Rural Community And Disaster Preparedness

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Pragmatist, Dec 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.grit.com/community/community-and-disaster-preparedness-2-zb0z1912

Good morning all,

Per ...

A "cooperative" is well worth researching. I was in one and saved a fortune combined with learning much from other members.

Note the list's rule 1 - "Don't keep separate 'survival rations'". I'd modify this for a portion to be "evacuation ready" just in case you've got to GOOD.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the link dosent say much more than the basics which we all know if we are a prepper.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Lone Wolf,

How many preppers experience financial strains when getting equipment and supplies like foods - and not familiar with the benefits of a cooperative ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Historically-speaking, rural communities have always stayed in disaster preparedness mode. Lord, lord, my family sure did. My dear sainted paternal grandmother acted as if an apocalyptic depression or whatever was just on the horizon! Poverty will do this to you. I never saw the shelves empty in the cellar (dirt floor). There was always a grocery down the basement steps.

Think barn raisings -- a family's barn burns down, the whole community shows up. Men get killed in the mines, all the church people show up with MASSIVE amounts of food. I remember well. My parents and their parents went through the Great Depression and it simply didn't mean jack sh## to them as far as hunger and having clothes on their backs was concerned.

As to this era in this day and age, I do think rural areas have lost a bit of their game; however, rural areas will still get by during the hardest of economic-collapse times. People will not be as nice, still they will remain civilized -- something one sure cannot say about urban areas. Things go sideways, we're headed back further South -- back to the "sticks".

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about anyone else but we don't have cooperatives where I live and we just stick to "store what you eat, eat what you store", our budget isn't strained because we don't buy the crap that sheeple do.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

We had (inactive now) a cooperative whereas we purchased foods and related field kitchen stuff at discount costs.

Also, we purchased construction stuff eg salt-treated wood, at discount costs given only to construction-industry contractors. One coop member was in this business.

I guess it's someone's art is someone else's junk. Here we purchased fire extinguishers in bulk quantity and saved a small fortune. They're definitely not crap.

Now being in a rural county between 2 of the nation's largest metro centers - Hampton Roads and Washington, D.C., shepple also are among the long-time rural people here and conversely some of those in the most urban D.C. areas are attuned to preparedness and have lives adjusted accordingly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have in the past bought food at a cash and carry, previous in-laws were in shipping and had an account. I am now too far out from any city to make the journey financially viable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    We're actually discussing the same aspect for procuring supplies. The only difference is the circumstances.

Our objective must be for newbies arriving at MSF.COm to understand various programs that will be beneficial to them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    such programmes have to be available to them, i'm just saying the journey would not make financial sense in my circumstances, any saving would be taken up in travel costs.
    most people here just buy a few extra each time they go to the supermarket or the diy store, I use the farm supply store for non food items.

TMT Tactical likes this.