Sewing And Outdoor Gear, Clothes

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Pragmatist, Nov 13, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I believe Puffy is those big puffy ski type jackets all full of down or synthetic fill

randyt, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    in my stash is a sewing awl . A heavy duty hand sewing device for sewing heavy material such as leather . I have sewed and made leather bags for my muzzle loader and a couple of leather bags for carrying flint and steel fire starting kits . I no doubt am thinking way further into an apocalypse situation than preppers that just prepare for something as basic as a cat 5 hurricane . And yes I have been through a cat 5 hurricane in a house built right after the yankeys burnt down the original house on the slave plantation " hurricane Camille " And quite frankly don't even know the number of other hurricanes I have been through . --- So the sewing awl is for sewing and making leather clothes not for pertying up some fancy fashion designer clothing .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Old Geezer, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      This reminds me how my dad used to use the old waxed heavy canvas tarps. We had equipment to cover and by-god it could NOT get wet. We used those tarps and 3/4" Manila rope. I can feel that sticky oil residue on my hands right now. What they treated rope with back then, was the next thing to tar. We didn't use gloves. We just grew calluses. When tying down our heavy lines, it was like tugging on a cactus until your hands grew used to it, i.e. grew the calluses. I also started developing special calluses on my left hand's thumb from shooting so much pool. As a kid, I'll carry around a wooden coke case to get me up high enough to shoot pool in the pool halls where dad had his gambling machines. Ah, the "good ol' days!" Today, this would be referred to as "child abuse". Sh##, I was in seventh heaven. Stale tobacco, stale beer, jukebox playin' Waylon Jennings. Swimming through the smoke. Smiling kid.

Old Geezer, Dec 12, 2020
      randyt likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Country Guy and Poltiregist,

Appreciate Puffy definition.

A sewing kit is important. Mine also has buttons and velcro dots and strips.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It was unplanned but I found a deal on a radio swap and sell program today that I grabbed . I bought 6 bolts of cloth for $50.00 from a retired seamstress . That is to go into the stash to make clothes after the collapse . I bought a good sewing machine from a second hand thrift store about two years ago for $10.00 . We have solar power to run the sewing machine . Making clothes out of cloth will be easier than having to tan hides and sewing them up for clothes . -- Venturing out of my survival retreat for the first time in days , to buy the cloth , I was again seeing those moving vans coming from the `Democrat destroyed areas , A disturbing phenomenon .

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    randyt, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My computer settings are such that I can't read the article above. Like me, my firewall is OCD.

Poltergeist "sewing awl". Thanks man. Remember back when everybody had a go-to boot and leather repairman! By God, I kept my boots waxed and tended-to. When the soles or heels wore-out, there I was in that man's shop, same shop my dad used before me. Belts, leather bags, riggings, military rifle slings, ... he could handle it all. The smell of the place suffuses my head as I write.

upload_2020-12-12_20-7-42.png

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+use+a+sewing+awl&atb=v140-1&iax=videos&ia=videos

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I use a sewing awl for light-duty sewing but prefer hand stitching with a saddle stitch for things that will bear a load. In all of my kits, I include a small but extensive sewing kit for all kinds of sewing. I do a lot of leatherwork so have the tools for that and then also do some sewing in the heavy cloths for other things. I especially like the cloth from old jeans for making things that need to be strong but not as strong as leather.

That means that I have a lot of the heavier big eye needles in both the sharps and the blunts. The curved needles are also needed sore some repair type stitching. I usually have a little regular sewing thread but prefer the multithreaded heavy thread for leather. It can be divided into separate threads to offer lighter threads if you need them. You can also unravel a bit of a shirt or pants for a light thread.

If you are a big person in the future you may not be able to find clothes that fit you and so will need to be able to modify or make your own clothes and shoes. I have a 46" chest and wear EEE width shoes so finding clothes in a post-apocalyptic world may be a challenge.

randyt, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    That's a great buy, Poltiregist !

