Simplistic Survival

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Dave3006, Jan 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Dave3006

Dave3006 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is a story about a simple way that I survived 2 days in the woods. I do carry a fanny pack so everything is not in my pockets.

I was deer hunting with my Dad and Brother. Parked the truck and went our separate ways. It was at least an hour before dawn. As I walked out my known trail, I found that my old faithful tree had fell down. That threw me in a slight way. The way was so slight that I walked down the wrong point into a different hollow (or holler as we WVians say). I stayed in one spot until right before dusk. When I started moving back, I realized that the terrain and woods were not familiar. It was getting dark really fast.

It was about 45 degrees F and supposed to drop down into the high 30s. I put on my headlamp and started to continue. I decided that it would be best to wait until morning since I didn't want to step in a hole, roll on a limp, etc., and hurt myself. I didn't not break out my fire kit. I had food to eat, water to drink, and very good waterproof clothing. I did see a huge log laying down. I checked it out. It was laying so it would not roll. I went to one of the branches that still had some covering on it. I pulled the limbs together and tied some together which was not a good roof, but a roof none the less.

I pulled out the old leaves under the leaves to check the round. Then I put the leaves back for a very light ground cloth. I then pulled more leaves and small branches over to where I was going to lay. My small piece of tarp was enough to keep me from being on the ground. I set down on it and started covering my legs with more leaves. I laid back until I had scraped up enough leaves to cover up to my hood. Laid my head on my fanny pack and went to sleep.

Next morning I woke up to realize that I still didn't know where I was. However, I knew that if I walked up the mountain, I would find the trail and head for the truck.

Side note: My Dad was worried. My brother told him that I probably had a deer and was dragging it in. My Dad blew the horn, which I could not here. Dad was really worried. My brother told him that there were 3 options: I had a deer dragging it in, I was lost, or I had fell, broke my neck and was dead. We have a weird since of humor. The next morning I was not back, but they went on deer hunting.

I was really messed up in my directions. This time, I did not have my compass. But I did have a topo of the area. When I realized how far out that I moved, I started walking the right way. I had some peanut butter crackers and trail mix which kept up some energy. I always carry about a litter or more of water. I moved slow so not to get hurt or sweaty. Before dark this time, I did stop to make a shelter for the night. This time I started a fire (vaseline cotton balls and a ferro rod) Of course, I had cleared out and area for the fire. I bent down some saplings and lashed them together with my cordage. Another make shift roof. I thought they might see the smoke before it got dark or maybe a small chance, very small, of seeing the fire. That didn't happened.

I put out the fire since a lot of my insulation was leaves. I did as the night before. I woke up in the morning, actually feeling refreshed. I looked at my top and headed in the direction of the truck. By noon, I had made it back to the truck and my Dad and brother were coming in to eat lunch. I heard my brother say to Dad to watch for turkey vultures. lol I walked in and we were all happy to see each other.

The topo had really saved me (and me knowing how to use it). I used to do a lot of orienteering. My brother had packed some extra food and we ate. We went back out deer hunting and this time, I walked the way that I usually walked (I could see because it was daylight). I found my old friend, the big tree that had fallen and now knew which way to go. I went to the spot I had gone quite a bit. Right before dark, I shot an 8 point buck (Eastern count). I walked back to the truck to get my brother's help. Dad was back an hour before dusk. My brother and I went to get the deer and we went back to our camp. Dad was really relieved.

There were plenty of things that I could have done different. But I thought what I dd would suffice, and since I'm writing this, I made it through. One more day and I would have set up a couple of snares. There were squirrels everywhere. I would have needed the protein. There were also lots of berries which I usually picked some as I was walking.

In different circumstances, what I did could be terribly wrong. Not panicking and having a forecast of the weather kept my mind cool and everything came out alright.

Side note: I now have a watch (very expensive) that never needs a battery, sunlight or florescent bulbs will charge it. It also bounces off a satellite for Greenwich time, is a compass (very correct), a barometer, and a system to tell the weather for a couple of days. Great purchase. I also carry my Brunton compass, too. Oh, and an altimeter.

Weedygarden and Kent like this.