitz and watcherchris like this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL.....Amen Olde Geezer....Amen...Amen....Amen!!!!!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite..

1. Old Geezer
      Dang fatty foods killed my dad's mom at age 94. My mom's mom made it to age 100 ... well hmmmm ... she fried everything also, oh well, dang. OK OK, here's a better example: My mom's dad ate greasy food, abused tobacco, and on occasion found himself in the bottom of a jar of moonshine. He only lived to be 90, poor soul. There! you see in his life-example ginyuwine proof that you should avoid the sins of fat and liquor!

Old Geezer, Apr 27, 2024
  10. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Need to get off here and get started acquiring those truck and car parts.....now that I have updated my wardrobe...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hahahahaha!

I'll have to trust old Google then.

I haven't used a microwave for well over 30 years. Couldn't take to them. Now, just about everything requires a microwave. I talk to people ... "oh just pop it in the microwave for x minutes". I've given up telling them I don't have one. They seem to think I have two or more heads. I can't be bothered explaining myself any more. I just nod and smile politely.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Old man. Saves me looking.

I make a kill for cinnamon cake. It's my son's favourite. You've spurred me on to make one before his return. And of course, I'll have a crack at the fried applies. But ... what do you eat them with?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will tell you Blitz....that often when I take my woman to dinner in a restaurant .if they have them...I often get fried apples or apple sauce with my hamburger steak and gravy ...fried potatoes or what we yanks call French Fries with gravy on the fries... and some kind of lima beans .....or green beans.....and a salad on the side..

But most places have apple sauce...and I reckon I never out grew it from the days of my youth....though I also like fried apples when they have them.

Even if I get seafood..I like a salad and with the main meal...a side of apple sauce...it is my way.

Oh....and come to find out ....you can now get cinnamon apple sauce in the stores....but like Olde Geezer....light on the cinnamon please. I reckon I need to get out more!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Fray Bentos pies I think you mean, unfortunately the modern ones seem to be all crust and reduced filling.

15. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    YES!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to make some shortly. After I make the bed. I'll let you know what I think!

You need to get out more? I think we all need to get out more! Hahahahaha!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have already been out for our walk this morning, will be going outside in a while to check on my veg plants, Broad Beans are doing well as are the 3 lots of Potatoes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought "screw the bed. I can put on the clean sheets later. I'm going to make me some of them fried apples". OMG! I'm hooked! I found a recipe from that link from Old Geezer and made "Southern Fried Apples".

I am in actual heaven right now. I accidentally put in too much cinnamon and only used one apple (regretfully now) in case they were rubbish, so I had to improvise. So I added ginger to counter the cinnamon and made a divine sticky, whatever you call it, with the butter and sugar, you know, sort of caramelised toffee. It is so good! I'm trying to lick the bowl. I'm going to make some more tomorrow night and have it with custard. Absolutely delicious. Now I understand what you're all going on about. Thank you for introducing me to such a culinary delight!

19. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I love broad beans. Do you know, I had never eaten them until I moved to the UK? They weren't a thing here. They are more popular now but back in the day, no. I've been growing them the last few years. They don't flourish in QLD as well as they did in NSW. (Why doesn't that surprise me?). They are very tall, robust plants with high yields. Delicious!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Broad Beans are fairly easy to grow, the trouble here is they have a short season so this year I have sown a second lot one month after the first.

21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Earliest childhood memories -- stringing and cracking beans on the front porch of my paternal grandmother's front porch.

upload_2024-4-28_6-16-12.png

TMT Tactical, Blitz and watcherchris like this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one of my childhood memories was having a tent on the lawn and sitting in front of it shelling peas.

23. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yum. I love fresh beans. I love picking them and snapping them in half before scoffing them. Delicious!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely! Well, not the tent on the lawn but shelling peas. Fresh peas are to die for. We used to eat so many of the peas whilst shelling. I love peas.

Nowadays it's rare to find fresh peas in a supermarket (around here, at any rate). Everyone opts for frozen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Birds Eye peas mostly.
    thats why I'm having a go at growing peas this year, amongst other things.

26. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Only the very really rich can afford to stock the amount of long term shelf life food that it will take to last their and their children and grandchildren's expected life expectancy . Perhaps considering today's society perhaps they don't even care about the survival of their children and only go by the " hoorah for me " and to hell with everyone else attitude . Apparently some do as they keep a bug out bag packed and ready with the plan to abandon their family and go running out the door at the first sign of a Nuclear bomb drop on their countries soil . Now before someone gets their drawers all bunched up in a wad , will say that running out the door and abandoning their family comment is not directed toward anyone . It is though an actual observation on my part by some that try to wrap the prepper moniker around themselves. --- Now that I have pis-ed a few people off will say that is why I preach having a self sufficient never ending perpetual food producing homestead . Not likely will someone break into your stash just to steal seeds , but they would be more likely to do so if they know you are guarding years and years of long shelf life food . --- I have concluded the food supply issue is why some try to wish away anything so bad as society will be gone for many decades as they simply know they have " failed" to prepare for something of such magnitude . All I will say " not many will survive " if S.h.T.F. is as bad as I am expecting . Yep I will have to shoot the starving unprepared or just let my dog rip them apart .

27. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post. I totally agree. I'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible (and practical, given limited resources). Unless you've been stashing shelf life food for the past 30 or 40 years, a stash sure as hell won't last long. As you say, people will be less likely to pinch seeds, as opposed to stashed food.

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a life time supply of stashed food just isnt possible in an English house, modern houses are just too small, most dont even have a larder, ours didnt I had to make one .
    the best we can hope for is to have enough stored food to last post SHTF until we can get our first harvest in, probably 1 years supply at most, the real survival trick is not to rely on stored food but to be self sufficient in as short a time as possible.

29. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, lonewolf!

"... the real survival trick is not to rely on stored food but to be self sufficient in as short a time as possible."

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There's a bunch of fire prevention, fire-fighting, and fire escape for which I must better prepare.

Since the U.S. dollar still holds value, I must attend to such matters. Done some -- more to do. We live somewhat away (not far, however) from National and State-owned parks and forests -- still ... I can walk to these forests and a river.

This week, I again bought survival tins. Got me a bunch of tuna and other canned fish (salty to the max)! Man'oh'man, do I ever LOVE seafood!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    It is the wee hours of the morning here in Tidewater Virginia...and I am up after getting an early sleep. Filled up the gas tank on my car.....just now... though it was not half full. Decided to do this before Friday arrived and the summer good weather crowds ran amok.

Now I remember why I so appreciated the back shifts particularly the grave yard shift....I would often be able to do things while others were at work...and for the most part..did not have to run with the crowds....the herd so to speak.

Seems like more and more of the "Herd" is become more and more unruly and even uncivilized as the years have gone by.

Any of the members here noticed this???

Speaking of Unruly and uncivilized...I have stopped by the Post Office to drop letters/correspondence in the outside mail box on the way to work in the morning and someone ..two days in a row...has stuffed heavy items in the box and blocking up the chute....so that no one else can deposit letters/correspondence.

I wound up dropping these letters/correspondence in the box on the way home.

The Post Office has doubled the size of the box.....I hope it is not all mail filling up the box....but I think it is someone stuffing heavy items in it thus blocking the entry chute.
    Aggravating......uncivilized...to me.

Went by the grocery store this evening and stocked up on some canned goods....Particularly corned beef hash...
    I like it for breakfast with eggs and toast.

Also bought four Snickers Candy bars...the large double ones....and also four Lindt....dark chocolate Intense Orange and also Caramel....bars to go in my locker at work.

Six cans of Spam were among the items restocked...two of them Hot and Spicy .....for my lady friend...and four bacon Spam for me.
    I try to keep this stocked..and canned chicken as well... since it does not need refrigerating until opened.

Also, I have certain food preps at work if need be....and a pan and Sterno stove as well. Plastic eating utensils as well as metal ones in my daily GHB.

