Short Magazine Lee-enfield (smle)

Discussion in 'Guns' started by ColtFord, May 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Just wondering how the Lee-Enfield chambered in .303 British compares to the M1 Garand chambered in .30-06 as a survival rifle?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's less powerful but still just as useful for most purposes.
    It's harder to mount optics on most old military rifles though, and ammo choices will be more limited if you don't reload.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, Snyper. Your information is useful. So it would be possible to add a scope to the smle if it was drilled and tapped though it might be a pain to do so?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have both the m1 and the SMLE but would prefer the SMLE as a survival rifle. I like the simplicity of the SMLE, it can be loaded quickly with chargers. Mine are not scoped but I suppose a long eye relief scope could be mounted on the rear sight base. Someone makes a mount for this. The SMLE is easier to slip a grouse load into it if desired. The magazine could be removed to unload . The magazine was not really meant to be removed, meant to be loaded in place.

The m1, some say that shooting other than military spec loads, the operating rod can be damaged. I don't know, I shoot military ball in mine. The 30-06 would be easier to find than the .303 but if the m1 becomes inoperable that's not much good either.

ColtFord and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've no experience with the M1. I like the M14. When a kid, could field-strip & reassemble an M14 in 45 seconds.

Get a gunsmith to do your scope mounts on an Enfield. Me I've always preferred aperture sights on my No 4 rifles. You may wish to mount your scope forward so that you can use the stripper clips -- besides, you're wanting a handy-rifle.

I got into Enfields back 35+ years ago and have loved them ever since. Understand that back then, we were getting in some cheap yet quality ammo in. I loved the Greek .303 ammo destined for the Hong Kong police (Gurkha troops were stationed there) -- lacquered primers, annealed cases, non-corrosive primers.

I could write forever on this topic, but I'm so tired I've gotta stop. The Enfield is my favorite battle rifle. Oh these slick bolt actions! Love :p

TMT Tactical and ColtFord like this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    There are mounts made to fit them, some of which require no drilling:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=scope...-19&sk=&cvid=F1135D56DEF04A0096F4535D98BE6262

The guns don't tend to be very accurate though, so I think one would be better off to buy a more modern bolt action for anything beyond 200 yards.

The biggest advantage to old military rifles is most of them are relatively cheap.
    The quality leaves a lot to be desired.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    True enough when it comes to the rifles being cheap and plentiful. Regarding distance I can't see shooting a target past 600 feet (200 yards) so that would not really be a concern. I would probably get a sniper rifle for that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    .303 British Ammunition can be found around here but it is no where near as plentiful as is .308 or 30.06 ammunition.

My Enfield is chambered in .308 and not .303 British. I can reload .308 as well as 30.06 ammunition.

Mine is what is termed an Ishapore Enfield and so chambered in .308. This was a later adaptation of the Enfield Rifles as western forces were projecting to get ready for the NATO Ammunition standard.

I believe the Australians also made some Enfield Rifles in .308 calibration.

The Enfield rifle is a rugged and dependable design but it is a full sized battle rifle...and heavy when fully loaded...even though I also have a sling on mine.

I have thusly opted for one of the Mossberg Patrol rifles in .308 calibration ...magazine fed...ten rounds.

This rifle can use M14 magazines or even .308 Magpul magazines ...10 or 20 round capacities. In this the Mossberg Patrol Rifle reminds me of the Enfield. Best part of the Mossberg is a lighter rifle but the recoil in .308 is less than the hard metal butt stock of the Ishapore Enfield.

Nothing wrong with the Enfield rifle..but remember it is a full battle rifle therefore heavy by comparison to todays rifles with lighter materials...and more padding on the butt stock.

My non Ishmaelite .02

Watcherchris

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    WWI, the Germans often thought that they were under machine-gun fire when in fact it was simply the Brits using their Enfields. Schoolmate of mine went to live in Australia for 30+ years (& three wives). He hunted with an elderly retired Aussie soldier. The Aussie could perpetually outdo him hunting hogs. My friend was using a semiauto (this was decades ago) and the retired military man an Enfield. In the field under field conditions the Enfield ate the semi-auto's breakfast.

At the Gunsite range Col. Cooper had two true riflemen compete; one had an AK, the other a lever 30-30. The lever won.

"God is on the side not of the heavy battalions, but of the best shots." Voltaire

It is basically impossible to put a number on the thousands of rifles I have held and whose actions I've cycled. The Enfield is THE slickest, hands down.

I'll let the following young man speak:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    slicker than a krag?

11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the features which makes the Lee Enfield Rifle so fast in operation is that the bolt locking lugs are near the back of the bolt operator not at the barrel like on a Mauser design...with locking lugs near the chamber of the rifle.

This is backwards from the set up on most bolt action rifles of today.

