Shortened Crosscut Saw

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by randyt, Aug 23, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Due to a recent tv show I learned about a shortened crosscut saw. I have a couple one man crosscut saws.

But this guy from Red Devil Alaska came on this show with a shortened felling saw. It looked to be about 3 foot long. The other participants brought silky type saws, which are sharp and cut great from what I have seen.

Anyhoo the guy with the shortened crosscut had put up a good deal of firewood, big rounds.

I have never heard of cutting a crosscut saw down like that. It seems like a good option.

A felling saw is narrower than a bucking saw and is probably better suited to shorten.

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not directly related to your post, but several years ago I started purchasing "Quality" bow saws, and quality blades. It is truly stunning the difference.

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Worked Forestry Service as a teenager. The men used the monster chainsaws. They shoved the old crosscuts to us kids for to drop trees. Praise God that my partner was lean and strong like me. If you have a partner on one of these saws who is lazy and weak, you are fixin' to enter Hell.

The old saws were huge. Get out your files. You'd better have shoulders and bellows for lungs.

I'm gonna get out on the web and try to find one of these short saws. Short saw to me is a pruning saw. Yesterday I had some limb cutting to do. I was already tired and overheated; my shirt was as wet with sweat as if I'd jumped in the lake. I just said screw-it and oiled up Mr. Chainsaw. Brrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Job done.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    poltiregist, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    One man cross cut saws have been around for a long time. They are very nice for bucking firewood. Especially when you can't use a chain saw. Used them in the past for making trails.

Dale

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and randyt like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    My one man saws have two holes, one in the end so the saw can be used by two men and a hole just in front of the d handle so one man can also use a vertical handle there along with the d handle.

The puzzling thing to me is why the guy mentioned in the original post opted to use a two man felling saw cut down to 3 foot rather than a one man saw.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  7. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'd bet somebody got a crosscut bound up in a falling tree and it snapped it in half. Saw it happen once. Making a one man saw out of what's left is a go reuse of a broken tool. Just my guess.

Dale

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.