Risky Land-use Choices

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Aug 15, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Walter Cronkite was the last journalist I had any respect for whatsoever. Your link says "page not found"

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ditto on the above...

WAIT, How old are you and where do you live??? Cronkite sounds familiar???

That just makes me feel old as dirt.

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I love this quote by Mr. Kronkite:

Objective journalism and an opinion column are about as similar as the Bible and Playboy magazine.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You could bet that if Walter said it, it was TRUE!! Whether he approved or not of something never entered into his reporting. I doubt that he could get a job anywhere with that attitude today...

6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    They got a written plan, so all is well. We trust our government ---- NOT.

Sonofliberty likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Walter Cronkite was considered " the most trusted man in America" when he anchored the CBS Evening News. From God's lips to his ears. If Walter Cronkite said it, it was gospel.

Is it just me or are these people going on a Fool's Errand building houses in areas they know are going to flood? This is not an "if". This is a "when". Building retention ponds and bringing in fill dirt is like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic. You think that is going to stop anything?

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Morgan,

The fools are gambling that the public sector will fill the void with rescue boats, medical support and generous FEMA grants so they can live in dangerous areas.

The developers are on luxury vacations.

The public sector officials issuing the building and occupancy permits are also on those luxury vacations.

The public pays for those rescue boats, the medical support and the comfort items.

FEMA grants are harvested on tree groves for free - until the bill becomes due.

The party's over.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So True!! As much as I hate government intervention there should be some regulation on how property is developed. If you are in a high risk area then you are on your own. You can live there, but we don't have to rescue you because you knew full well what you were getting into. The rest of the county shouldn't have to pay, so you can have a nice ocean view. I don't have a good answer; quadruple the price of insurance? additional taxes for high risk areas? There should be some way so that Everyday Joe doesn't have to foot the bill. Oh Yeah! What other services are being shorted or neglected because the county has to spend an inordinate amount of its budget on rescue services?

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

You clearly summarized the issues.

Actually, "real" insurance has it's own equilibrium. The insurance company assesses the risk and situation (eg someone elderly, living alone, needing frequent medical care), sets a rate and you've got to pay this rate to get the insurance. There are other insurance companies competing for the business but the principle they use is the same. IF the insurance company won't sell the insurance, it clearly means the situation is too dangerous.

A MAJOR problem is that many current governments eg California, with their residential earthquake insurance (Please don't laugh) and Texas with their Coastal Wind Insurance (Please don't laugh) help the insurance companies and the developers with the racket.

A certain POTUS is slowing forcing changes to all this and he is hated.

An indirect footnote: A favorite bumper sticker of mine:

"Let Them Freeze In The Dark"

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  12. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Have you guys noticed nice houses being built on scenic river front property right below a major dam ? If that dam gave way they are gone . A dam collapse for any reason "the water doesn't care " , and a huge wall of water is upon them .A dam is also a military target , especially if it is hydro powering electrical generators . An aggressor would not need a nuke , just a strong bomb . Many countries including Russia and China probably would not play nice and try to spare civilians . We saw Russia attack civilians in Syria . A big hydro dam would be a prime target .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Poltiregist,

Haven't personally seen examples but know about this from the reports showing up in the national preparedness pubs.

It's the same issue as the other problems with wrongful land use.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.