Seafood Storage?

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by overcast, Jul 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have came across some of the seafood cans and the packages. For the packages I can tell you that they may not last more than 6 months unless they are in fridge. in case of the seafood can you may notice that it can go on for longer. I am wonder what are some of the type of storage may work out for seafood for say longer than 6 months if you plan to live in woods? Do we need electricity all the time to preserve such food?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Sea food which includes fish tends to be perishable and goes bad within days. In the woods, the ideal preservation method is salting or smoking it to dessicate it or remove moisture which is necessary for bacterial action before storing in a sealed packet or container. A clean, polythene paper should be enough.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    The pelican
    What a wise old bird is the pelican his beak can hold more than his belly can he can hold it in he beak for about a week but I don't see how the hell he can

On a side note you can can fish

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We no long buy seafood because of the pollution & contamination. You can salt fish or you can dry it to preserve it. No, you do not need electricity in the bush, it just makes things easier if you have a fridge/freezer. We lived for over 20 years without electricity.
    Keith.

5. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree on the pollution part. Some of the issues with the pollution has caused some fish to be unsafe for eating. Especially chemical plants and the refineries that drop their waste into ocean. I think doing fishing near that part may not be a good idea. So any company that catches fish in that region may not be safe to buy fish from. You gave me one good idea about dried fish. I may have to try that.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is also the nuclear contamination from Fukushima, & I found out that John West tinned fish comes from Thailand, which is another place to avoid buying fish from. Predatory fish have a high content of mercury as well as other highly poisoness contamination.
    Keith.