Silent threats for a survivalist: Boredom and loneliness?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Endure, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Loneliness and tedium gradually reach once a bloke, after finish any immediate tasks, sits still and his/her mind begins to wander and play tricks. Probably increasing depression, and thus, decreasing the will to survive. These threats could be defeated by the same way fear and panic are defeated: keeping the mind busy. There are always some task to do in order to increase the chances of being rescued (prepare bonfires, signals ...) or simply to be more comfortable (build a shelter ...). Analyse what hazards or emergencies that we may stumble across and prepare plans to address them will make us a bit less restless. It is a good idea to develop a program of activities that we impose discipline the body and mind, also writing a journal is a neat idea. Days are pretty long when you don't have anything else to do and you lost the notion of time, but the will for survival is stronger in anyone committed to overcome adversities.

Do you time that sitting idle could be very dangerous? Is easier to drive away despair than some big predator?

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Boredom will be a fleeting thing!
    Without all the mod cons time will be consumed with tedious things!
    You spend a few seconds now pushing a button to flush the toilet, after you might spend an average of a whole hour per day on toilet duties!
    Flicking a light switch now at .3 of a second will change to about a minute lighting a candle/lantern etc!
    Filling the sink with water now about a minute! then it might include a ten minute walk with a bucket!

Most everything done the old way involves more time and or effort than now!
    Most of every day will be consumed with daily chores, there will be little time to get bored!

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The only time I get bored or feeling lonely is when I am crook. When I am fit & well there is simply too much work to be done to think about anything else. This is the way it is I should imagine for most people who live in the bush. If I don't feel like working, I have a choice of watching my movie collection, reading, writing (going on the net at this present time), or simply having a lie down & resting.
    Keith.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we wont have time to get bored post SHTF we will be too busy.
    the only time I have negative feelings is when I am near the general public, and I try to keep those occasions to a minimum.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I do not believe we will be bored. There will be so many things to do. There is actually a saying-"Necessity is the mother of invention"-that when you hardly have anything that you automatically become creative and start inventing things. The same applies in such a survival mode you are thinking non-stop, working on plans and implementing those plans. There will be no time to be bored. Plus, in case you do feel bored then why not try to explore your area more and check out good hiding places or check if there are signs that the weather will drastically change or not.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    One person on their own be to busy to be bored fire food and shelter water and watch they moren likely regret not haveing help

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its people that will be the cause of problems post apocalypse Tom, hard work never hurts anyone.

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I think you will be ok lonewolf i like your post your prepared and ready me and mine stand a good chance of holding here keith will be allright him and i fight over his smoke pole is all lol hell if he came here id give him one of my extras then he would be better buthe has a great setup. If we keep posting good info more will be prepared and have a better chance

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you there Tom.:D
    i'm not exactly on my own, my wife is a born and bred countrywoman, herdswoman and herbalist.

10. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Some people are suited to being on their own, others not so much. I think I'd probably go mad eventually so I would be trying to avoid being alone in a survival situation anyway. However I do agree that you'd be so busy you could probably keep yourself going for a while.

11. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Id be lost without karen beside me she my rock

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd be okay, i'm a loner anyway, I've spent so much time alone "man and boy" that it comes as second nature to me.

13. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I am a default introvert and would have no major problems arising from boredom and loneliness. That doesn't mean that I don't treasure company. I would take advantage of the long periods of loneliness and boredom to pray and fast which is a major aspect of my Christian faith. I would also take advantage of the time to surf the internet.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Loneliness is definitely a psychological enemy when you are in a desperate situation after an event. Your mind is your greatest ally, or your toughest foe, because without it, you wouldn't be able to rationally plan what's next, and you would end up just being fueled by your baser instincts to survive. Humans have lived this long for generations because of our higher thinking. We find a way to fix problems that lower animals couldn't, and it's because of our brains. Depression would lead you down a narrow path, and you might even lose your sanity altogether when this happens. So it's always important to exercise your mind and don't panic in these situations.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I grew up as an "only" child so boredom and lonliness don't really figure in my thinking, i'm used to being alone.
    but from what I see when I go into town, I cant say the same about others, many people seem to have a "need" to be around others.
    I keep hearing the saying "no man is an island" and that "humans are social animals", what I say to that is that yes many people seem to be like that, but I ,and others like me, tend to be the exception, i'd quite happily live without ever seeing another human for the rest of my life, but that's just how I am.
    I cant say the same for the majority of the population, I wonder how many will go nuts with the silence and no one else about??

16. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I suppose that since post-apocalypse everyone will be working very hard, you'll be so tired at the end of the day that what will be on your mind will be getting some sleep. The next morning you'll have more work to do the whole day and in the evening . . .

In any case any free time you have can be spent sharpening your knives or axes, making fish nets, making traps, etc.

lonewolf likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, that is what I think too, well said.

18. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Lonliness is OK I'm good equally spend most my time alone most the time I don't think we will have time to be lonely there will be too much work and that's when ya fully prepped too still got the daily crap to do and that's just to get by if ya have more than one of ya then works easier obviously

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    lonewolf likes this.
  19. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's dangerous at all, it's just that there are people out there who are going to tell themselves that being alone is a problem, and that they should not be bored, or suffer from loneliness, therefore creating a mental problem for themselves.

I hate that some people put themselves threw this, I could life on an island all by myself for 2 years and not suffer from psychological problems because I'm in control of how I want my brain to be in situations like that.

20. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think this depends on how prepared you already are. If you have a solid routine, that doesn't too much time to do, it's easy to get free time on your hands. I think you want to try and minimize your free time, that way you won't be bored. I'm not sure there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done, but you could try doing things you haven't. I'm not sure there's something that always needs doing, but there's probably something you always can do.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think there is a huge gulf between boredom and lonliness. if your bored, find something to do.

22. Nedbushcrafter

Nedbushcrafter Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Well being prepped is having done in advance so minimise the free time ya can always get the following months logs in

23. GrecianShamrock

GrecianShamrock New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it is better to be bored than lonely. I would slowly lose my mind if I was alone and unable to create the list of things that need to be done in order to survive (as well as go through a tidal wave of emotions)

24. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I think people can defeat loneliness if they focus on making the best of the situation. Life is pretty jacked up in general. You don't know if your going to have a job next month. Teachers are in the same fear. In the end, focus on making the situation better.

25. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to live with that but you won't die being bored or lonely. You jusy have to make every single minute worth it since you are not doing anything. Try to do something else.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have just done a green woodworking course, this is what people did in the old days, in the evenings and in the winters, they made spoons, bowls, repaired tool handles and such like, they didn't get bored they did something.

27. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I am a voracious reader and researcher into the spiritual realm from a Christian respective and I am almost always on the internet during my spare time, there is always something new to learn from the myriad of websites. I am now am authority in this area. I also read kindred books. I am now reading one about fasting.