Self-defense Mental Preparation

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Lee CT NE, Feb 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Before your first confrontation, you must come to terms with what you're prepared and able to do. With firearms, I advise folks not to even own one unless he/she is prepared to use it on another human. Shooting at targets is far different than being shot at and returning accurate fire.

This mental preparation also applies to hand-to-hand, knife, etc. What are YOU prepared to do to protect yourself and your loved ones? Remember: Talk is cheap.

You must serious consider what you are willing to do. If you have Christian or other religious beliefs, how will your decision to maim or kill another person square with your belief system.

So think about it, talk about it, live with your decision. You must have a clear mind/conscience before you take any self-defense action in the future.

Alaskajohn and Caribou like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember a woman telling me once that she would rather die than use a gun for defence, her choice. But I think if push comes to shove, most people will kill to save their family & themselves. Having a gun is insurance, if you can't kill, then aim to disable. But personally I recommend killing them lots! If they can still move, then they are a danger. Don't worry about the killing, you don't let your women get raped & killed because of your religious beliefs, if you do then you have no honour & don't deserve to live. Get a gun & learn to use it. If you do not care about your own life, then at least think of others.
    Keith.

Alaskajohn, Caribou and Lee CT NE like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Knife fight, let's not even talk about that. Makes my legs tingle. If you've ever been cut or stabbed, you know what I mean. On two occasions men pulled a knife on my papaw, he pulled his gun both times, one guy got religion, and the other guy got shot.

Speaking of guns, a gun is what I recommend. A sheriff's department range-master who had worked the county jail a many a night said that on every occasion (numerous) he'd used mace or pepper spray, he got a royal dose in his own eyes and face himself. Spray or stream, these sprays get on you also. Buy a gun.

But, buy a gun if you are going to use it. I'm different, I never thought about not having a gun, the women in my family had guns, guns were just part of normal day to day -- I'm certain that I can't even think like others think concerning guns. I say "weapon" because it was burned into me as a kid by former military men that a "gun" was a piece of artillery and your rifle was your personal "weapon". That said, where I'm coming from (and I've been certified as rifle trainer and handgun trainer) and all, a novitiate says to me that they want a gun. That's when we have a little talk.

As we talk, I'm thinking, "Push comes to shove, can they do the deed?" I listen for things like, "Maybe I can just wound them." OK, so if they don't have that "whatever it is" within them to follow through with the whole defense reaction thingy, then I'm backing off on recommending that they get into the whole process of getting good with a gun. There is a lot that goes into getting good and incorporating a weapon into your brain's wiring. "Get good or get dead," right! There is this flood of information flooding into my brain right now and I can't even begin to start on it, so I won't.

I want more women to own guns. That's a big bias of mine. I guess what I want is for people who attack people they see as vulnerable to have something horrific to happen to them. I mean, isn't it just the best daydream to imagine a rapist getting a hole in his breastbone and him losing control of his body?!!! Watching a bad person getting seriously injured is like hearing a symphony orchestra playing some angelic piece of music. That look on the bad guy's face is worth a million billion dollars. It's like all is well in the firmament now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Lee CT NE, Caribou and Keith H. like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Mental prep before hand is maybe the most important part of any self defense action. Here is a great video to watch and it explains very concisely why you DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE after any self defensive action. After a shooting I was involved in, a cop on the scene, told me and I quote" if a detective comes out, tell them you were in fear of your life and then shut up." This video goes into great detail why that was such great advice. Watch and learn.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It takes time to decide how to react. Then it takes more time to react. The reaction can take up to two seconds. The decision making can take from a fraction of a second to the rest of your life. Visualisation can reduce your decision making. Envision different scenarios, over and over, so that when the time comes you have already decided what to do.

Play the 'what if ' game. What if someone broke into my home? How would I get my weapon? How would I identify whether it was my teenager sneaking in? What would I do if a carjacker tried to attack at this light? What would I... Run different scenarios through your head, everyday.

