saving old medicine?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Am I the only one who keeps my old medicines? There have been many times my family was too poor to take us to the doctor. My mom always kept extra antibiotics and cold medicine. She even kept old blood pressure medicine. It was always kept out of reach by the way. I've always though at least if anything went wrong I have enough medicine to last me awhile..

2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This is a good and prudent thing to do. There are times when one is humstrung for cash and then a serious disease comes knocking. In my opinion, the best medicine to keep are the expensive ones and those which do not have concerns with regard to the expiry date. For my case, I am afflicted with dental pain periodically and it would be wise to stock up on pain killers. On the whole, herbal medicines have good keeping quality and some improve with time.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends on the age, but medicines don't just stop working, as they get older they don't work quite as well but they still work a bit, so better than nothing but maybe only just!

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I would be careful with antibiotics, the improper use of them is the reason that we now have antibiotic resistant bacteria. If you don't use them properly and complete the correct course you are allowing the bacteria to become resistant to treatment.

5. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't keep old medicines because they do expire. The best way to protect yourself is to figure out how to find these medicines in the wild. Antibiotics can be useful if they are no expired. Learn how to make probiotics with yogurts and how to make your own at home. That will increase the good bacteria in your body. Also find antibiotic treatments in tea tree oil or antifungals like garlic. These will help you out in any situation long after the prescriptions expire.

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I always save my old medicine. If I have any sort of left over medicine from when I was sick, I will store it in the medicine cabinet. You never know if you're going to develop the same illness in the future. I had saved a bottle of medicine for my ear infection. I'm happy I did because I developed a terrible ear infection months later. The medicine helped me within a day. Even when medicine expires, it could still be of some use. It doesn't hurt to try and bring old medicine to life.

I wouldn't suggest trying to find replacements for high quality medicine in the wild. As much as I hate to say it, there is a reason why medication you get through a pharmacy works. Saving old medicine isn't going to hurt anything. It's better to be safe and give it a go than risk something not working at all.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Medicine has an expiration date, and would lose their advertised efficacy when it reaches that date. So yes, it is great that you stockpile on medicine supplies, however they have a date to be used, and afterwards, it would just be a waste of space, and they would be more of a burden rather than a cure if you take them after their expiration date. Good luck, hopefully you check those medication often in terms of their expiration dates, so you will both have a stock and supplies that actually work.

8. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    The expiration date on the pharmaceuticals is only a recommendation of "consume best before". With most of them, if you follow the rules of safekeeping meds (dry, cool space, in it's original bubble card), it should be good to consume for another 3-5 years. Or 2 years at the very least. But keeping them around for longer increases the chances that they're somehow exposed to conditions that would make them go ineffective.
    All in all, it's a neat way of saving up some money, especially if it's some really expensive medication, but there are many issues in stockpiling these things in longterm.

9. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Does "old" means expired medicines? I am a little bit paranoid when it comes to medicine and when the expiration date has lapsed then I throw it away. I never knew that medicines are still okay if the safekeeping instructions are followed. I am still not sure how effective the medicine is after the expiration date though.

10. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Having medicines with you is a very smart thing to do because you never know when you will need one (once I got a serious allergy reaction for something I ate and if I hadn't had a pill for that, the situation would have become much worse before I came to the hospital). In my experience expired medicines aren't really that dangerous and as @Correy said, as with many consumable things that date is only a recommendation. Once I took a pill for headache and found a few hours later that it had expired 3 years ago and nothing bad happened to me. But still, I would not recommend taking very old medicines for some more serious diseases because they might have some unstable chemical ingredients.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    saving medicines is exactly the same as storing food, "rotate, rotate, rotate" in the good times when its still available so that when SHTF you start off with an up to date fresh supply.

12. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I always try to keep my old medications around for good measure. Often, I'm in the same situation where I cannot afford to go to the doctor for prescription, so I plan ahead of time. As of now, I have a 3-weeks supply of amoxicillin from when my wife and I both had to have a root canal. Not sure why they gave us so many pills because we both had so many left over from taking the required amount but we kept them. It's good to keep meds around. You just never know when you'll need it.

