Shelters in snake infested areas

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Bonzer, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    How would you go about building a make-shift shelter in a semi-wild area? I was replying to a first-aid thread on the other day where people talked about highly dangerous, venomous snakes in Australia. I never went out an expedition and never used any camping gear. So, I've no experience.

Well, how would you make your shacks/huts snake-proof?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Snakes are a problem sleep in shifts allways check bed roll for guest before you get in

3. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for your reply Tom. What you mentioned is a good idea, but I was wondering if we ever get camping gears that stop wild creatures from getting in. Sleep is such a valuable commodity on an outdoor expedition which I wouldn't like to compromise on. I would like to know more about any possible alternatives.

4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A. pet cat or dog is good they will protect you more than people relize hear smell and see better than you they will let you lnow when something is there

Bonzer likes this.
  5. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Yep, that's true indeed. I've once seen a news item where a boy was bitten by a snake and was holding onto the boy's leg injecting more venom. A pet dog pounced on the snake and pulled it away while the boy's granny came rushing and rescued the boy. The sobbing boy, of course,was saved eventually.

I saw it on a television news item. I don't remember the exact country where it took place.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    We don't, snakes even enter houses. You just make your shelter & hope the snakes stay out. If you construct your shelter on higher ground away from water, there is less chance of seeing any snakes. Stick strewn forest floors are good, snakes prefer an easy passage over grass or smooth surfaces.
    In the Territory we used to get King Brown snakes in the house all the time, even had one in our son's cot. I kept a sawn off 12 gauge shotgun handy at all times.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Growing up in Texas, the copperhead capital of America, I HATE snakey areas. I agree that a hammock is the best way to go. Now, I have also seen where individuals take a rope that is rough to the touch and lay it in a circle around where they are going to sleep. Then lay down inside that circle to sleep. I have never done this so I can not speak from experience. My vote is the hammock.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you can make your shelter in the woods snake-proof. When my husband was young, they used to see a snake inside their house, as often as once a month. Their home is between 2 fish ponds with water spinach and a grassy field on the front. Snakes are common and the best they could do is to always leave the door closed.

In the woods, maybe the only defense we can put up is the bonfire. Surely, snakes would be repelled by the appearance of the fire and the odor of smoke. However, you need to have the bonfire 24/7 otherwise if the place is infested with snakes, surely you would be attacked. It's good if you can build a shield like a mosquito screen so the snake cannot reach you. Or better if you have a dog, snakes are deterred by a dog especially if it is quick to bark.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Snakes like heat they are cold blooded the more heat the more likely to see a snake

10. joshposh

joshposh Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking online for a snake repellent and everything that's out there is a scam. Like all living creatures they are attracted to shelter, food, and warmth. If you living area is full of crevices to hide in and a lot of natural food, you are most likely will have a critter or to visit you sooner or later. Someone earlier mentioned a hammock and that should get you off the ground. The only shelter I think would work is a tent with that zips up shut where nothing but air can get through the mesh. I hate to bring up a tent in nature but that is the only solution I can think of.

No holes for the snakes to crawl into.
    _oyBxV9PoV-gyDUzfPw1eQQbxwx1uDqB.jpeg

Another possibility is to not try to repel any pest but to do the exact opposite. Case in point, I use to have a ant problem in my last apartment. If I got rid of one colony, then another species of ant would come in and the bait traps was ineffective. This would go on repeatedly til I finally gave into the idea of indulging them with what they want. I had a Coke bottle with some left over coke at the bottom, and placed it outside in the yard a few yards from the house. Sure enough I saw less ants as they were now attracted away from the house. You can add to the bottle and place any left over food and they will be loving it.

So set up a snake station where it would invite the snakes even more then your dwelling. A huge rock pile with lots of openings, throw in some dead mice or lizards in a jar with a few opening to where it can be smelled by critters. See how that works. Every other day go over to the snake station and catch as much snakes a s you can to consume later. I'm not joking. Eat them. They also have snake traps for sale. They look like fish traps. Same principle applies.

[​IMG]

My buddies use to go bow hunting and they would leave a salt block for the axis deer to lick on during the day. A few days later he would be hiding in the trees waiting for the deer to come by. Same principle applies. Once the snakes know where the food is they will be back. Like most pest, rodents, even game will be attracted to a food source.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    That might help i do like a tent with a floor the rocks may do the trick but sleeping snakes like the warmth of you hammocks a great idea too ive got one i use

12. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    You could use something that will repel snakes. Sprinkle kerosene or diesel around your shelter or the area beyond which you don't want any snakes. I don't know if the smell or something else in kerosene or diesel that repels snakes. Fact is the two actually work. In normal times you can get them but post shtf it might not be that easy.

13. joshposh

joshposh Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been searching high and low and I can't seem to find anything remote that actually works. I know there is a scorpion repellent that some indigenous tribes still produce and it works. I wonder if that will work on snakes. Whatever it is, it must be pungent as hell.

Skip to 9:02 and you will see the repellent for a scorpion. I wonder if it will work on a snake?

14. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Make sure your shelter doesn't have any vents for snakes to pass through. You may use wood or mud to close unwanted vents. Snakes also like living in bushy surrounding. You will have to clear any bushes around to keep snakes away. Remember that snakes are very dangerous during hot seasons.

15. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Dogs play with snakes, well most do. I'm not so sure the Dog is the way to go.
    Cats kill snakes though, so Cats are great to have around. They also keep other such vermin at pay, Rats getting into your food supply for instance.

As for snake-proofing a place, I'm not sure you can. Even in suburban Melbourne (South Australia, it's rainy here) I've had neighbors with a Snake inside their house just this Summer past.
    Nothings foolproof. Just be vigilant.