Took my three cold bottles of water out of the fridge at work and dumped the water and refilled with fresh. This is pre positioned Water....in case events happen rapidly in a SHTF scenario....while I am at work.

I normally carry three empty and flushed Gatorade bottles in my daily to and fro bag....basically a GHB. Gatorade bottles are very heavily built. I do not even like Gatorade..but appreciate the heavy duty bottles.

These three in my bag...I fill and drink out of daily...from the water cooler.

I am not big on sodas or what some call carbonated drinks. Prefer water....Iced Tea or Lemonade...it is my way.

Over the years I have weaned myself off carbonated drinks....I do not think the carbonation is good for us in the long run. But that is just me....you members decide for yourselves.

But I do love a good cup of coffee in the morning or in the winter...taking the edge off the cold..Hot Chocolate too.

Need to get off my Donkey..get to the gun club and sight in my Ruger Precision Rifle..in .308 Winchester. I've had it for a couple of years now and never shot it.

Definitely need to get this done...I'm thinking time may be coming short to get this done.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...one more thing I found of interest...recently. When stopping at the local coin store to buy some silver....I noted that they had in the case something called a "Hobo Nickle."

Now until then I'd never heard of such an thing and I bought one ofthem. They were expensive at some 20 dollars each but I gave it to my lady friend.....for her collection.

here.

Hobo nickel - Wikipedia

Now it is me who knows the rest of the story...

Watcherchris.
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well I thought it had to be said.
    some British people think a stash of stored food is "job done" sit back and wait for it to get back to normal, but what if normal never comes??

Blitz, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  34. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lost my 0-1 inch outside micrometer some time back and have no clue what happened to it..

Thus I ordered and received a new one which I will check against my other tools and I have a one inch standard should I need to adjust this micrometer and also check it against feeler gauges.

I use this micrometer extensively in reloading along with my 6 inch dial calipers....

Also I received a set of die stamps.....of the alphabet letters....and also numbers 0 to 9....for stamping even metals.

Been wanting to stamp identifiers into my scooters in certain places....or failing that ...vibro etch the same.

These tools will be stored in a special cabinet out in my garage wherein I keep other precision tools.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My pap bought a ring off a prisoner working a chain gang and gave it to my dad when he was young.

The prisoner made it out of nickel he made via melting currency nickles. The ring has three insets of mother of pearl. Great looking ring. Prisoners make their own hooch (wine), make shivs (knives), and make their own guns. Dedicated humans are capable of profoundly unbelievable tasks.

========================

I find it amazing how migrants travel hundreds, even thousands of miles on foot. Migrants from South and Central America march hundreds and hundreds of miles. Sometimes migrants get rides on buses IF they can reach Mexico. Mexican drug cartels provide buses for a fee.

Where there's a will there's a way. Many migrants already live in a post-SHTF world -- they have no transportation, their villages had no electricity, they've had to struggle to put food on the table, they've lived in war zones, many have had to fight and steal to feed their families, ... ..

=========================

re: Restocking

I bought-up tins of tuna, sardines, beans, "beans and weenies", ..., bunch of stuff this week to resupply.

Our washing machine broke so we manually washed clothing until parts arrive for our washer. We have tubs to use for this purpose. This is good practice for post-SHTF. One of the survival preps to make is buying-up detergents and soaps. Dishwater soap can be used for many purposes. We buy-up bleach and vinegar.

Bought some #6 birdshot boxes past week. Post-SHTF, feed birds spoiled food / tree seeds / whatever. When a flock comes in, fire into them with small birdshot 7 1/2 and #8 shot. Number 6 shot can be used on squirrels and rabbits ... though I prefer #4 and #5. Pap liked to use larger shot like the #4. Really nails squirrels -- I sure know that to be true.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the illegal migrants who come over the channel in small boats to the UK are NOT refugees they are economic migrants looking for a better life, thats why 99% of them are fit young men under 30.
    I handwashed all my laundry even bed sheets when I lived alone, I wasnt going to spend a fortune on a new washing machine for the small amount of washing I had, post SHTF there wont be any electricity so everyone needs to learn this skill.

