Rubbing Alcohol And Why You Should Always Use It

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Rubbing alcohol provides a fast and effective method of disinfection, which is especially useful on preventive mode. No gloves but need to treat a wound? Alcohol before and after to avoid infection for both the carer and receiver. Touched questionable surfaces that may have bacteria? Alcohol after touching. Need to sterilize a wound before stitching it up? Alcohol. I think it's a necessity when planning any emergency kit, and you should also have it in the house at all times.

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Or to tan animal hides

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    That is something that I always have around the house. It can really bring some quick relief when you have been stung by an insect. i also use it when I have a little difficulty starting a fire. I always have a small bottle in my first aid kit.

4. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    You have a point there. But one should always be careful when using alcohol specially in the household if you have kids. Never put it in a place where it can be reached by children who might mistaken it for something, yummy. :D

5. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I already used alcohol to treat a wound when a friend of mine cut her hand with a knife while we camped and cooked. So yes I agree, it's really useful.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is has healing properties. It not works as disinfectant but also as antiseptic. If you have cuts and wounds, you can use alcohol in your cuts and wounds. If you want to sanitize your hands, you can rub alcohol on your palm.

7. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    In a adventure in the woods, i believe that the Alcohol from a drink should also make the trick of sanitizing. Of course, drinks with high concentration of alcohol are better.

8. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is also very effective to relieve an itching insect bite. A must for when you go camping for more than one reason.

1. OursIsTheFury
      I think that was the only form of relief I had against insect bites when I was in the boonies. I was a magnet for those things and not even chemical repellents helped out. Alcohol dries and cools the skin so the irritation and inflammation stopped for a bit. But I swear those things were out to get me. Like I was public enemy number one or something. The rest of the group had minimal bites while I had bites all over.

OursIsTheFury, Jul 16, 2017
      Morgan101 likes this.
  9. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah man, i can definitely relate to you there. About a month ago I was out in the field with my girlfriend and my brother in law. The boys started to horseplay a bit and we ended up moving our fight to the ground. After we finished I noticed some awkward itching and took my shoes off to check it out. I was bitten all over by a species of flea. I spent two weeks scratching my foot and leg like there was no tomorrow. Only alcohol provided me with some sort of relief.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I think just as long as it's in the medicine cabinet they shouldn't get to it. I'm sure there are things there that could be a whole lot worse for them if they got in . There are certain pills that look just like M&M's, why on earth they do that I don't know but I'm sure those would be the first pick.

11. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    True that. The cabinet should also be high enough that when a kid tries to stand on top of a chair, he still won't be able to open it. Yeah. It's like they knew it already but they had to do as marketing strategy.

12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

I am right with you there. I am like a bug light. Insects won't touch anybody else, but they will be all over me. I keep alcohol in my IFAK. I may start keeping a bottle in the car and see if it works as a repellent.

TMT Tactical likes this.