New Member Sign Me Up

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Jim B, Apr 18, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jim B

Jim B Member
      21/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello Survival Enthusiasts,

My name is Jim and have for a while been intrigued with the skills and way of life that makes people survivors.
    After reading several great posts in a few areas of the forums, I believe this might be a good place to get more involved in preparing for potentially uncontrollable events that would change life as it is seen today.

I can't say that being a prepper is something I've ever done intentionally, rather something I was raised to be.
    I'm 58 years old and life is very much different today than when I was young. My parents and their parents definitely looked at surviving as just a common skill or maybe a way of life. Fortunately some of those skills were passed on to me and my siblings.

Growing up in West Michigan and spending much of my time in Northwestern Michigan at my Grandparents farm taught me many things that I would not have learned living a city life. Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of the big city and you can have it. Not for me!

I love to Fish, Hunt, Garden, Work with tools on anything and believe that your never too old to learn. I was also taught to work hard for what you want but always use your head before just diving in.

I look forward to reading your posts, learning what I can from them and probably adding what I can to the forum. Maybe even making some new freinds in the process.

Happy Prepping All :)

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum Jim, sounds like you have your head screwed on the right way. Good to have you onboard.
    Keith.

Jim B likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the group. Survival or prepping isn't the weird stuff you see on TV most of the time. It is really more about thinking ahead and preparing yourself to deal with whatever happens. If nothing happens it is still a very satisfying lifestyle with very few downsides. For people that already like the outdoors things it is mostly adding a slightly different point of view to things that you already like doing.

In your gardening for example you might add some of the older heritage plants that you can harvest seed from and use to plant next year. Too many of the best growing garden plants are hybrid and their seeds are not viable.

Lots of little things add up to a much better life if things ever go down the tubes.

Jim B likes this.
  4. Jim B

Jim B Member
      21/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Dan, Couple things here?
    Do you know of any drought resistant variety of tomatoes that will flourish in my region (Michigan-Lower Peninsula) by chance or any sites that can provide that information.
    Also does the forums have any info on greenhouse or any ideas on producing water in unique ways?

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that drought resistant tomatoes is sort of an impossibility; they are mostly water and if they don't get it they don't set fruit and grow. However where I live in East Texas our summers are often long very hot and dry. In my experience the smaller varieties seem to suffer less from sporadic watering than the larger tomatoes. I love what is called sweet 100s. It is a grape sized tomato that grows in bunches. When it is dry the production drops off but after a rain or good watering it will put on a lot of fruit.

6. Jim B

Jim B Member
      21/29

Blog Posts:
    I will check it out on the 100's. Thanks Dan