Blitz, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  37. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I reckon if people can't wash their own clothes, they are definitely doomed! That's got to be the easiest "skill" ever.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    cant wash clothes is an easy way to compromise their hygiene and get a disease.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Migrants in Europe and America see Western citizens as weak pushovers. They are correct. Most folk in developed nations have become VERY soft and don't know how to defend themselves effectively -- even if they are armed. Urbanites and most suburbanites only possess handguns, plus they do not have a sufficient ammunition supply (often they have less than 500 rounds). Urbanites and suburbanites often don't go out to the range and practice, practice, practice = victims in waiting.

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the number of guns in Britain is around 570, 000 most of those are of the sport and clay shooting variety, this is a small number when the population is nearly 70 Million.
    there are 100,000 guns in Devon and Cornwall of which 68,000 are Shotguns.

1. Old Geezer
      "there are 100,000 guns in Devon and Cornwall of which 68,000 are Shotguns."

This is positive. Very positive, in my mind! At close range, birdshot is effective as a defense load. Not the best, buy hey, I'd not want to get hit with it! Emergency room physicians (I've worked with a dozen or more) refer to the unique injury made by shotgun birdshot as "rat-hole" wounds -- looks like where rats have been chewing into the body.

Buy-up birdshot and clay pigeons so that you can say that you've been skeet shooting and trap shooting (fun sport that!). Here's but one range/club in Devon:

https://www.exeterclayshooting.co.uk/

Old Geezer, May 4, 2024
  41. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Shotguns are a very versatile firearm, with the proper loads. But like any and every firearm, they have heir limitations. Max range being one issue and magazine capacity is another. Very few shotgun user will know how or be able to do speed reloads. Even fewer shotgun owners will have a shotgun with a detachable magazine. That equals slow reloading. That brings us back to the range / distance issue. Even with slugs, shotguns will not be much use, past 150 yards, if that far. Preppers need the right tool to do the right job. One size does not fit all.

Blitz and Old Geezer like this.
  42. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    True for us in the U.S.

In England and in Europe, a shotgun may be all that a person has, or is allowed to own. Handguns are forbidden by Big Brother over there. Large-game rifles face their own set of restrictions.

Buying buckshot may be unavailable (?). Thus, they may be forced to get by with birdshot.

To make a slug shell out of a birdshot shell one can use the cut-shell technique -- the "poor man's slug". Cutting a shell has to be done precisely and is downright dangerous. I've never done it, but know that some folk do this. You don't cut the shell through. You do a spiral cut that doesn't line-up with the beginning cut-point. You must cut at the wad level, NOT the powder level for obvious reasons.

==========================

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6brN08M8c6g

================================

Blitz likes this.
  43. Blitz

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Great advice TMT

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Quick/rapid Reloading is indeed an issue with shotguns....

However...close up..It is difficult to beat a shotgun for pure and raw power.

This has been amply demonstrated with trained shotgun personal in Iraq and Afghanistan...in house to house...even against the vaunted AK 47.

But remember these trained personal are not carrying civilian loads..but nonetheless....up close it is hard to beat a shotgun in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

What shotguns are not....is easily concealable.

One of these days I am going to have to learn to reload shotgun shells.

It cannot be more difficult than brass cased ammo.....different methods but it can be learned.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    In my arsenal in Vietnam , as I was the guy in charge of all the weapons , regardless as to whether they were in the field on patrol are the assigned personnel was lounging for a few days on the fire base , were about 6 Ithaca 12 gauge shotguns . Sometime a shotgun is the best choice .

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  46. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    As for as restocking , the time is creeping closer " about 6 weeks " until I will crank up a vehicle and drive about one hundred miles " one way " to pick up some specialty baby chicks . I am on a waiting list about 5 months long to get these particular chicks . Already we are producing way more eggs than the clan can use in todays financial depression but expect it to get " much worse " for the future of the World . Thus I plan to triple my egg production for what is expected to unfold . Chickens is something that I can sustain by feeding them weeds and other naturally available food , but until things further collapse however , will take the easy way and simply buy most of the feed for the chickens . -- This may literally be counting my chickens before they hatch as it is very iffy , if as to whether things will be apoplectic from World War Three consequences within the next 6 weeks .