13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I also have new and old paracentamol (German king of Tylenol) around. I normally take the new ones but since I often have toothaches and I have to take 4 or 6 of them at once, I rather have more around. Of course, I am worried if the date has expired especially when it concerns fluid medicine but with pills I think you should be okay.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if it would be safe to continue taking medication that has been expired because it is a pill as opposed to liquid. I don't believe the pill would be any safer be safer than the liquid. I must recommend that you should be extra careful in this situation because it's something that you would be ingesting which could rapidly cause an internal problem if it's defective.

15. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Always storing your aged medicine out of your child’s reach is the best idea. reach and out of sight of children. How well taken care of the medicine is also an important factor. Make sure that the conditions that it is stored in are in correlation with the storage instructions on the packaging. If there is an expiration date then you should be concerned with the side effects that will arise upon ingestion of whatever medical substance you are storing.

16. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Keeping medicine in your car’s glove compartment can be risky as well and not just because of temperatures. I have friends that have gotten charged with intent to sell after being stopped and searched. All that the police who searched the car found was an old bottle of his brother's prescription drugs. With that being said, there are too many precautionary dangers to consider. Do you really think that keeping old medicine is worth it?

17. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Having a storage box that you can place on a shelf or in a in closet is probably the safest way to go. Most people would keep them in bathroom cabinets. There are Clear storage baskets that you can buy for under $5. This is not a bad idea if you would like to keep your medicine a lot more on the sanitary side.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    thePENofGODx0x0xz7 likes this.
  18. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Always do your best to store the contents of a medicine bottle into its original container. Mixing your pills can cause accidents that can be nearly fatal depending on the types of side effects certain prescription medicine can cause. Do well to label these bottles since the labeling tends to become difficult to read as time corrodes the outside of the bottle.

19. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is detrimental for everyone to take into consideration. Bathrooms may seem like a popular choice for medicine but the fluctuation of the temperature is in fact harmful to your medicine. Heat and moisture that from your shower , and sink can harm your medicine. The amount of dampness and heat is the opposite of what you need. Continue to Keep your medicine in a Cool and Dry area.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep my medicines in the bedroom, which is never heated, and is a fairly cool and dry place .

21. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'll throw a bit more info about the whole expiration date.
    So there is an expiration date in the package. This is the date until which the manufacturer of the medication guarantees 100% efficiency (means it will work exactly as intended, not that it will immediately cure you :p) under normal storage conditions. At some point after this date, the medication will start to lose it's efficiency. Now there are a couple of exceptions but in 99% of the cases the medication will not become harmful even if consumed years after expiration. It will simply be less effective.

Same things apply for storing pretty much anything. Cool, dry, away from sunlight. Most medications nowadays come in a package that won't allow humidity in.. these are the ones where each pill has it's own containment and you just pop them out one by one when required. If you have those bigger containers that have tens or hundreds of pills inside them, you might want to put a piece of cotton in there if you think you'll be storing them for a while. (it helps with the moisture)

22. Finman0507

Finman0507 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I always make sure that the expiration date is not overdue on the medicines I keep, but i don't think it's a bad thing keeping medicine in your home for emergencies. Just be careful to keep it out of reach of children and people that should not get hold of it.

23. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The only problem with doing this is they have a expiration date. If the medicine is expired it might not be safe to use, this could be dangerous. I can understand not wanting to run out of medicine, but you don't want to put yourself at risk either. I think saving old medicine is a bad idea.

24. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    medicines like everything else have a finite date, once the collapse happens and the supply chain shuts down no more will be made, what you have is all you have and at some point it will all be used up/consumed.

26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One can refrigerate meds. I'm using some meds I put back a couple of years ago.

Sans electricity, meds can be stored in running water due to the temp being around 55 F, or lower. One son has a mountain creek running behind his house. When the lights go out, one puts cooled goods in a sealed ice chest and sets it in the creek. You stake a dog out there. If the dog alerts, you come out with the firepower.

Another place that is cool is the root cellar. Again, the magic number is 55 deg F.

One physician I had years ago was a Mormon / Latter-Day Saints. That church requires its members to store enough food to last a year (if the family can afford to do so). He and I had multiple discussions concerning the storage of medicines. I learned a bunch.

