Ruger Precision Rifle ....

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Jul 20, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 Winchester. ...with a 20 inch barrel.

Have not shot it as of yet...but looking for glass to mount on it.

Good glass is expensive.

I have, however, mounted a bipod onto it.

Will take my time researching optics for it.

Will be looking for 168 grain boat tailed Sierra bullets for it as well as 190 grain boat tailed Sierras.

Bought three bags of new .308 brass 50 count each and will be getting more.

Also two boxes 100 count .308 Hornady A Max bullets at 168 grain.

Saw no gunpowder at Bass Pro the other day when I picked up these items and hence did not bother looking for primers.

I verily like a good accurate bolt action rifle.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    bump thread...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish there was more military surplus ammo around these days. Used to could buy cases.

For range-blasting I like to burn surplus. Gotten it from Greece, India, Indonesia, Germany, ...

You'll sacrifice very little velocity having a 20" barrel. Loss of barrel length on a 6.5 Creedmore would have lost you some needed velocity -- not the case with the .308. And short barrels can be every bit as accurate as longer barrels. Indeed, shorter barrels can be stiffer/thicker and not add much weight at all. Great rifle you've purchased! I love short rifles in .308. Wish I'd kept a carbine instead of trading it. Could kick my own butt.

Get groups cold-barrel vs. hot-barrel, so that you'll better know your weapon. You probably know all about this thing already. Sometimes I'll use military ammo just to get the barrel hot. For target-shooting, I let the barrel cool. Many others and I prefer shooting a dirty barrel, 'cause in the real world, it sure as sh## ain't gonna be clean.

To any new riflemen and women out there, a cold non-dirty barrel will shoot one group. That same barrel shooting exactly the same ammunition when hot and dirty will shoot another pattern. Those two patterns/groups could look as though they were shot with two separate rifles. A stiff/thick barrel will help ameliorate this phenomenon. A skinny barrel will get so hot that you can see the heat waves rising off of it as if it were a stove. I've had this phenom distort my sight-picture when using open sights.

The M60 used to come with a spare barrel and asbestos glove to allow one to hold the hell-hot barrel to swap it, lest the barrel begin to distort so much it was useless or permanently damaged. The British Vickers had a water jacket to keep the barrel from being destroyed by heat.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My choices for glass (optic) Is the Vortex Diamondback Tactical. 6 x 24 x 50 First Focal Plane scope --- $400, OR the SWFA 20 x 42 fixed power scope --- $300. I own both and am very satisfied with them. I am also cheap and don't like to spend more than is needed. The Vortex scope is probably a better choice if you intend to use the RPR for hunting, along with range shooting. For just bench rest or stationary type shooting, the SWFA will work just fine. JM2C

watcherchris likes this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    For optics I prefer Vortex these days, though on the new AR-10 build, I put a new Bushnell AR scope for 308 Win. On it and Bushnell doesn't even have a owner's manual for it. They won't return my emails either. Have it to the range soon and see if the wind hold reticle actually works.

That will teach me to save a buck.

For 308 precision work, I prefer LR118 loads in 175gr BTHP. For hunting I like the 175gr. ELD rounds.

Dale

6. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Please let us know how the Ruger shoots.

Dale

7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Between other tasks on which I was working..I installed the Vortex Diamondback scope on my new Ruger Precision rifle...using two bubble levels..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G8MF1L3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bubble leveled the rifle by putting one level across the picatinny rail....and leveled the rifle via the bipod...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVY5KX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once leveled..I reversed the bubble level to check in both directions the accuracy of the bubble..

Then I installed the mounts and scope...putting only one screw on each side of the mount....total two screws..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTY3X0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bubble level was then placed on top of the turret on the scope...and scope rotated until it was level with the bubble on the picatinny rail. Bubble level then reversed to check in the reverse direction.

Screws then slowly and incrementally tightened down slightly while keeping an eye on the bubble levels..

Checked both bubble levels...foreward and reverse to keep them close...and then installed the rest of the screws while watching the bubbles. Tightened them down slowly....in increments ...all screws together..

Could not find my inch pound torque wrench..and will be repeating this process again once I find it or obtain another...

Also will be putting non hardening lock tite on the fasteners...

To be continued...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Short barrels have a higher frequency vibration and if all else is the same it should be more accurate. the idea that longer barrels create better accuracy goes back to iron sights where the longer the distance between the post and the rear sight the greater the precision. All that went out the window with the introduction of modern scopes. I used to make money demonstrating that in the right hands a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel would shoot better groups than many could shoot with a rifle at 100 yards. You are going to just love that gun. It is one of my top wish I had guns. The 308 has the energy to spare and nothing that you might hunt with it will ever notice the difference in the slight lowering of velocity and energy.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.