Seeds in survival pack?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by cyclistbabe, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Is storing seeds in your survival pack viable until you can find a place to settle and farm or is this a waste of space and resources? What are the hardiest seeds which will grow in potentially adverse conditions? I live in the 5a/5b zone on the East coast.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think carrying vegie seeds with you is essential. I do not have any in my pack, because we store seeds for use in our garden. IF we had to leave our forest home, we would take our seed with us.
    The hardiest? No idea, but we would be taking everything we have. Corn, squash, Jerusalem Artichoke root crop, silverbeet, chard, beans, Rhubarb stock, & more.
    Keith.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Maybe if you are expecting to be out of civilization for an incredibly long time, as most "survival" events happen days, maybe weeks or a couple of months, but if you have seeds, they wouldn't have time to grow into edible things before you either die of starvation, or you get rescued. The idea of having seeds is pretty good if you are planning staying outside the grid for a long time, and you want to be self sufficient, but other than that, it's not very viable, and there are other things you need to put in your survival pack, such as first aid maybe.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Carrying seeds into a survival situation would be smart. They need to be heirloom seeds. These seeds are open-pollenated, rather than hybrid. Hybrid seeds do not grow well. So you should search out the heirloom seeds and get a good supply.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Depends on which way you look at it. If you have somewhere where you go & will be going possibly in the future, then why not plant seeds there now? These plants can grow & rot down & grow again if unattended & may still be there when you next visit.
    Seeds don't weigh that much, not an important consideration when thinking of carrying other equipment/supplies in place of the seeds. A half dozen seeds of various varieties would weigh next to nothing & take up no room at all.
    Keith.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most UK preppers I have spoken to keep a stash of seeds for use post event, kept in a sealed tin in a cool dry place, heirloom seeds not hybrid or F1 as some packets are marked, again as in food storage store the seeds of plants you like to eat and ones that will grow in your location.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Having seeds is the smartest thing to do. This way you can plant food and have a consistent food source. The next best thing to do is have tools for farming. If you want to travel light the seeds them self are ideal for that. They have miniature farming tools that you could carry. I would think about planting food as soon as I could. I think potatoes and kale are the easiest to grow.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would carry different kinds of seeds with me. Maybe it will take too long for it to grow and be eatable but sometime down the road after the apocalypse you probably would want to settle down somewhere safe and be able to have enough food resources. That's what they would be good for.

9. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Seeds these days are a tricky subject. Because of how farming is set up you may end up with seeds that are only good for one season and only produce fruit that is not capable of reproducing. In that case you will probably be better off to find seeds from a more organic source along the way.