In the USA, pharmaceutical companies are in grand competition. This means that any given med that has become generic is made in multiple locations. This increases the likelihood that at least one location is left standing after some attack, natural or man-made.

One factory I worked had a backup generator that was designed as a freight train engine. Our site had a huge oil tank to supply that generator. This isn't rare for industries who cannot afford to have down-time due to power cuts. During national emergencies these generators will be redirected to provide electricity to core needs such as hospitals and Command & Control facilities.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    OTC medicines arent much of a problem, one can store as much as we like.
    however prescription medicines in Britain are something else, most health centres put a date on prescriptions when you need/can order more, by ordering a week early every month it is possible to get a small stock, about 2 months worth maybe 3 if you'r lucky, anti biotics are only prescribed as needed and you are supposed to take the entire dose with none left over, I know its possible to get fish antibiotics but I'm not sure that is suitable or even what the dose for a human would be, I expect TPTB will clamp down on that if they havent already done so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lately, I've been using-up prescribed meds I acquired in 2019 -- i.e. massively out of date... yet they work fine. Had they not, I'd be in trouble. Still taking them.

Today I sent an email to my physician asking for Rx updates. I deeply respect her judgements. Hard to find REAL physicians. I've worked with dozens during my career, yet I've only found a handful who were the "real deal". Me, I know the difference. My physiology and patho-physiology professors back over 40 years ago were old school; i.e. FAR beyond strict, absolutists, you made the grade or they failed you, 40-page exams, if you couldn't make the grade, then, "Good-bye." In this day and age, things have changed for the worse. I've seen too many get their white coats when they were inferior to the task.

This my current physician I've been Blessed to find, believes in having extra med.s on hand -- same as a physician I had 30 years ago. In finding personal physicians and in interacting with "real deal" physicians during my career, I have been blessed! God's Mercy and Wisdom abide with them. Have I seen quacks? Oh yes. I've seen and worked with the pits. Beyond sad, that.

Reality: Many, not all, prescription med.s last longer than advertised ... IF refrigerated or kept cool and out of the light spectrum, infrared and ultraviolet. As said before, I'm currently dosing myself with med.s 4 years out of date. Are the men in my family risk-takers?! You don't even know!!!!!!!!! Driving at 110+ miles per hour (175 kph) = fun to me. My uncle got the Bronze Star -- should have gotten the Silver Star -- during WWII by being FARRRRRR beyond crazy brave, most men would have sh## themselves. My lot just "do things". Best work mate of mine wouldn't get in a car with me driving. On business trips, work mates have taken the keys to rental cars from me -- I scared the sh## out of them. No fear.

Ask your pharmacist or your physician about taking old med.s. They'll tell you to NOT do this, but look back behind their eyes. Only one of my physicians came out and said, "Screw it, do it." But it's true. In survival situations, we often have to push the envelope to stay alive ... to keep our family members alive. Post-SHTF, mess with me and you'll rue the day you did. Homey can be distinctly NOT nice. Forgive me Lord.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    out of date medication or medication of any sort wont last long, dont know about in USA but in Britain most people dont stock up and often run out of their particular medication, I saw an example of this in my local health centre only a few weeks ago. anyone who needs really serious medication like cancer drugs or dialysis wont be around for long post collapse. if we have to have loads and loads of medicines just to survive post collapse then we are only delaying the inevitable.
    the best medication is to keep ourselves as healthy as we possibly can by eating a good diet and taking regular exercise, that way we will outlive all the unhealthy people, plenty of them around.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm currently taking meds whose shelf lives ended in 2019 and 2020. I'd gone off them back when, but then again needed them. These meds I'd refrigerated "just in case". Turned out that I needed them again. Note than opioid pain med.s do NOT store well at all. Do your research first. Like I said before, a physician of mine back in my home state talked to me about the shelf lives of medications. He was of the survivalist mindset.

Recently, I had a upper respiratory virus that turned into a pulmonary infection. Got a regional clinic doc to look at me and he concurred with what I suspected. If you are getting into trouble, GO SEE A DOCTOR! The antibiotic he chose worked beyond well, within two days, I'd made super progress. So, I'm gonna order some antibiotics online, the ones that physician talked to me about.

