Sleeping With Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by m33kuh, Jul 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I can't seem to sleep when there are fairly a number of mosquitoes. And sometimes even if you are covered they will still annoy you specially on your ears humming 5000hz.

How do you deal with mosquitoes specially if you are in an open tent/shelter?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Whenever we go on a nature trip, I never leave home without the Off lotion. It is very effective as an insect repellent. It cannot be helped with the presence of mosquitoes when you are in the forest or mountain resort with the tent for shelter. Even if there is a camp fire, mosquitoes still have a way of pestering you. At least the Off lotion turns off the appetite of the mosquitoes.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    For outdoors, you can always bring electric lamp zappers for a more passive mosquito killer. Just place it in the entrance and let the magic happen. As someone who has been the target of mosquitoes for reasons I still do not know what, I had very little luck with mosquito repellents, lotions, "arm wear" that apparently gives off pheromones that drive mosquitoes away, etc. Only thing that worked is the electric based mosquito repellents.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Carry a mosquito net! Put it up over your bed and ignore the little buggers buzzing or play a radio quietly near your head. Netting is light and easy to carry.

5. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    Bug spray and netting work the best by far and don't take up much room in the pack

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    A smoky fire can help. Mossies are attracted by your breath. If you are in the tropics then even a smoky fire will often not deter them. In the past I have covered myself with my blanket. I do most of my trekking & camping in winter, so mossies are not a problem.
    Keith.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I was raised in a swamp on the Gulf Coast and honestly the mosquitoes that we have here look at Off as some sort of "special sauce" that just adds to your attractiveness. Smoke works if you want to stay up tending a fire all night. I HAVE done that before!! A mosquito bar is about the only thing that will really work but even that has its issues. The little buggers know what it is and so try to go in with you and so you won't have any peace until you kill them all. Also if you roll over and touch it during the night they will swarm and eat the part of you that touches the net in MASS. It is kind of creepy to turn on a light during the night and see that the net is covered up with the little monsters!

Over time if you are over exposed to them you will develope a certain "immunity" in the sense that a few just don't bother you and if there is anyone else around they will attract the vampyres away and you won't hardly get bit at all. LOL, As long as I have my fishing buddy along or my daughter with me I won't get bit at all. They are great skeeter bait! Being bit a few billion times evidently makes you sort of used up as far as they are concerned.

8. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    Bringing someone out from the city works good that city blood is like a magnet for those pests

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have also found that people from the more Northern parts of the US seem to be especially good at attracting the skeeters away from me. Rebel Texan skeeters love to eat Yankees! My best friend and fishing buddy was born up north but then realized the error of his ways and came home to Texas. Nonetheless the skeeters love him.