Slingshot (catapult)

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by franky, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. franky

franky Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Slingshot is definitely one of the most popular and yet most primitive weapons. All that is needed for its construction is a Y-shaped branch and some elastic material, usually rubber, and some cloth in between. Ammunition are usually rocks, but there are also slingshots designed for firing arrows. Game that can be hunted with slingshot is various and they are usually small to medium sized animals such as quail, pheasant, rabbit, dove, and squirrel.

PxLvYtHfcKoNHzWonxOSllleqEhhwcYJ.jpeg

What are your opinions on usefulness of slingshots as weapons?

sunnytn likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that if you do not have a supply of rubber, this will not be sustainable in a long term wilderness survival/living situation. In town or city in a shtf situation I personally think that people would have a hard time surviving. IF you managed to survive in the city & had a supply of rubber suitable for the function of this catapult, then I think it would be useful for hunting birds. It certainly is not the most primitive weapon, but does I believe date back to roughly the mid 19th century. The slingshot of David & Goliath fame would be far more sustainable but takes more skill to use.
    Never the less, could be a handy tool in certain situations.
    Keith.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I see it as more of a tool than a weapon!

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have been seeing those slingshots when I was young but I have never thought that it can be useful. The boys in the neighborhood would have them during summer vacation as toys with empty milk can as target. But when I first went to the mountain with my husband, I learned that it is normally used to shoot birds. So if you have no gun then that slingshot can take its place. And although it can only injure small birds, at least it can provide you with food. And another use of that slingshot, according to the demonstration of my husband, is to hit a mango up a tree. But take note, you have to be a sharpshooter as to hit only the stem so the fruit will fall otherwise you will just injure the fruit.

For my thesis, I guess that slingshot is also a good weapon to protect yourself in the woods. You can shoot a snake or even a bigger animal like a wild boar which when hurt may be stymied with its attack. Same with harmful insects like scorpions and venomous spider. And what about the bats in the cave?

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    To succesfully use it as a weapon for critter hunting. You have to develop some dexterity using a slingshot. One shot missed is a lost chance, since the impact would scare away the prey. The sling can be made also with a piece of crude leather, not only rubber.

6. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    In the event that the wood of your slingshot appears still green, it would be wise to let it gradually dry out.
    Also exercise a sense of alert when you are shooting and aiming your slingshot because there can be a drawback, so do yourself a favor and wear eye gear that will assure security.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is a weapon that most British children of a certain era knew about, I have several in my collection and have made a couple into arrow firing slingbows, these fire shorter arrows than a bow and are therefore more easily concealed.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I see now they are shooting arrows with slingshots this would be quiet and easy carry way to hunt and defend

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Even the catapult is banned/illegal here in NSW!
    Keith.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    only thing that is banned here is bow hunting, with any short of bow, crazy for a country that once defended itself with the longbow.

MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That I do think strange, with all those rabbits available for the table. A pitty. I grew up trapping & hunting with a bow in England until I was considered old enough to handle a gun.
    Keith.

sunnytn likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not really, when you realise 80% of the British population now live in cities, are 4 generations removed from the land and are rabidly anti what they call "blood" sports!!!

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose so, I guess it is a different world in the UK now.
    Keith.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it sure is! vastly different from when I was growing up! these days most people don't have a clue where their food comes from nor do they care, everyone is ruled by those "best before" dates on packaging and apart from a few hikers their knowledge of the countryside is 2 weeks on a regulated campsite with toilets, showers and a camp shop, even a clubhouse at some!!

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    unlike my childhood, kids these days aren't allowed to play outdoors, parents seem to think there is a "pervert" behind each corner, I heard a report once of some mother saying she didn't let her child out because "i don't have the time to clean them up if they get dirty"!!, people move to the country then complain there are no pavements, no street lights, the church bells are too noisy, so are the cockerels, and the tractors hold up their daily commute back to the city, these sorts don't last long without a supermarket on each corner and their "coffee to go"!!
    needless to say, such people haven't got a hope in hell of survival post SHTF.

16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, the reason I left England was that the countryside around my home was disappearing. Our family home was a big 18th century farm house, I spent the majority of my youth playing in the surrounding fields & woodlands. As more & more of the farm land was taken over by housing estates, I travelled further afield to hunt wood pigeon. Eventually I could see the writing on the wall & could not see me enjoying the future there. Australia has its problems, mostly stemming from a totally corrupt government, corrupt large corporations & a largely apathetic population, but owning my own forest here gives me a lot of freedom that I could never have attained in England.
    Keith.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    well I cant complain, I must have had a sheltered life, but living in the Plymouth suburbs there was always plenty of fields and woods to explore, then when I got a bit older I started to explore Dartmoor.
    I joined the Boy Scouts and this furthered by love of the countryside, well my mother was a farmers daughter so I suppose I got it from her.
    I used to go fishing on a regular basis.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was watching slingshot videos on the web today. Wrist-rocket types can be quite effective. A workmate of mine had a beef with some folk and used to blow their car windows out with a super-powerful slingshot.

Slingshots

https://specialized-weapons.wonderh...rate-slingshot-assassin-rufus-hussey-0113352/

Sling cannon:

Sling bows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nKNgJ_wNg

Sling saw (for killing witches, according to designer):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO3IsRrjtXw

PVC pipe slingshot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCCSMOz3