Should The Focus Be More Skills?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    The future is unpredictable. You might have all the supplies you need to survive a disaster but what if you aren't home and can't get back when shtf? Would you take risks trying to get home and back to your supplies or use your skills to get away and survive?

Still there are some who think supplies are just as important as skills. Question though is which one should one prioritize?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    our stores will NOT last us the rest of our lives, at some point they will run out, then we will all have to survive on what we know and what we can do...........in other words knowledge and skills.

Keith H. and John Snort like this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    as far as food stores are concerned, these are not to replace fresh food, they are to SUPPLEMENT fresh food when 1. you cant get fresh(the weather is bad or its winter) 2. you are waiting for your first harvest or 3. its just plain not safe to go out(the hunker down period). this applies unless you are sitting in a bunker waiting for the nuclear winter to be over in which case your stores are all you have. in which case-good luck.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Both are important, without my equipment & tools I will be forced to live a stone age lifestyle. But skills are very important, more so than gear. You only have to read some of the comments/posts on this forum, some people are incredibly ignorant about many things. City dwellers probably more so than country people, but many in both sectors still have a lot to learn (don't we all!!!). It is like I said to the young lady this morning, ferocerium rods are fine, although you would not want to rely on one for your survival, but if you don't know anything about making fire, it is no good to you. The same can be said about any method or tool.
    So yes, skills in my opinion are a priority, but try & get some good sustainable gear together too.
    Keith.

Lee CT NE, John Snort and lonewolf like this.
  5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith, as usual, you talk a lot of sense, my friend.:D

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well coming from you o wise wolf of the Olde Country that is a compliment indeed! Thank you :)
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I think skills and resources are complementary, you need to be good in every department. It's pointless to have skills if you don't have the resources to survive and it's pointless to have all the resources you need if you don't know how to survive all by yourself. The focus should be on both of them, they are critical.

8. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I suppose skills come before supplies. The fact remains that even with supplies, if you are chicken hearted, you are not likely to survive. Some people have been known to survive for 100 days on a water fast. With mental toughness, one can survive even in drastic situations and this is one aspect of commando training. The will and mental resolve and preparedness to survive through the thin and thick is the most crucial aspect of survival.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    your right about skills trump supplies. however your mental resolve wont do you any good if you haven't the skills to find food.

10. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    Without skills and knowledge; tools and resources are most likely to be useless. If you have a gun, but lack the skill and knowledge to use it..you are back to square one.

Lee CT NE and branchd77 like this.
  11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    The worlds best rifleman without a rifle is just a man!
    A carpenter is not unless he has his tools!
    A cook is nothing without fire!
    An electrician is not without electricity!

Tools and skills are complementary, one is useless without the other!

Lee CT NE likes this.
  12. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    It is not an either-or situation and both matter tremendously. There is also no reason one cannot develop skills all the while stockpiling. To only focus on supplies and equipment is a disaster waiting to happen. But also not having a proper, well thought out, supply storage, tools, and parts is equally foolhardy. For example, I live on rural acreage and we can, and do, produce food, but that doesn't mean we don't keep a very large supply of canned and dried food items. The same holds true for about everything else (e.g., water, energy, weapons, et al.).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  13. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    The more skills you possess, the better off you are. You may need them to survive. You many need them for trade. And gear is very important too. There are countless possibilites that might throw you into a survival situation. So gear is a very broad topic. In one situation you may can use a generator. In another situation a generator may be useless. It would be wise to cover as much ground as possible in the areas of learning skills and collecting gear. This could keep you busy quiet awhile.

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Skills all the way. Three reasons:
    - skills are very useful even without equipment, equipment is usually not very useful if you don't know how to use it properly.
    - you can always find or make equipment. It might not be exactly what you would like to have but it will get the job done. Learning skills takes a long time and might be downright impossible depending on the specific skill and scenario.
    - skills are always with you and you cannot lose them, nor can they be taken away from you.

15. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think you should set a goal to get your supplies. That should be your first mission, this would put your skills to the test. If it's a survival situation your trying to find things that increase your chances for survival anyway why not go for your own supplies. After you get your supplies you should
    try to get help or help someone you can trust.

16. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It would depend on the situation you find yourself in. There are a lot of factors that you must take into account. For example, how far is the location of your supplies? Is the journey of going to it worth it? How sure are you that your supplies haven't already been stolen and ransacked? I think that if the situation is really bad, I would rather use my survival skills to stay alive instead or risking my life trying to go to my supply depot that I'm not even sure is still there.