Rod Or Pull Through

Discussion in 'Gun building, Maintenance, and Care.' started by randyt, Sep 8, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've always used a cleaning rod to clean my firearms, breech end if possible.

The other day I picked up some gun parts and the fell threw in a box of gun misc. With in there is a cleaning kit and instead of a rod it has a chain of sorts for pulling through. This seems handy in a traveling situation.

any fans of these pull through cleaning systems?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hoping to read some replies myself. I have only used rods.

randyt likes this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a hopes bore snake for my 41 swiss, .429 bore. I got it to polish the bore by using turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover. The old 41 swiss has seen better days but a little polish job didn't seem to hurt matters much.

These bore snakes seem pretty darn handy for wiping out a bore, especially while out in the field. I think I'm going to like it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been using snakes for maybe 10 years now and really like them. I Like that in something like a lever action it's easy to drop the weight down the barrel from the breech end and pull out any loose junk thru the muzzle and not pull it all into the action.

Otis makes some great flexible kits that have various attachments so if you want to pull a brush or follow it with their patches which have an awesome design feature with some little holes that help the patch to pucker up that really seems to help. I tend to use this more during my full tear down cleaning. I also have one of their smaller round kits, which is about as big around as a 1l water bottle and maybe 4" tall, that I keep in my BOB as part of my weapons maintenance kit.

On my bore snakes I give a little spray of Ballistol and run it thru 4-6 times after the range and it does a great job getting most of the crud. If you've not looked at them up close the get slightly larger in diameter to give a good fit and along the length there are brass bristles and whiskers that stick out to really help scour.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a Otis tactical kit with a pull through cable and I love it. I also have several bore snakes that I really like.

Dale

Caribou, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Bore snakes are handy for light cleaning and oiling.
    They can't take the place of a good rod for heavy cleaning or removing stuck cases or bore obstructions.

Caribou and randyt like this.
  7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    They all work and work well. It is best to clean from the breach so either the bore snake or the Otis cable makes that easier on many guns. If using a rod a single piece rod is best.

TMT Tactical, randyt and Dalewick like this.