Salt To Preserve Meat

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Corzhens, Jun 3, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When you are in a hunting trip in a tropical country, the salt is very important. It is mainly used for preserving the meat or fish that you catch. Let’s say you catch a wild boar and you have ½ left to bring home. It will rot within 24 hours. Sprinkling it with salt all over will prevent the rotting and the meat is somehow preserve that can last for a weeki. With fish, the same thing applies although you have to wrap it in leaves, the best is banana leaves. That lesson I learned from my father-in-law who was a veteran hunter in the olden days.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep a big bag of salt at home for this reason, but if you are bugging out, the weight of salt is too much to carry with you. Also in the wilderness, unless you can find a salt spring, salt is not available unless you are by the sea.
    Keith.

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Salt also attracts moisture, so that is not quite the whole story.
    Keith.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16943065
    https://www.thoughtco.com/why-does-salt-work-as-preservative-607428

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Making pemmican

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      East European method of keeping meat without refrigeration. Uses jars, boiling, salt pepper many spices, and hard fat. Watching this lady prep this meat, I got very hungry. I like spicy food. This reminds of my mountain kin who smoked hams that had been rolled and packed in salt & black pepper. In my mind's eye, I'm looking from the porch of my great grandmother's cabin. I'm looking at the smokehouse. I can hear the mountain creek rushing down the holler across the dirt road. She was born in the latter 1870s. Talked to many other elders of her generation. Many kin lived past 90 -- her daughter my maternal grandmother lived to be 100. Salt pork won't kill you if you work and eat fresh vegetables with your meals. Seems poverty + hard work = long life.

Old Geezer, Aug 7, 2023
      Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the above post, I forgot one super-important element.

Pure water is unimaginably important.

The cabins of my mountain kin were ALL located at points where mountain water (filtering through mountain granite rock from above 5,000 ft) shot out the side of rock-faces. This is where one put their water cistern. Cabins were built around these cisterns. A cabin was built around the clean water. A cabin started with a kitchen wood stove just off the cistern. The rest of the cabin was built around the kitchen or off the kitchen. The central living area had the fireplace or stove. Cold = death.

This is how things were.

My ancestors learned from their ancestors in Northern Ireland / Scotland and from the Cherokee, within whom they intermarried. These people, Scots and 5-Nation Aboriginals were wise beyond measure. Be wise or be dead. You don't reproduce if you are stupid in a hellish world. Charles Darwin was both a genius AND a man of infinite common sense. God's blessings be upon Darwin's wisdom, his soul, and all that he imparted to us!

On top of the Wisdom, our ancestors respected, in an infinite way The Creator of Universes, the Infinitely Wise, the Ultimate Engineer, the Source of Love, Mercy, and Justice.

Today, Wisdom is lost. Wisdom falls away. Thus, the Reckoning.

Prepare, or be washed away.

Noah was but a good servant. Know the Heart of Noah, or be washed away.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wisdom i.e. common sense just isnt common anymore= people are stupid, they have to be told what to do, they can only do what is on the "chit"( written instructions) and ONLY that, you are not allowed to have any intuition any more.

1. Old Geezer
      Y'know, the better part of them can't even follow written instructions. That's how it's turning-out here in the States. At stores, the young require their cash register software to determine the change needing to be returned to the customer. AND, those are the semi-responsible young. In urban areas, the others have already been absorbed into the criminal element. I'm tellin'ya, things are going straight into the sewer over here! It's really bad. This is totally non-sustainable if civilization is to be perpetuated. A giant negative (read SHTF on steroids) RESET needs to happen. And that reset is not the one the woke idiots imagine. The woke will perish during that which is coming -- literally ... die. They are professional victims.

Old Geezer, Aug 9, 2023
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree, it almost seems that any sign of common sense is suppressed. It seems to start in schools these days and is a part of the worrying trend of "not questioning the narrative". It does not bode well for the future.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think common sense is suppressed, I think its absent in modern humans, its been bred out.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    The more we 'protect' people with new laws, new policies the less people feel they need to rely/develop common sense, after all, what can go wrong in their lives with all the rules and regulations in place protecting them ;)

Research in the USA, UK, France and Finland has shown a drop in I.Q. levels in the 18-22 year old range since 2008 with the USA in first place.

I've noticed the last few years that we are getting 'newbies' on the rigs and some just don't see the absolute need to fit into the team, a rig is a tight knit tight run beast, we work hard, get well paid and well fed and we don't have time for moaning clock watchers...they don't last and I've no doubt blame everyone else for their failure.

Blitz, TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Rare time that I agree with M.Rigger.

Protecting people actively dumbs them down.

Think about raising your own kids. The more you do for them, the less self-sufficient they are. Some parenting comes across as cruel, but then life is no playground. Example, having to build something: First the kid watches you, then you instruct while kid is watching, then kid helps, kid given more responsibility. After it all, next project comes up, you tell the kid, "That's your job, I'll watch."

