Should You Also Plan How You'll Fight Boredom?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Some of you guys say there won't be enough time for anyone to get bored question though is should have some plan on how you'll de-stress? Tucking away a board game or learning how to make one can't be that hard, right?

Making a checkerboard is quite easy after all, and the pieces used to play can be made from any material.

Boredom? Is this something preppers should also take into account?

Aerindel, Morgan101 and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    pack of cards or a solitaire set, maybe a monopoly board or a chess set?
    personally I think i'll be far to busy to have time for either boredom or games.

John Snort likes this.
  3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Interesting question. I think boredom could certainly raise its head. But should it be a concern? Probably not. Boredom in a time of catastrophe would be a most welcome reprieve, in my opinion.
    Though I usually loathe the thought of being bored, I think in a disaster scenario I'd want to moment of downtime.

John Snort likes this.
  4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I was just about to start a thread along the same lines as this, keeping morale up must be important. I think maybe I would incorporate training and practice into some sort of competion, points for the best hunter, fisherman etc

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    personally, I don't think there will enough hours in the day to get everything done, even when sitting down I will be repairing and mending stuff, mind you i'm talking about a proper long term situation, not sitting on my duff waiting for a minor power cut to end and the lights to come back on so the masses can go back to watching Eastenders .

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I personally don't thin
    Personally I don't think that there is a need to carry anything extra with you, you can make all you need on site. This in itself should serve the purpose of breaking boredom. Try tomahawk throwing, you should be carrying one with you anyway. Great sport, fun, a good skill to have for defence & hunting if needs be.
    Keith.

[​IMG]

John Snort likes this.
  7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I found it hard to be bored while being outdoors. The scenery is so different that it makes it difficult to have nothing to do. Everything you do at home is entertaining and normalized, so when you're out in the open, it's easy to find new and exciting things to do. Something as simple as foraging could be made into a bit of fun. If you're looking for something fun to do on your downtime, I'd suggest a pack of cards. Cards can give you endless amounts of entertainment, so long as you know more than a few games to play. I'd also suggest conversation. Telling stories with your fellow travelers is one of the best past times in the world. You'd be surprised what the people you know and love have dealt with on their own.

8. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think if a really bad situation arose, I would definitely be to busy trying to survive and helping my family to survive to worry about boredom. But, then again, I would rather pack something just in case. I would probably pack a deck of cards. Who knows, maybe I could even trade them for something valuable if it came to it. It is always better to be safe than sorry!

9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      477/575

Blog Posts:
    When the young gunfighter irritates the old guy, there is just one out come. They bury the young gunfighter. If you have to ask why, you have not lived longer enough to understand gun fights.

Morgan101 likes this.
  10. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    Of course, depending on your prepping/living situation, You might have some down time when not prepping or working, So having something to do would be a really good idea. I usually always have a book on me, maybe having a deck of cards, or board game with you could help pass the time.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    In concept I think it is a good idea. Yes, you should have something that will be a distraction, stress relief, whatever. In practice IMHO there won't be much downtime. Your entire day will be consumed by whatever scenario has befallen us.

Maybe some of the members who are living a more off-the-grid, self-sustaining life style can weigh in. Sourdough, Grizzlyette Adams, are you guys ever bored?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I seriously doubt post collapse any of us will have time to be bored, our days will be full and I do mean FULL!!!

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  13. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, Lonewolf. I should have included you in my earlier thread. You live a pretty much self-sustaining life style. Are you ever bored? I am thinking that routine chores will consume most of the day. Watching the episodes of Tales from the Green Valley I didn't see a lot of downtime, and there were five of them; all experts. Most of us would be rank amateurs by comparison.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live the same sort of lifestyle as most on this forum now but I have lived off grid in the past, very much self supporting and I didn't have any downtime then.
    Tales from the green valley is how I see all survivors living post collapse.

15. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Perfect!! I rest my case. You didn't have any downtime, and that was when things were normal. We can only imagine that things will be far worse in an SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation. There won't be any downtime, so we don't have to plan for it ( but stashing a deck of cards wouldn't hurt. ).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that I will use any downtime for sleeping. Already too much to do, so much more so if TEOTWAWKI.

17. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the circumstances, have some plans on hardening the home and property that will keep me busy for awhile. Boarding up windows, barring doors, repositioning some fire wood, unloading and readying some gear kept in 'deep storage', and some other activities that we only discuss with close friends around the camp fire :) We'll have power (solar), or if we don't for some reason then I'll be repairing that first, so likely be listening to the scanner and shortwave radios (or the recordings of what they captured when I wasn't there listening) a lot. Don't really foresee us being bored for the first month or so anyway, after that then the books, cards, dice, and DVDs will be nice to have.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      332/345

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

My completely different view.....

Create "down time" or periods to mentally rest up. Doing work has cumulative events building up. This is one of the causes of "PTSD".

The psychological health literature suggests to take periodic breaks from your projects.

Some of the best literature is produced by SAMHSA, a sub-agency of HHS. I've put some of their products on the forum (I believe). One document was titled "Disaster Fatigue". Another was "Compassion Fatigue".

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Pragmatist

332/345

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon all,

An addendum to above:

https://www.samhsa.gov/disaster-preparedness

Ref this link, surf around it for familiarization. At the top black bar the last entry is "Publications". Glance at this section and look for "Disaster Kit" "SMA 11- DISASTER".

Even if a pub is themed for a responder, the material can be just as good for others.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      180/230

Blog Posts:
    I think at first you would be too occupied with survival to worry about boredom.
    Maybe after you've established a safe base and things settled ( 2 or more years later) would luxuries be something that would be useful.
    But I would suggest if you insist on something a deck of non laminated cards would be best it's small, light weight, anyone can use them and they could be used too light a fire.
    But it seems too me that could be space used for more bandages, meds, little extra food or many other options.
    But everyone has there own idea of survival.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Aerindel

Aerindel Well-Known Member
      72/115

Blog Posts:
    Having a safe base established for many years now, and planing on bugging in, yes, I am very much worried about boredom as when I get bored, I tend to do stupid things.

And I think I will have a lot of spare time to fill. A lot more than I have now. The best thing I could do when SHTF is bug in, go to silent running, and sit in my guard tower for a year waiting for things to die down.

I doubt this is what I will actually do. ;)

But I have a lot of books, movies, games, etc to keep me occupied and hopefully not getting myself killed looking for trouble.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    The good thing about getting old ---- the body won't allow you to go looking for trouble. The bad thing about getting old --- the body won't help you get out of trouble.

elkhound likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the thing about getting older is you become more cautious and you don't go looking for trouble as a younger self might have been more reckless and taken chances.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    In a full out grid down, shtf there will be loads to do but people will need some sort of distraction at least occasionally. And that might be in the form of something useful but that diverts the mind. Maye it's fishing, or reading something from your library or gardening or trying to understand a issue in the garden, or maybe it's knitting or crocheting something like a blanket for winter, or maybe it's journaling, or teaching something to a child or spouse.

I've mentioned it before, if a person is running 24hrs a day, switched on into high stress mode, they'll burn out. Now depending on the person maybe its a week or 2, for someone else maybe it's 12 or 18 months. but if a person is running full out stressed at some point their going to snap or drop over from a heart attack.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we're talking about boredom and you talking a full stress situation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. poltiregist

poltiregist Master Survivalist
      347/460

Blog Posts:
    A troop of dancing girls always worked for us guys in NAM .

TMT Tactical and CountryGuy like this.
  27. Aerindel

Aerindel Well-Known Member
      72/115

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like an expensive prep.

28. Pragmatist

332/345

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Poltiregist,

Yes, indeed, and I have the color slides to prove it. At the Cu Chi USO Christmas show, Dec '67, got some pictures of Raquel Welch.

