situational awareness.

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by lonewolf, Jan 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    situational awareness is the art of knowing what is going on around you when walking or travelling, and is equally relevant in both urban and rural settings.
    too many people are not aware of their surroundings, its head down glued to their mobile phone-click,click,click.
    runners/joggers are just as bad, nearly all have headphones in their ears and they cannot hear vehicles or people coming up behind them.
    if you take note of what is happening around you, if something occurs or is about to occur( muggers, street robberies, pedestrian crossing, street light-edge of the curb!) you can take avoiding action, but only if you practice "situational awareness".

Lee CT NE and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    This morning a idiot chasing pookemon ran straight into the bullbar on the front of my cruiser on the road, I stopped just in time but it still put them on there arse!

coffee and Lee CT NE like this.
  3. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Each of us needs to remain aware of our surroundings. Observation is a vital skill to surviving under any conditions. Here are a few drills that will help you to sharpen your situational awareness skills.

1. Find and visualize every exit wherever you are.

2. People watch that is look for a person(s) exhibiting unusual behavior(s).

3. Keep track of any vehicles that remain behind you after you make a turn or follow for a long distance.

4. Practice memorizing license plate numbers.

5. Watch for folks who remain in their car(s) in parking areas.

6. Watch for a person(s) who seem to be following you as you walk in malls, stores, etc.

Most important of all – do NOT become distracted and walk like a victor, not a victim. I’m just saying…

lonewolf likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I afraid these days most of the people aka sheeple haven't a clue what is going on around them, they are too busy with their mobile devices, that's why muggings and other street robberies are so prolific in our large cities.

Lee CT NE and Old Geezer like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Man oh man, this phenom royally freaks me out. Eyes superglued to iPhones. I'm no science fiction fan, but let me borrow a phrase: These folk have been assimilated into something as evil as the Borg. Zombies are party-animals compared to these catatonics. At crosswalks I've come WAY too close to squishing these things. Y'know what, I wonder if they'd even know if they were being robbed. I'm from an era wherein humans engaged in human activities with other humans -- people even looked around to scope out their environment. This iPhone morphine is a mental/social disorder.

lonewolf and Lee CT NE like this.
  6. woodchipper518

woodchipper518 Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    I currently work in a light industrial area with transients and short-term stay 'budget' hotels. Safe enough by day but at night it is most definitely not safe. I'm leaving this job and training a new girl. I tried to explain the concept of situational awareness to her so she could be safer at night when she leaves all alone. She was very dismissive, 'You're crazy', 'You're paranoid', etc. The reality for her is that she is female and African American and statistically a target for the night crawlers. She has seen my 'routine' at night minimizing my exposure from building to car. She knows I carry a knife at the ready (I cannot concealed carry at work)....but...;) She knows the cameras are not active. She knows the lighting is only half turned on. I have pointed out all the dark corners she needs to be wary of. And yet she continues to park next to a brick structure holding the large trash bins. She also knows that I have reported 3 nightcrawlers ( all men) dumpster-diving to Dallas PD and that DPD NEVER showed up. Before she leaves at night, she smokes a cigarette outside her car because she won't smoke in her car. Smoking killso_O...Sheeple is she.

Lee CT NE likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    dosent sound like she is safe NOW never mind post event.

Lee CT NE likes this.
  8. jim brown

jim brown Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This is sad just sit in a parking lot and watch. People and their dam phones nobody looks around anymore just walk and text on the phone. In todays age people are easy targets .

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't understand it but women these days seem to feel that as long as they keep a phone stuck to the side of their head that they are safe. They have no awareness at all about anything. I see them all over the road with their phone stuck on their head. Walking into people or into the streets totally unaware of anything that isn't coming from their phone. They won't even put them down when they need to unload their groceries at the check out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will no longer get out of the way for someone walking and using their phone. If they walk into me and drop their phone, Oh well.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people these days don't make eye contact anymore, not so bad here in the countryside where everyone knows you and says hello, but go to a larger town or city and you'll see what I mean. I don't know if its because they are all afraid or just plain ignorant.

TMT Tactical and coffee like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Being hearing impaired (okay, almost deaf, you happy now--- wife laughing at me) I do make eye contact. I have to try and read people lips as they talk. I also do not like crowds( more that 2 people) so my head is up and on a swivel. People walk with the heads down and eye averted or stuck on their darn cell phones.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like crowds either, 2 people at a time is about my limit, solitude is my watchword.
    I don't have anything in common with the man or woman in the street, the way they act I think they are a different species to myself.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Re: "Situational awareness"

The situation is that for urban dwellers, the sh## is currently hitting the fan.

In major cities across the planet urban gangs are taking over the streets. It is not a matter of when the situation is no longer safe in the cities, it is a matter of this having already occurred.

U.S.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/july-fourth-2021-violence

Nearly 100 people were shot across the country during the holiday weekend

A large brawl between as many as 50 adolescents in Atlanta resulted at least one death. Police sought footage of the fight to find leads on the cause of the fight and the death.

A 14-year-old boy died, and police arrested a 17-year-old in possession of two guns, Fox 5 Atlanta reported.

Haiti
    https://www.wlrn.org/news/2021-06-1...ving-thousands-of-women-and-children-homeless

Sweden

GOTHENBURG, Sweden, July 1 (Reuters) - Swedish caretaker Prime Minister Stefan Lofven expressed outrage on Thursday over the killing of an on-duty police officer, a rarity in the Nordic country, calling it an "attack on our open society" amid growing concerns over gang violence.

The police officer in his 30s was shot and killed late on Wednesday while on duty in Biskopsgarden, a Gothenburg suburb that has been plagued by gang violence in recent years and where police have had an increased presence.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...fficer-gang-violence-worries-grow-2021-07-01/

Gang violence has been in the spotlight after shootings and explosives attacks that have sometimes killed bystanders, and has become a political battleground, with left and right each seeking to claim the tougher line.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived in a city for 40 years, believe me when I say I know all about situational awareness!!

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder what will happen when enough stores in SF have closed, will the "Shop Lifters" move out into other cities or will they keep hitting the same stores over and over again, until all the stores have closed down.

18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://twitter.com/CPD1617Scanner/status/1411848555522834435

https://dailycaller.com/2021/07/06/...rks-injuries-police-officer-crime-stats-data/

"Chicago police arrested 61 people Sunday night after the group took over the street, danced on cop cars and set off fireworks, among other raucous behavior, according to multiple reports.

"More than 100 people took to the streets and sidewalks in the Chicago area known as the Loop late Sunday, according to Fox 32.

"A police spokesman confirmed to the local outlet that 61 people were arrested, with most being young adults, along with some minors. Charges ranged from battery, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to the report."

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/6...ople-swarm-downtown-chicago-cause-disturbance

upload_2021-7-6_22-33-13.png

upload_2021-7-6_22-35-3.png

“'Sunday night was a disaster,' Ald. Brian Hopkins told CBS Chicago. 'We had massive chaos and mayhem downtown. We had guns in backpacks. Guns in pockets. A large number of firearms present.'

"Police Superintendent David Brown and Hopkins said a number of arrests involved teens with guns."

TMT Tactical likes this.