Simple Meal Recipes.

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Keith H., Jan 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    17thc.-18thc. FOOD.

Cymro Faggot.

Faggots are made of meat fragments left over after pig slaughter, wrapped in membrane that covers the pig's abdominal organs, and shaped like sausages.

Welsh (Cymro) Rabbit.

Grated cheese mixed with ale or wine and mustard. Spread on toast and heat until browning.

English Cake Bread.

Take one Gallon of flowre, two pound of Currans, and one pound of butter or better, a quarter of a pound of sugar, a quarter of a pint of Rose-water, halfe an ounce of nutmeg, & half an ounce of Cinnamon, two egs, then warm cream, break the butter into the flower, temper all these with the creame, and put a quantity of yest amongst it, above a pint to three gallons, wet it very lide, cover your Cake, with a sheet doubled, when it comes hot out of the Oven; let it stand one hour and a half in the Oven.

Archimagirus Anglo-Gallicus; Or, Excellent & Approved Receipts and Experiments in Cookery, 1658.

To make an Oatmeal-pudding.

Take a pint of Milk, and put to it a pint of large, or midling Oatmeal, let it stand on the Fire till it be scalding hot, then let it stand by, and soak about half an hour, then pick a few sweet Herbs, and shred them, and put in half a pound of Currans, and half a pound of Suet, and about two spoonfuls of Sugar, and three or four Eggs; these put into a bag, and boyled, do make a very good Pudding.

The Accomplish'd Lady's Delight In Preserving, Physick, Beautifying, and Cookery, 1675

To make an Oatmeal Pudding boyled.

Take the biggest Oatmeal, mince what herbs you like best and mix with it, season it with Pepper and Salt; tye it strait in a bag; and when it is boyled, butter it and send it up.

The whole Body of Cookery Dissected, 1661

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. july

july Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Is there any more simple recipes to make?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Heaps I would imagine july, as someone who wants to post on food, have you anything to share?

Curried lentils, egg on baked beans on toast, toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches, plain boiled oats, boiled rice & sultanas, bread cakes cooked on a hot rock, roasted meat next to a camp fire, nuts, sultanas & sunflower seeds as a trail food, plain dried meat, sausage & bread, bread & cheese, popcorn, boiled or steamed nettles with rabbit or lizard or other small game.
    Always carry some foods that do not require cooking.
    Keith.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Josh_Justsaihi

Josh_Justsaihi New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    How about 3 very simple Pasta recipes

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Josh_Justsaihi

Josh_Justsaihi New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Very Simple pancakes :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Corn Beef & Cabbage; Black eyed peas & Stewed tomatoes; (Any) Beans & (Any) Greens; Biscuits & eggs with sausage gravy; hotdogs & mac&cheese & bake beans; spaghetti & meat sauce; tuna fish & rice casserole with peas; pizza; Meat & cheese sandwich with chips; chili & corn bread.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hobo Dinner... A piece of meat, we usually use ground meat, a big slice of onion, slices of potato and some carrots. salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Wrap it in foil and pop it in the oven or on the coals of a campfire.

Smothered Something...a piece of meat, any kind I have done every kind there is and all worked great. Cover it with onions, cover the onions with potaposthen cover those with carrots and fresh green beans. Add water until it is nearly covering things and then bring it to a LOW boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer and just let it cook. As long as you keep the water level at about half the height of the food it will just keep getting better and better. You can cook this on the stove in a pot, in a crock pot, in an electric skillet or over a camp fire. You don't need to buy a tender cut of meat for this. The Meat cookd like this for several hours will melt in your mouth.

Blitz, Sonofliberty, coffee and 2 others like this.
    1. Blitz
      I'm going to have a go at your Hobo dinner suggestion tonight with whatever I can find in the fridge. Sounds like a great suggestion.

Blitz, Apr 6, 2020
  8. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm...Hobo dinner sounds wonderful. I would also add celery. I could pressure can these, as I have and do almost everything known to man. And I could pre- cook some, wrap them, freeze them, use for camping, or whatever. Spunds yummy. Thanks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Let your imagination go, I bet mushrooms, yellow squash, and fresh green beans would be good tossed in. My Mama made these pretty often when I was a kid when she business outside of the home and didn't have a lot of time to cook. She would serve it with a little dish with a lettuce leaf with a slice of pineapple with cottage cheese and then a cherry on top of the cottage cheese. She was big on presentation and since the Hobo dinner wasn't very colorful she had this on the side.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    While all of these recipes sound wonderful, except the lentils. Sorry, Keith. Lentils won't even stay down. Not my cup of tea. None of them sound very simple to me. This is simple.

Slice a bagel in half the long way, so you have two complete circles. Spread peanut butter on both halves. Place apple slices on top of the peanut butter. Smother both halves with honey. Eat it with a knife and fork or put the halves together and make a sandwich.

This is another good recipe for trail mix bars that only requires five ingredients and a little heating: Oatmeal, Honey, Coconut, Raisins, Peanut Butter:

These are my idea of simple.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I made a very simple fried rice for dinner last night. Quick, easy and great for using up veggies before they go off.

Morgan101 likes this.
  12. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    WE used to call that boy scout dinner, hamburger, canned corn, potatoes , carrots . onions all cut up and mixed up .
    all wrapped in tin foil. the you put on a low fire for about 15 minutes then turn for another ten minutes .

Morgan101 and Blitz like this.