When you sit at a restaurant you pick the chair that has the best view of a possible threat. You plan two ways to exit. Probably the front door and the kitchen. If there is a robbery and you're sitting where you can see the armed robber enter, and you've already planned an exit out the kitchen, you can get away from the situation.

6. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I play the "What If" scenario all the time. How would somebody break in? The Car Jacking situation is why I switched to a cross draw setup. The seat belt would not hamper my draw. As Caribou stated, knowing what you would want to do in a situation is key to dealing with a given situation.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was 16. Somebody opened the screen door to our back door between our kitchen and back porch. I got up went to the gun cabinet in my room, got my double-barrel 12 ga., loaded it, went to where I could observe the back door. I figured that they might break the glass to unlock that door. I figured I'd blow their hand off. I stood at port-arms and waited. No trouble went back to bed. Told my dad in the morning. He said I did good.

Kept an idiot or would-be home-invader or mean alcoholic out our house when our first kid was just a baby. F__-face pounding on our door, demanding to be let inside woke our colicy baby. I was mad enough to kill many people, but I explained the situation to the a$$hole, he got in his "car that wouldn't start" started it and drove off. What I told him I would do to him was what I would actually have done to him. I'd racked a load of buckshot into the chamber before our little discussion. My wife thought that I was going to kill him anyway.

I have other pleasant little stories. And, the men in my family shot people.

In a situation where my family or I are threatened with violence or invasion, I will kill first and think about it later. To kill is reflexive. Fight or flight is hard-wired. So far, I've never run away, I locked and loaded.

When a child, I killed things for sh##s'n'grins. Before we were married, my wife observed me killing an animal simply to test a new rifle. She must have loved me. She's still with me. Or maybe she figured that should someone have ever threaten her or the kids, I would do to the aggressor that which would make Satan vomit.

I've a gun in my pocket right now. I do not answer the door without having first identified the person. Still, behind my back I'm holding a loaded gun. Felons use women, kids, kidnapped friends of yours as a front to gain access to your dwelling. I could get killed, but I'm taking the inferior with me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Lee CT NE, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    As some of you combat veterans can likely verify . Under combat conditions your survival reactions become super fast . If something triggers you , you go into a reaction in a mil a second . I learned fast , on my first day on my Nam assignment I heard a whistling in the air and dove behind some sand bags . A rocket hit about 10 feet on the other side of those sand bags bouncing me off the ground . After that my reaction was at a very fast level and stayed that way even years after leaving Nam . --- The first Sargant told me if I survived for two weeks , statists showed my odds of survival would be a lot greater . I guess I had the mentality they wanted . When one of our own threw a hand grenade into the little hooch the Colonel and First Sargant were in , but both survived , I was the guy they immediately called in to take care of the problem .

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    During the Vietnam era, most people learned that when someone first came home from active duty that you did NOT startle them. At that time you could go from the jungle to a city street in a matter of days. Those reactions don't fade very fast and if you spook someone fresh out of the jungle you can get hurt. For a lot of them, this was something that caused them a lot of trouble and worry. My first cousin left his wife because he was afraid that he would harm her after she playfully jumped in the bed with him one night and got knocked across the room. Four tours to Vietnam haunted him for the rest of his life. He was always afraid to get mad and over time he just withdrew. He wasn't haunted so much by what he had seen or done as by what he feared that he might do almost instinctively if he lost his temper of something spooked him.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    car jacking: I was told nearly 30 years ago when collecting the site payroll from another location by car if anyone tries to flag me down, hit the accelerator and power out of there, if they dont get out of the way thats their problem. I have driven ever since will those instructions ringing in my ears.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate in that I can legally always have a gun at hand when I am in my car. You don't even have to have a concealed carry license because your car is ruled to be a part of your home and so a gun is an acceptable thing to have. I normally don't keep it out and handy except when I got down towards Houston.

The county where I live has 7 big prisons and then there are three more in the surrounding counties. That means that there are thousands of people in the area that are not in the least impressed by criminals and make very poor victims of crimes. In general, most criminals go elsewhere. To their perspective, there are WAY too many cop type people around.