Kid sez, "I can't do it! I'll make mistakes. I might get hurt."

You say, "I figure you WILL make mistakes. Gosh, I hope you don't get hurt. Be careful. Pay attention and you'll not get hurt. Don't worry. Just dive into it. I was once where you are. One day you'll be the parent. You start tomorrow morning."

As far as work team go, no unity of purpose, no coordination of duties = total failure. Individuals may not get along together, tough sh##. It's NOT a social gathering. It is a project.

Genius individualists who are unable to work along with the other team members are about as useful as fresh green cow manure splattered on the office floor.

Prima donnas are as useful as anthrax.

Add to this that a non-cooperative person can cause physical injuries in dangerous environments/tasks.

One software / electronics development center I worked had a "genius" (PhD, Harvard, no less; "piled high and dry" to me) on one of the project teams (not my lot, we were Q.C.). This fellow had his computer and prototypes in his office. Often his office door was shut. He interacted with his fellows ... when he had to. There was more than a little grumbling among the other members of his team.

Here's an example of a near violent interaction. The above center was only 5,000 sq. ft; tiny. This nest company/setting is in an international electronics factory / engineering facility in the South. The people working here were from all over the United States and many out of Europe (primarily Germany) and England. The engineering building had over 150 engineers and technical staff. Software boy just out of M.I.T. is was developer among I think an 11 person team (me, I was part of Q.C. not Development). Friend of mine, office diagonal from mine (cube farm; like in a Dilbert cartoon except this place was enormous; no high-walls in this area, 4' not 8') did the S/W builds for Beta releases. S/W builds were then tested (Q.C., find the bugs; test s/w when operating on given electronic platform; me, electronics + s/w test = why my office & lab was diagonal to my friend who did the builds. My friend was raised in a Southern small town not 30 miles away. This friend of mine was way smart and a SUPER nice guy; physically, he was a 6 ft tall, athletically built / knew farming hard work, and was totally wired as Southern Culture 101. One day, an M.I.T. grad. boy comes down the isle-way, turns and yells at my friend, "Build that godda##ed software right the hell now!" Silence.

I look across at another friend (office straight across the isle; he was also Q.C. and a real worker, tough guy, football) and he looks at me. We think our mutual friend might just lose his job now because we figure that he's going to render Mr. M.I.T. boy unconscious. Me, I'd rather walk out in front of a car. Our friend stood up, got right in the boy's face and told him that he would never ever speak to him again in that voice or with foul language. Our friend's face was red and his eyes bespoke hell and damnation. M.I.T. boy instantly recognized that he had made a profoundly serious error in judgement. We didn't say ANYTHING to our friend for like 30 minutes, probably more like an hour. Me, I could almost feel the spiritual radiation of his rage -- he was a hair's breadth away from exploding into violence.

Had the above interaction occurred out on some Southern city sidewalk away from any work properties, M.I.T. boy would have had to have been transported to the nearest hospital's Emergency Ward. He would have gotten stomped and nobody would have come to his aid. Some witness would have likely stopped the fight before M.I.T. boy got killed. It sure isn't just the American South where very strict cultural rules apply, oh no!

Textbooks on business management overtly say to never hire prima donnas.

Speaking of different cultures being similar to that of the Southern U.S., in small-town / tiny-town communites, folk have to pull their own weight, plus help-out during emergencies -- example: in tiny-towns, most all fire departments are volunteer, there's no money; vol. fire department have BBQs bake sales, and other fund raisers to support the firehouse & engines/trucks. Having lived in small communities, those who don't help-out are shunned. Often, they are considered to be arrogant, even if they aren't. When they get into trouble, nobody's gonna help them, because they had in the past acted selfish, lazy, or mentally the hell mis-wired between the ears. In many cultures around the world, societal rules and customs are strict. Why? Because of poverty and adversities. You get together or you get dead.

As M.Rigger stated above, younger workers, i.e. those conditioned within our current culturally-ill Western world, haven't the mental tools, the work ethic to fit-in and become a part of a functioning team. This is beyond tragic, it's dangerous. Think about how this plays-out in a survival situation or a battle situation. What if people are forced to perform a rebuilding project due to damages done during some SHTF cluster-f### tragedy. Things will need to be completed and right now! These worthless pukes won't be of any use. They will either be shunned, told to leave the community (quickly so), or just get shot dead. I'm not exaggerating. Useless people are only in the way, which will be one profoundly unhealthy position to find oneself during wars and other hell-times.

11. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if it is possible that the drop in IQ may also be linked to the rise in electronic game stations and mobile phones? Theoretically with access to the internet we can easily and quickly research almost anything and therefore should be able to form opinions with ease and yet, it seems, that young people are simply a herd that follows whichever "influencer" is the flavour of the day'

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    While the world's knowledge are at our finger tips, too many do not take the time to actually evaluate what they are reading. They can reguratate info but do not know how to actually evaluate what they have read. They do notknow how to think for themselves.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    aint that the truth.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they just follow the latest trend like the herd animals they are.
    I never was a "team" player.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    common sense is not common any more, I thought everyone knew that.

16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    OH, I think so!

Having addictions is not exactly conducive to learning.

I have bunches of stories concerning "smart phone" addiction.

Teaching physician asks students a core question (which med) concerning a common but severe/deadly condition of patient in Cardiac ICU (CCU) = students in seeming unison go for their smart phones. Instructor shuts them down immediately, "You must instantly know this. This must be burned into your brain. You have no time, the patient has no time, for you to be looking-up critical information!"

College campuses are the WORST. Not just the kids, but the employees are transfixed on their idiot phones. Are they learning something needed. Maybe 10% - 20%, tops. The rest are text-jabbering, shopping, or playing video games -- i.e. brain rot central.

When driving through a college campus area, drive very slowly and be hyper-alert, these brainless little chickens with eyes glued to their "smart" phones will wander right out in front of you. "Pedestrians have the right of way." My retort: The laws of physics trump traffic statues. A one ton car vs. human on electric scooter, who wins?

upload_2023-8-11_16-51-42.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    You have something there I think. Teaching is almost a 'bookless' experience these days, whether in school, college or university you don't need books, its all fast snippets from online searching. When you read a book to find the stuff your looking for you absorb data/info you don't need but that in itself means you learn more than you need to which in fact is a bonus plus it a brain workout; students these days are mentally lazy and tend to do the minimum they need to do to get a pass and ask them to put in more effort and you get cancelled and or fired.

I came to Spain book free but am buying books again, two large used bookstores not that far from me, both have an English section which caters to the Brit migrant population. On top of that I download electronic books, whole bibliographies and all sorts of topics, I am not exaggerating when I tell you I have thousands of ebooks which I'll never need unless it hits the fan and then I have knowledge to hand. I'm doing the same with tv shows/films-movies and music.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I prefer physical books, they dont need electricity or a battery post SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I like paper books too but I'm off grid, have multiple devices I can store and read ebooks on so I'm good to go for many years.

If you want any ebooks to store on your phone and laptop then pm me and I'll sort out what you need

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    negative.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Your loss of knowledge, not mine, the offers open to all other members.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wife has a nephew , the family techno geek, but come WTSHTF he'll be as dead as the rest because thats all he knows, no survival knowledge, does not prepare, never grown a plant in his life, no farm shops in his area only 4 supermarkets one in each direction, typical urban lifestyle and he and his family live too far away for any help from us when the balloon goes up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most preppers do not thing about thought. Humans are a profoundly different species in certain aspects. For this human species, attitude & humility can often spell the difference between survival and annihilation. "I can accomplish the following ... . I am not able to accomplish the following."

The evaluation determines outcome.

If the individual finds his/her skill-set inadequate and then seeks instruction and practices with the new knowledge, then that person's likelihood of survival increases multi-fold. If they procrastinate, then they put themselves at risk of being eliminated from the gene pool.

"Gosh, that's not fair!" Retort: Life isn't fair. Mother Nature is as cruel as cruel gets.

Youth today seem to be unable to perceive the reality of Seriousness. It's as if everything is somehow a joke or that all matters will be taken care-of by others or "the government" -- not realizing just how incompetent are those in government. Bean-counters, "intellectuals", and functionaries are utterly useless.

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is, in actuality, a superior guide to actual human nature/failure. Douglas Adams came to understand his own species. His was an incredibly rare achievement. Another too wise individual was George Orwell.

Deep cynicism = Wisdom

What a shame. Seems humans are destined to fail, to suffer, and to oh-so-rarely overcome.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not just Youth think others will take care of problems, many adults think like that too.
    independent thought is mostly a thing of the past unless you are of an older generation.

25. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    It certainly is a modern culture to expect others to fix the problem.

26. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Your posts are always entertaining. And full of wisdom, to boot!

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  27. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    So very, very true.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Most people also fall into one of two categories - leaders or followers. In this modern culture, I think leadership skills are sadly missing.

As there are so many followers, they prefer to sit back and let someone else solve problems.

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    or as we call them.... Sheeple.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Baaaaaaa ... baaaaaa ...

:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    actually thats an affront to sheep who arent that stupid but people are.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  32. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Very true. We had a pet merino. Used to take her for walks round the neighbourhood with the pet goats. I can vouch for how intelligent they actually are. And very emotional and sensitive. Similar to a dog.

Apparently, sheep can remember faces very well. There was some scientific study done on it years ago. They can recognise something like 40 faces out of a crowd. Amazing stuff for supposedly stupid animals.

TMT Tactical likes this.