Rugged Mtn Survival

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by elkhound, Feb 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
  2. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    lots to see in video about remote rugged mtn survival...a mtn homestead if you will....but anyway look at the homemade items from various waste items like bucket from either an oil can or cooking oil can. lots of wooden items as well. sheep and a few cattle and chickens and large Anatolian guard dogs,notice the spike collars to protect dogs from predators.this is long term survival in action.many cant,couldnt live like is my 2 cents. lots of folks around the globe live a very different life from westerners.lots to see hope yall enjoy.

p.s. i hope they do a follow up video in summer of gardens and harvesting hay and other crops.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    That was fun.......thanks. I am surprised that don't dehorn the cattle.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    many live a shtf type life as its so remote compared to west and all the infrastructure in place.whats your job...to get enough daily to live. more rugged mtn survival...lots to see and ponder.those boys put up some pretty high quality lose hay.looks better than some i fed out using equipment....but i butted heads on forage cutting and storage with family in past...lol

also note their fuel source with limited firewood available.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    heres another real good one...note towards middle they make grass rope to used as a type of baling twine. its real interesting as they are using a handtool looks like the tool you use to tie rebar with. also note once its made they bring it out and twist it together making it double ply...and each person...3 of them..are using this tool.its about at 12 minute mark.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Why would they dehorn the cattle? I was raised with cattle and never dehorned a single one. I lived for 13 years basically on a cattle ranch. My daughter was raised up with longhorns and we never had a single problem out of them except when they would get too friendly and push her around playing with her. Horns are what makes cattle safe from any except the biggest and craziest preditors. Even the wolves only take small calves.

This is what a normal set of horns on a longhorn look like. These are far from the biggest that I've seen...

4f4153191906f299632e7407e2d1724c.jpeg

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Siggghhh! I would never make it in the mountains. I was raised in the swamps and hights are my biggest weakness. That doesn't mean that I won't work in high places but I would never choose to live there.

8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You don't dehorn for human safety/security, it is so they don't wound each other when they are gathered in confined space. And I was raised on a dairy farm in the 40's and 5o's.

9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Deleted......double post.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can see that. I have only been around beef cattle in pastures. Even when we load them up in trailers to go to auction they go with horns though. I don't know for a fact but I suspect that dairy cows are meaner than pasture cattle. I hear people talk about being chased by bulls but I have never known it to happen on any of the ranches I've dealt with. I've heard that Jersey bulls are mean. We mostly have Longhorns, Brahmer, Black Angus, Hereford and Simmental cattle around here. I have dealt with a couple of Holstein milk cows but they were sweet.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I saw this today and thought I would share it. It isn't on topic but cowabunga those are big horns!!!
    46cbdcf24358f22b0f4898670d88f04c.jpeg

12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    looking forward to watching when I get more data. We had sheep when I was young

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
  14. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    notes of interest..cutting tree fodder for critters and the set up used to churn butter.