Secret stash

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Doug H., Jan 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in Indiana, one of my concerns has always been tornados. Even with the best insurance company, it will be a few days before you get any help. So my idea was this, put a secret stash of basic survival essentials. A good majority of people have a self storage unit that they keep all of their extra crap in, and so do I. What I did was took a heavy steel construction job site box, with locking capabilities and bolted it to the concrete floor of my storage unit using concrete anchors and heavy lag bolts. Job site boxes are large enough to store quite a bit of stuff in them. In mine I keep a couple changes of clothes for each of us, skein bags, tents, a few cases of drinking water, camp stove, food for a week, copies of important documents, a couple of weapons and ammunition, first aid supplies, and some cash. The same could be done for a SHTF secret supply.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think a rented storage unit in an "urban centre" would get looted fairly soon after any SHTF event. just my opinion, but I reckon if you haven't got absolute control over where you store stuff, the same with Caches on land you DONT own, then you'll probably lose it in an emergency. I guess its worth a try but I wouldn't store stuff like guns and ammo there...just in case.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Doug H.

Doug H. Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The main reason I did that was because of tornadoes in our area, to keep emergency stuff in a separate place from our home. When I started prepping I thought of a few other things to keep in it. Storing weapons in it would be more of a last resort. I do have a few stored in a separate location, but they are at a friend's home, and I store his extra weapons stash at my home.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You need a under ground shelter we buried a miltary surplus box that held radio equipment and use it as a root cellar and tornado shelter its perfect

Keith H. likes this.
  5. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Tom that an underground shelter is the best location for a secret stash for most natural disasters, but building an underground shelter is not always an easily available option. In that case renting a safe storage unit also seems like a great idea but as lonewolf has pointed out, if it is not safe enough it could get looted pretty quickly after a disaster so choose the location of your storage unite wisely.

6. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Underground shelter i think is the safest bet. It's can be easily hidden, although it does require alot of time and effort to prepare it but it's totally worth it at the end. A storage can be ransacked pretty easily especially during these desperate times, you can just imagine people will be all aggressive and will do anything to break in said storage to collect the treasures.

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When hiding Constitutional 2nd Amendment firearms from government goons, it is absolutely imperative that you also put-out dozens of decoys ... hundreds if you have the time and materiel to do so.

Scenario: You stash a rifle in a sealed PVC pipe and stick it in the ground -- same for ammo in a sealed PVC pipe. I think we all understand that any metal detector can find such a stash and quickly so. This is utterly futile.

What to do? Put out numerous pieces of scrap metal under the soil. The bigger the better. Too, put a decoy piece of metal over your actual PVC pipe storage. Make the real-deal storage look like the other 50 - 100 fakes. Here's another thing, have an entire field of fakes where you are NOT storing anything. If you have the resources, put scrap metal in the same same PVC pipe modality you used for the real storage item.

Is this fool-proof?! Heavens no! Yet, you have made life difficult for your enemies / enemies of the Constiturion. The more effort you put into this, the more you slow them down. If you AND your mates do the same, then y'all have royally slowed-down the enemies of our Constitution. Government goons are not only the enemies of our sacred Constitution, they are but one crew who've been made the enemies of God's Will on Earth. All of this is sick. Truth be told, I don't want to think about it. I'd rather just get on with the few years left in my life. Tick, tick, tick, ..................

Sacred Liberty enables people, souls in temporary physical form/manifestation, to make decisions that reflect their stance / where they exist relative to the Will of The Creator of all things. Are we separated from our Creator in this plane of existence? YES, holy sh##! No joke! Sickening it is. This crap actually makes me feel violated. Yet, what is it that I'm to do?! That I'm stuck here isn't up for debate. You do with the hand you are dealt. My professional gambler dad taught me these principles LONG before I should have been slammed by reality. Eleven years old, welcome to the real world! Thanks Dad. Dad wasn't cruel. It was only that he prepared me for a cruel world. God bless my father! God bless my father!

Another thing to put into any storage container is a moisture-absorbing unit (there are many). Gotta prevent rust. Too, protect your firearm with chemical rustproofing. I recommend Birchwood Casey products. I like their "Barricade" products. Why? Decades ago I purchased a firearm out of the Basque region of Spain. It worked fine, yet it was a rust-o-rama product -- it would rust for fun and relaxation. Which product was able to stop it from rusting? Yep, the Birchwood Casey's product line. No other product did anywhere near as good. I'm no representative of theirs, yet I'd do a commercial for them.

Don't use WD-40 nor any other penetrating oil!

What? Why?! They work. Penetrating oils sure do work. As a matter of fact, they will penetrate cartridge cases and de-activate primers. I've got stories. Do NOT oil your ammo. I've bought military issue waxed ammo out of India and that stuff wasn't compromised. You clean/wipe-off waxed ammo and it simply works. However, penetrating oils KILL ammo. They just do. :mad::( Cops ran into this problem big-time a long way back in the days when revolvers were standard issue. Six rounds of ammo turned into scrap metal via oiling. ONLY use high quality products such as Birchwood Casey. Oil, then wipe-off firearms. Don't oil ammo. Don't. Wipe all oil out of cartridge chambers! A "click" vs. a "BANG" is a matter of life or death.

Silicone is another lube worth considering. In sub-freezing conditions, oil turns into a THICK grease or worse, tar. The rifle's action will seize. Think "molasses". Would you put molasses in the action of your firearm?! Me, I wouldn't. I've worked with men who were stationed in Alaska. This phenom. is not up for debate. Hunters from the "lower 48" states have had this happen to them up Alaska way -- gun oil turning into hard lard ... even worse. Don't let this happen to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;);););););)

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I certainly cant see any Govt stooges going door to door especially in this country and especially not post SHTF.
    it wasnt even done in WW2 Blitz Britain, only if someone grassed up their neighbour which wasnt that often as most were in the same position.
    I know my (now late) mother in law was paying 10shillings (half a British Pound) for ONE egg for her sickly son.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.