Am on the lookout for a bolt of ripstop nylon; I've got to physically see the material and this lockdown doesn't help.

TMT Tactical, randyt and poltiregist like this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never made my own clothes from scratch but I have always repaired my own clothes, first wife refused to so I have continued to do it for myself for maybe 45 years. being alone for a lot of that time meant if I didnt do it nobody would.
    I have all the needles, a large selection of various types of thread, a collection of buttons and zips, and recently obtained some Awls, dont have a bolt of cloth, my last one got used up so looking to buy or obtain some more, one thing that open air markets and car boot sales(pre covid) was useful for.

10. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    As preppers is it required that we all now how to sew to make and repair all of our stuff. Period

11. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Like many of you I have a wide selection of needles, pins, buttons, thread and so on. Recieved my new sewing machine 2 months ago. Its light enough on electricity that it has no major impact on the solar power. I have been looking for a late 1800s treadle machine for ages now, the ones for sale close seem to be in bad repair. The better looking(on the internet anyway) ones are just a 30 minute ferry ride away...which of course has not been allowed since March.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and randyt like this.
  12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  13. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I buy a package of needles almost every time that I go to Hobby Lobby. On top of being useful for a lot of things, they would make very handy trade stock. I have needles from the tiny little and nearly useless to huge mattress needles. I do a lot of leatherwork and that is hard on needles so I use a lot of them up. I like the bigger needles even when I'm sewing cloth. I don't do much in the way of dainty sewing.

I even have a functioning pedal-powered sewing machine that I inherited. I actually like to sew leather. It is sort of peaceful and relaxing. Sewing cloth is a lot more tedious to me.

During the summer which is most of the year some years here, I don't need a lot in the way of clothes. When I was a kid I spent the entire summer wearing nothing but cut-off jean shorts and no shoes. I tan really easily and dark and after that, I just can't get a sunburn. When I was a kid they didn't make shoes for feet like mine other than leather shoes so I just went barefoot. There was no such thing as EEE tennis shoes! I would probably go to some form of moccasin until my feet toughened up.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  15. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    my mother had a huge sewing chest. and before anything like shirts, pants coats ect got thrown out my mother would strip all buttons, zippers, good straight runs of fabric for patches. My mother was very frugal with six kids.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Rebecca,

Oh, what I'd give for a tredle machine ! ... more so than a roll top desk. This is the historian in me but now combined with the need for sewing.

A question: I have an electric sewing machine. Don't understand the bobbin attachment. Is there a standard replacement than can be purchased at a "sewing" store like Jo-Ann's down here ? I vaguely remember when Madam got the machine there were several bobbins. Am guessing each had a different purpose.

To summarize: I am confused.

Any and all basic, simple guidance appreciated.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  17. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Good day Pragmatist,
    I stick to Singer sewing machines, I learned to sew on my grandmother's Singer treadle machine and I guess that installed a love of the brand. So hence my knowledge is quite restricted to them. However, for bobbins themselves my new machine takes a certain type..clear plastic ones. It came with 5 but I have already purchased double that from Walmart here. So I know those are available.
    Bobbin cases, the metal bit you put the bobbin in and then into the machine, replacements are on Amazon Canada, so presumably the US site too. As well as Ebay and a sewing shop in Halifax.
    If you are particular then spares of almost every part can be purchased directly from Singer in the US. I often do if I have the time to wait because impressively they will ship it to me in Canada for free. Impressive because shipping stuff here can be killer.
    Unfortunately in relation to your question both my grandmother's machine and my newer ones the bobbins were standard to that machine. Other things like needles or the main thread which can come on different size spools, vary in function, size etc.
    Sorry I am not of more assistance.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  18. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Rebecca,

Actually you did answer all my questions.

Now I know what to do.

Will wait until holiday shopping is finished and then research whether machine needs a unit-specific bobbin case or not.

Thank you.

TMT Tactical likes this.