I honestly don't think that I have ever heard of anyone here being a victim of a carjacking. Cars get stolen but doing it while it is occupied would just be a short carreer. I usually have a handgun in my glove compartment or under th seat that I get out when i get in. there is also a large knife within reach and in my truck I carry a sawed off shotgun most of the time. A shotgun on a gun rack goes a long way to head off any problema with asshats.

With all that said I have never really come close to shooting anyone. There have been a couple of times when I got a gun in hand but as soon as the problem saw the gun the problem left or desisted in their actions. Guns in general make people less likely to act a fool and while we carry a lot of guns in Texas our murder rate is a lot lower than places like most of the big northern cities with strict gun control laws.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If I must leave a handgun in my car, I disassemble the weapon and take the barrel with me.

Or, I take the slide stop pin with me. Should the lower-order "people" rack the slide on this stolen weapon, the barrel-slide-group will fly off the front of the receiver.

I wish that there existed a rig that would allow the weapon to NOT allow the bullet out of the barrel and cause the weapon to explode in the hand of the thief. I do not believe that a simple barrel obstruction would cause all of the above. The felon deserves his hand to be torn off and/or his eyes put out.

Lee CT NE, wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i find in my defensive tool aquirements that its an easier mentality to use a firearm than it is to stick a blade into someone or hack someone to death. that is one of my worries when the ammo runs out or low...can i really do it with a blade? :(

14. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Wally,

Option Bravy need not be cutlery.

The basic rule is to avoid direct contact with trash.

Consider some research on irritant gas or other types such as aramatic skunk flavor. Research the compressed powders (not from Nieman Marcus cosmetics counter).

My Option Bravo ... it's also my Primary Alpha ... are poetry books.

Everything must be legal otherwise from overseas experience I'd mention some options allowed outside of our fruited plain.

Lee CT NE and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what about a crossbow? I believe you can buy some powerful crossbows in the US.

16. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bows of all types ( I prefer the crossbow) help prevent blood splatter avoidance issues. Spears will also gain a person a bit of distance. Heck, a person can even resort to spear guns to avoid the up close and personal experience. I don't think somebody should worry about being able to use a knife, they should be more concerned about allowing the bad guy to get that close. If the occasion mandates an up close and very personal encounter, I seriously doubt that ooh and goo concerns will be an issue. Self preservation will kick in and people will do what needs being done. Any weapon in hand is better than just using bad words..

Lee CT NE, wally and Caribou like this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    bow hunting of any kind is illegal in the UK, which is strange given our history with the long bow-Agincourt etc.
    post SHTF anything goes.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Not strange at all. Culturally relevant weapons have a long history of being made illegal. Somebody with skill and pride that has been passed down generationally can be a formidable foe. Also a jury could well side with the person using a traditional weapon.

wally, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    yes i own a saxon....

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the news:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/10/23/watch-onlyfans-star-opens-fire-alleged-home-invaders/

"OnlyFans star Ansley Pacheco opened fire on alleged home invaders who burst into her Miami-Dade County, Florida, home on October 4 just before 8:45 p.m

"The Daily Mail reports that the two alleged armed invaders made their way into the home as friends of Pacheco’s husband, Daniel, arrived to watch a Miami Heat basketball game on television. Once inside, the alleged invaders held them at gunpoint in the living room.

"Pacheco was in the bedroom with her seven-year-old son. She then grabbed her husband’s gun and opened fire on the alleged intruders to protect her son.

"The men fled as shots were exchanged and Daniel ran to Pacheco, took the gun, and chased after the suspects."

Seems they had security cameras in the house. Should have had a dog. The dog might get shot, however while the dog distracts/chew-on the invader, you can put a few rounds into the invader. Our dog bites. I'd put its bark at 80 dB loud. Dog is 70 lb, 32 kilo; has ¾" fangs, 1.9cm.

Armed robbers and home invaders have no right to life. Gang-bangers have to have committed armed robberies, a rape, murder, or drive-by shooting to become a member of their gang. Females have to pull the train. Savagery must be met with singular severity.

wally, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.