I vividly remember this also because early this AM, when I was rambling about large 2 ft x 2 ft Hefty bags next to my ICS blank forms, I want to check the exact size of the product. I used to keep the extra bags in a box in my bin of RVN slides but I moved them and forgot where.

After part of the show, back out to the thorns but show did wonders for mental health.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  29. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I had planned on the dancing girls --- until I got too old to dance with the girls. :( I don't do stress, momentary excitement :eek: maybe but never stress. :cool:

poltiregist likes this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have put a lot of thought and preparation into covering this. the fact is that you are going to have a lot of time on your hands especially at first. Most of the "work" that people do is to pay for things. When all you need is food for you and your family you have no need for a huge farming effort. When winter comes you will either stay in and try to stay dry or you will likely die. Remember, no doctors with magic pills. My Grandfather died from pneumonia that he contracted from refereeing a football game in the rain. Even in the summer, you don't always want to be out in the rain. If you stuff several people into a small building for several days you had better have some sort of plan to keep them entertained. remember, no TV, no Music unless you make it, no cell phones to distract you and no computer.

People in the Northern places are going to have LONG winter nights that last a lot longer than they can sleep. What do you Alaskiansdo in the dead of winter when the night lasts for a month?? Imagine no electronic distractions and only limited lighting.

Entertainment doesn't have to be frivolous. I do all sorts of crafts and work with wood, leather and do some braiding stuff. I know how to quilt and used to know how to make rag rugs. My daughter is a knitter, sewing and crochet fiend. You also can use this time to just sit and tell stories while you mend things but if you allow boredom to get under your skin it can be bad. Cabin Fever is REAL. There are some real horror stories about people crowded in during winter storms in the old days.

Mental health is every bit as important as physical health. If either fails you die. They all work and no play makes you a dull boy is another old saying that has its roots in the truth of the past. Even in a prison, they have figured out that if you don't allow some time and places or materials for relaxation that people get mean as hell and don't feel like they have anything to lose.

I have thousands of books both fiction and nonfiction. cards, dominos, dice, chess and checkers, Parcheesi, scrabble... and books of rules for just about all known games. I have the tools and materials for all sorts of crafts and books to teach you how to do them. In the yard, I have horseshoes and cornhole toss games and even a yard version of Yahtzee.

To each their own. I plan on doing more than just surviving. I'm going to live and thrive.

31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The extreme luxury of boredom is a thing that I've never even contemplated having. Death, mayhem, financial struggle, taking care of the crippled young people, paying for the funeral of your kid, base ignorant bosses, government ignorance & aggression, layoffs, job searching, more funerals, hospitalizations / surgeries, ..., on and on.

I imagine Heaven as a place to be bored, or also to be able to go about in slow motion doing good things for people whose lives on Earth were spent being shat upon by their "betters". We could in Heaven all sit around and commiserate with each other. Maybe we'll get bored trying to top each others stories about what hell life was.

I long to be bored.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    I think people need to develop skills and hobbies related to their current and possible future environment. Knitting and crochet is great unless there is no yearn available. Plan your hobbies and distraction (mental relief) that is related to your situation. Chess by yourself is not much fun. I use firearms as my distraction. Shooting is fun but I enjoy the challenge of taking a cheap rifle and turning it into a tack driver --- on the cheap of course. My 6.5 Creedmoor has shot sub-MOA groups. It now has a reinforced bedded stock. Free floated barrel. 1.5 pound (approximately -- manual pull gauge) trigger pull. All the modification I have performed. Fun and mind freeing. For the darkest days / nights of winter it will be precision reloading. Very time consuming but financially rewarding as well as personally satisfying. TV, internet (web will be the hardest loss -- due to lost information) modern gadgets will not be missed. I will be busy from the time I get up to the time I go to sleep. Just practice wind reading can take a lot of time. Distance estimation can be another art to learn. A million things to learn and most will not cost a penny, just your attention and some time.