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Eggs are very nutritious and a great source of survival food. Used-to, many physicians who were obsessed with fatty foods and their relationship to cardiac issues restricted their patients to a set number of eggs per week. Me, my advice is far more lax, because eggs are super nutritious. Without fat in the diet, the body has difficulty in absorbing vitamins E, D, and A. For SHTF, why worry about heart issues when we're talking about living through the next few months?!!!!! AND, eggs are great food for children. Without fats, there's no brain growth. Cholesterol is a primary component of ALL cell walls in the body; thus, growing children need to have fats in their diets. This is why poverty is linked with poor brain development. An all-starch (low protein; egg whites have lots of protein) diet results in kwashiorkor.
      [​IMG]

Old Geezer, May 5, 2024
  47. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    About this Poltiregist.......,

When I started in this yard....many many year ago.....I ran into a fellow..Army who was on one of those Army riverboats. He told me that he did not like the M16 for that kind of duty. What he preferred along the riverbanks...and the tall grasses growing along side...was a 12 gauge Remington model 870. He told me that the 12 gauge pump was hard to beat close up.....

I never forgot that.

I have an olde Ithica Model 37....in 12 gauge and it will handle almost anything in 2 and 3/4....it is a police special...but it is unusual.....in that it will slam fire. Just hold the trigger down and keep pumping. I do not recommend this ..as it tends to jump out of my hand where I am holding the pump slide. Full choke down at the end of the barrel....just at the very end...
    This shotgun can be very hard ...on both ends..with that hard buttstock.

But it is a very functional shotgun....very practical....strictly business...no flash or bling....

I do not have much use for a bling or flash gun....,I prefer utility and function.

Oh....and the other feature...my ...years ago...left handed room mate liked...it loads and ejects both from the bottom. No side ejecting gate on it.

The only flash/bling gun I own is a Thompson Contender with the mountain lion on the side....very pretty ..but also a very functional piece...and you make your shots count with a single shot.

I have this in 14 inch barrels...5 of them.....

.22 lr

.35 Remington

7mm TCU

.41 Magnum.

But this tool is also simple and practical.......you learn to make your shots count...as you only have one.....before reloading.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  48. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now as I understand it....the Model 37 Ithica is being reproduced today..Sans....without ....the slam fire ability.

Apparently this is not desired today .....for the public to have this feature....

I have no plans to buy a modern reproduced Ithica Model 37....no thanks.

I prefer Pumps to autos in a shotgun...as auto shotguns can be finicky about the power of the loads you put in it in order to work the action. On a pump .....you yourself control the action no matter what the power in the shell.

It is my way. I reckon it is the Olde School in me.

I still like a manual transmission as well. Come to find out ...that many people today do not know how to work a manual transmission ..it is totally foreign to them... Good Grief!!!!! How did we ever survive without an auto transmission????

Don't get me wrong here....many of todays auto transmissions are better than in years past....but I like manual control...or manual override if you prefer..

I reckon it is the Olde School in me.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  49. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="watcherchris, post: 106115,

I prefer Pumps to autos in a shotgun...as auto shotguns can be finicky about the power of the loads you put in it in order to work the action. On a pump .....you yourself control the action no matter what the power in the shell.

-- Agree on the choice of a pump shotgun . I didn't mention on one of my above posts , but the military also agrees as the Ithica shotguns , in my Vietnam war arsenal " were pumps " . I refrain from talking on this forum about weaponry as putting such things on a forum is akin to filling out a form and submitting it to the F.B.I. .

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  50. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My shotgun is an auto. Due to the possibility of short stroking a pump shotgun, I prefer the auto. Also the auto cycles faster. Mine has a detachable mag which also facilitates faster reloads. To each their own when choosing a shotgun. Both choices have their pro's and con's.

watcherchris and poltiregist like this.