Sleeping In A Sisal Sack

Discussion in 'Primitive Shelter' started by remnant, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    A sisal sack can be used in a survival situation if you have nothing to cover yourself with. Its quite warm and tough, even an animal would find it hard to maul you when you are inside it. You can use two, one to cover your head and the other for the other half. It can't suffocate as it has breathing spaces. The down side is that its not waterproof but its quite convenient when it is not raining.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    sisal sacks over here are quite small, you'd be better using a refuse bag.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry a couple of 55 gallon bags in my hiking kit for those "SURPRISE" adventures that you didn't plan on. In general I prefer a bedroll with a net included to a sleeping bag. We just don't have the very cold weather that lots of places do. We go years without having a day when the temperature doesn't get to 40. If the night is freezing cold I will stay awake and tend a fire then sleep the next day. That is one of the things that I have noted on a lot of these "survival shows is that people try to live the kind of life that they have in a "powered" society in a primitive situation. That isn't always the best plan.

If it is cold at night then tend the fire catnap and sleep when it is warmer. If the bugs are eating you alive at night tend a smokey fire and then sleep in the afternoon. This sort of thing is very common in primitive societies. They were much less tied to a clock and there being a right time to sleep versus a wrong time to sleep.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if there is a good way to make ripstop nylon water proof? Or maybe a nylon bag you could put on over the plastic bags. I like the bags because you can fold a couple of them and carry them in your hip pocket not much bigger than a bandanna. The smaller you can make something the more likely you are to have it with you every time you go out. There are some bags out there now called Flex sacks that are tougher than regular bags. They are sort of rip stop.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if your in a place that its so cold you'd freeze without a fire then your going to have to take your chances and have one, there is a chance others MIGHT see it against the knowledge that you WILL freeze without it.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You know, actually a fire doesn't have to be all that visible if you are only using it to stay warm. You dig a small hole build a small fire and then basically squat or kneel over it with a poncho helping hold the heat in and next to the body. This is an old Native American trick and does work well. Another version is to dig into an embankment and then down from the top. Your fire is totally enclosed and you can feed it from either the top or the side. Even a candle can be pretty warming if it is basically under your covers with you.

I personally am not too worried about this. 99% of the urban idiots that will come flooding out of the cities are scared of the woods and sound like a herd of 5 year olds when they are moving whether it is daylight or dark. Where I live though you don't usually need a fire to sleep. If I'm alone I will bury up in a debris pile and sleep warm and basically invisible. The summer months are actually more of a challenge because of the biting bugs.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    As i was not sure of term i googeled it burllap is poor choice for sleeping gear or shelter too many better out there

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It could work but I'm with you, there are better choices. The way it could work is you get in and then stuff it full of leaves and such for insulation' In Korea they stuffed paper in their little coats and were actually warmer than we were. The Russians did the same thing when they were fighting the Germans on the ice in WW2. It also happened to Napoleon when he made a run at the Russians. This is another case where money and expensive clothing doesn't always provide the very best in the way of insulation. Experience is often the best that you can have.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any fool can survive in the warm summer months over here, but come the wet and cold winter months they will die in their thousands. you cant step 5 feet off the path around here in the winter without being up to your knees in cold muddy water. and your certainly not going to be able to pitch a tent on it.