"Rotating" through Food Supply

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by RichE8475, Jul 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    What are your opinions about "Rotating" through your food supply? Are there any opinions on this concept?

I was reading through some articles the other day, and they were making some valid points. I think that if you cycle through your rations of food you are less likely to end up with a bunch of expired items. I feel that by following this idea, not only are you saving money, but nothing will be going to waste because of expiration. I know that some canned foods are suppose to be good as long as they are sealed. However, I think it has to go bad at some point, what do you guys think?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would have thought that's what most people would do anyway, and I know it's certainly something that we do. even when buying items from a store I also tend to look at the expiry dates on items and that even includes tinned goods. While they do have a long expiry date on them anyway, I still look for the ones with the longest even if I know for a fact the item will be used well before that date anyway.

I guess it's just another way of being prepared for whatever happens in the future, and for a lot of people it's just become a way of life now. We're living in ever increasingly uncertain times, and being prepared is something that even if we aren't used to doing up to now, it's an habit that most of us should start to get into, and by looking at the expiry date on foods is a good place to start.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 guiding principles when it comes to food stores: "Rotate,rotate, rotate" and " Eat what your store, Store what you eat", keep to those 2 and you cant go far wrong.

RichE8475 and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You NEED to rotate your food supplies, not just because some have a used by date, but because dried foods often lose their taste if kept for too long. This does not matter in regards to them still being of use, but why not rotate anyway & ensure everything stays reasonably fresh.
    Keith.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have a food cabinet that is replete with our regular supply of canned goods and other preserved items like milk and juice in cartons and dried rice for porridge. Our system is FIFO - that's first in, first out. So when we arrive with new groceries, they will be placed in the innermost of the cabinet so the older ones will be in the front. We have developed that system that we taught to our housemaids so we will not be left with expired goods. Even the cooking oil and vinegar bottles are included in that FIFO, any food items actually.

Our food cabinet consists of 4 drawer-like partition with the contents that could last us for weeks.

ally79 and RichE8475 like this.
  6. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely going to remember your system, First in First Out. We actually do the same, but I have never utilized that acronym. My family buys in bulk, and we also make sure that the new items are placed behind the old items. I have not even thought about making sure the oil and vinegar gets switched out. Thank you for your post about this. I will be making sure that we are including all items to the "FIFO" list.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Orthodox mormons have been doing this for decades. They try to keep several months of food on hand. The canned goods are rotated and eaten with fresh canned goods placed in the back of the cupboatd.

8. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We are also first in first outers, and store what you eat and eat what you store people. There are actually some really nice cabinet/drawer systems to help you keep up with the first in first out concept.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you watch the shelf stackers in your local supermarket this is the same system they use.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    While I'm sure that there are some units designed to help people to rotate their foods's is that really needed? Surely most people are clever enough to be able to make sure that the newest products go at the back and the oldest at the front? It's a pretty simple concept to grasp and I wouldn't have thought we needed a special drawer or cupboard to be able to get the hang of it, and all I see that as is companies trying to cash in on something.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are some units on the market and I have seen plans for make your own, where the cans roll to the front and then you fill from the back, but its not really that necessary, as long as you put the new ones to the back and bring the older ones forward and use them first, after doing it for awhile you will find it comes naturally without thinking.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I do eat from my rations regularly. It not only avoids waste but has helped me learn how to best prepare what I store. I have saved a ton of money by learning how to actually prepare my stash of rice, dry beans, oats and the like. It took some practice to learn which spices make particularly bland dry beans taste good, how to make home-made tortillas out of flour and water, and things like that.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, cycling through your food supply is definitely a good way to go if you don't want to end up with expired items but that should mean a good and organized supply as well. Before you go grocery shopping make a least and plan your meals for the rest of the weeek, buy in bulk and only as much as you need and you'll get through just fine without any food going to waste. That's how I do it and I rarely throw out food now.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you only buy as much as you need you wont have any stores for emergencies.

15. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah this has been talked about a couple of times in this forum. I believe I heard them say FIFO or first in - first out when it comes to storing food.