I know a bunch about human anatomy and physiology; however when it comes to treating diseases, I go see a doctor or talk to a pharmacist. I know a lot about medicines, yet that isn't what I do day-in and day-out. Always talk to the pro.s. When a younger man, I had two auto repairmen who were on NASCAR race teams. If something is important, never cut corners. Research first, then act.

Where I'm gonna get some meds, a physician calls you up to learn about your situation -- i.e. they won't send you anything that could be dangerous to your personal health profile. I also tell my current physician about such matters. She agreed with me that is good to have some extra meds on-hand in case of the unforeseen.

If you believe something could absolutely never happen, then you've screwed your Karma and this will assuredly be thrown in your life path. I've got stories.

A work-mate of mine continually warned (arrogantly so) his wife about her obesity and told her that her heart was going to go bad. Who had the massive heart attack? Yes, him ... Mr. Lean Guy. His family had to provide CPR. At hospital he had to be defibrillated. Due to poor blood O2 levels, he lost memories going back over a year.

Can't happen = Will happen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    A lot of research has been done on shelf life of drugs in the USA. The military set up a project in the mid 80s, the 'Shelf Life Extension Program' which tests drug potency retention over a period of years after their use by date. saving the military over $2b

Other tests here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/

Most antibiotics can be stored 5-15 years or more past beyond shelf life date , I think tetracycline was not good but read somewhere thay they improved on that. Basically tablet/capsule medications last for donkey's years, liquid medication does not typically age well. Morphine ampules last forever.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ampules are the best. This is especially true if refrigerated. Pill and capsule opioids don't last.

Lidocaine is another Rx that doesn't last; thus, it is almost always delivered in ampule form.

Many meds can be stored in powder form; however, the populace doesn't see this. It is a storage method in pharmaceutical facilities. Before being shipped out, the medication is reconstituted. For instance, insulin is stored by companies in powder form. One physician of mine looked into acquiring meds in this form. During his time in the military (i.e. decades ago), he had reconstituted meds shipped in powder form. The containers for powders have no oxygen in the unit's atmosphere. This physician got nowhere in his search for this powdered form of meds. He was a prepper and wished to store ahead. He also wanted to make preparations for his Church's congregation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no need to use old medicines at this time, better to get fresh supplies rather than use old stock.
    I suppose thats more about saving money than saving the planet.
    but post collapse as I have said before all stored items are finite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Its certainly worth storing cheap OTC medicines which have a life span of 10+ years such as aspirin, paracetamol and antihistamine tablets/capsules.

Remember back to lockdown when the shelves were cleared by the public in no time at all. Talking to a radio ham from New Jersey who comes to the UK three times a year on business and he stocks up on Ventolin which is now OTC and cost him around $10 each, in the USA prices in some places are over $100 each.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this stuff is cheap as chips in the supermarkets.
    just how much of this stuff does anyone need, I take a painkiller maybe a maximum of 6 times a year and not at all if I can avoid it.
    according to the most recent information available (7 june 2023) Asthma inhalers are NOT available OTC in UK , even if they are, at $10 a pop which is about £12.50 its an expensive way to buy them when the Prescription charge is £9.65 and a season ticket is available for heavy users. Even at Superdrug its still a prescription service and its £15 each or £24 for 2.
    $100 for an asthma inhaler is just insane. I think someone might be telling porkies.
    I've got Ventolin inhalers and they cost me nothing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Drug expiry debate: the myth and the reality"

Afr Health Sci. 2019 Sep; 19(3): 2737–2739.
    doi: 10.4314/ahs.v19i3.49

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/

"There is so much wastage of drugs as they are not used in time. Medications are expensive, and in the Asian and African continents, where many have the problem of affordability the debate is to see if the medication could be used even after the expiry date without losing the efficacy. Most of drug expiration dates information is from the study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

"Hence, the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    drugs just lose their efficacy over time, some faster than others, they still work but not to the same level as fresh stock.

TMT Tactical likes this.