Also with the Lee Enfield when you operate the bolt closed...you are right there with your finger just above the trigger...not behind it as is the case with most bolt actions. This makes for fast reaction/firing times.

I like my Ishapore Enfield with one exception. It is a heavy rifle when loaded with a full magazine.

Of recent I obtained a bayonet for my Lee Enfield...to make it more historically complete. I would eventually like to get the ammunition belt for the same.

Have the ammunition belt and bayonet for my 1903 Springfield....and would like the same historically for my Enfield.

Watcherchris,

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    very cool.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is an Ishapore Enfield in .308 Calibration on the tailgate of my pick up.

15250977f1c76bb2cf9f0a9d907567ca.jpeg

You can tell an Ishapore because of the Aluminum Butt plate where as most .303s are brass.

Also the magazine for handling .308 NATO Tends to be more square on the front of it versus the Curved magazine on the .303 Enfield.

In .308 Calibration this rifle has a good recoil on that hard aluminum butt stock.

It is a good shooter but heavy when fully loaded. Not quite as tight in the groups as my 1903 Springfield...but good enough for what it was designed.

Notice when you bring the bolt closed your trigger finger falls right there at the trigger when the bolt is down and locked.

This Enfield Rifle in .308 calibration was chosen because logistically .308 can be found all across this land from coast to coast.

This is not the case with the .303 British round. Nothing wrong with the performance of the .303 British round. It is just not as logistically easy to find here versus .308.

Also I am set up to reload both .308 and 30.06 and they use the same bullet selection.

I can even make .308 brass cases from .30.06 brass cases if need be.

I can even fabricate 7.7mm Japanese Arisaka brass cases from 30.06 brass cases.

Ironically the 7.7mm Japanese Arisaka round is reloaded with a 303 British bullet....at .311 diameter.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    TMT Tactical, randyt and ColtFord like this.
  14. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I sporterized my ishapore to make it more handy for me. I had bought a couple back when they were cheap.

I have a 03 springfield story. My father and I were at a gun show, maybe Knoxville, maybe Roanoke, maybe Ashville. Can't remember exactly. Anyhoo my dad walked up to me and showed me a 03 action he found for a hundred bucks. I thought wow,how lucky but he tells me there is another for a hundred bucks so I bought it. At first thought so what but back at his shop he had barrels and stocks. We went to his shop set up the barrel vise, installed a barrel, checked head space and adjusted with a finish reamer. Went to the attic found a stock, proofed a load and was shooting the 03 that afternoon. I still have mine and after my dad passed I ended up with his. These are the proper heat treated actions, not the brittle action.

Back in the late forties my granddad bough a case of surplus 03 barrels. He did a lot of gun work and had a brisk business sporterizing and repairing firearms. The stocks were left overs from restocking jobs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I should have included the word "practical".

In the day, the surplus ammo for the .303 was cheap. Came in original stripper-clips. I used to buy cases of the stuff for range-blasting. I'd clean the bores with a water-soluble cleaner. Today, this ammo is still cheap -- FMJ or soft point. Russia makes it; everybody makes it, Serbia, India, ... . Remington makes a round nose soft point heavy bullet cartridge -- there's your killer. Not as powerful as the 30-06? Who cares?! Moose and elk have fallen to the round ... as has the elephant (though not recommended on the latter).

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-303-british

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/ammunition/rifle/303-british.do

a1fa6e4bc0e6327f767f03414dcfbdad.jpeg

Krag 30-40 ammo you'll pay over $30/box. Or you will reload it.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-3040-krag

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/ammunition/rifle/30-40-krag.do

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    If I did not already have a heap of rifles for survival a Full wood Number 4 SMLE converted to .308W would be my first choice survival rifle.
    With the rear peep sight and a thin front sight one can do body shots to 600yds forget the scope.
    With the solid butt things can get smashed in without damaging the rifle
    And getting a bayonet to fit gives it another dimension altogether
    A truely versatile rifle

watcherchris, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    It's a good thing Grafs had a run of 30-40 krag brass made but Hornady is now making krag brass too, I reload for it. The krag really isn't practical when compared to a SMLE but it would do if that's all a fella had.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    For survival, many are the rifles adequate and beyond. As we all know, it's the person behind the rifle. If you can come by ammo with which to practice and practice, then you'll get to where you need to go, skill-wise.

My mom's dad was literally a mountain man. He was a subsistence hunter up in the mountains of Southern Appalachia. As a young man, all he had was a .32 percussion cap rifle. The land was so steep that fields were usually not much to look at. People foraged to supplement their crop and shot what meat was to occupy the supper table. He did work the occasional lumber mill. He finally moved down into the valley when he got his sweetie pregnant and got laid off at a mill up in some hollar.

"Beware the man with one rifle."

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  19. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've never had to do it but they say 30-40 krag cases can be made from 303 brit.

TMT Tactical likes this.