New Member Sekelbos-'survival' Vs Rough Camping ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by sekelbos, Mar 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    I nearly got lost at the old place but luckily picked up your sent till here..

I sometimes get the feeling that some grown-up people that are not used to camping a lot try to make their trip out there more dramatical by calling it 'survival' for their blog or youtube channel.
    It is a word that grab the imagination, but really, if you ever were in such a situation--it's no joke!
    I blame false media and TV shows for this huge misconception.
    [Or egos?]

Even sleeping outside in nature for a night or two in a self made debris shelter are most of the times merely minimalist camping and still not 'survival'!
    We all like to go out there and practice our 'survival' skills, [me too] but then it is training and not real survival.

I wish we could just not mislead some inexperienced or younger outdoor enthusiasts by letting them believe to camp out in a 'primitive' way equals real 'survival'.
    We have to encourage 'primitive' or minimalistic camping though ,as it definitely can prepare you for one day in the unlikely event you do find yourself in a real survival situation.
    Let us not get too carried away by this multi-million dollar 'survival' business and media 'survival' hype and continue to enjoy our camping [in whichever way] to the full.

Even on a Boys Scout etc youngster camp some of these young and enthusiastic lads crude overnight shelters are merely supervised camping, though to boost their self confidence we sometimes tell them 'wow,you survived' etc--but that is altogether a different matter !
    C5C7101F6F514A3EB90F2D1C8145967F.JPG

lalakai, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    whilst I was a Boy Scout I was told " if you think your roughing it your doing it wrong!"!!

3. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Another survivor from the shipwrecked forum. Glad you found us. Good to have you with us.

TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day, & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Rough camping is what a survivor does while they are on the move either running from or heading to someplace. Eventually, a survivor will hopefully find someplace to settle and then start living again rather than just surviving for another day.

Welcome to our little island of sanity.... Or at least to our hiding place...

sekelbos, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

sekelbos likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We used to do warm welcomes from East Texas but anymore it is more a wet welcome but nonetheless welcome again.

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here! I loved your post, because the topic is near and dear to my heart.

I had the fortune (thought it was a misfortune at the time) to live in a rough camp for three years. (wrote some of the details of my lessons in the school of hard knocks in my intro post on this board). So, yeah, it is one thing to READ about how to do this or that, but one learns so much more by actually doing them, however painful that may be.

I'm sure that we will learn a lot from you, and I am especially looking forward to your posts.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Google ... Rainbow Family... and Rainbow Gatherings...
    These people are all about rough camping. They gathered here a few years ago and it was enlightening. They are more than a bit flaky by most any standards but they take camping to a different level. Basically what I got out of it was that they try to live in the woods rather than camp there. They will dig a little place out under a fallen tree and just call it home.

Lots of people have issues with them. When they descend mass on an area for a gathering it is pretty hard on the local environment. They don't use money and if they get hurt and end up in the hospital they don't pay. All that aside though they are an interesting group to meet and talk to.

As I was told, "Animals don't camp. They live in the arms of the forest as a part of it."

sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.