Snails and beetle

Discussion in 'Finding Edible Animals and Bugs' started by Corzhens, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not wishing to do eat these but I have learned from the rural folks that they usually eat snails and beetle when money does not arrive. The snails are cooked in coconut milk and added are vegetables to enhance the flavor. With beetle, it is fried and eaten together with chili and some herbs, again, to enhance the taste.

Snails thrive in wet places like river, stream, lake or even pond. Makeshift fish ponds have lots of snails. So gathering snails is not much of a problem if the area has some wet places. With beetle, they are normally in the trees. One of the best ways to gather beetle is to make a fire to create smoke that would make the beetle get down on the ground. That would be easy to gather then. However, in times of calamity, I don't think there would be the convenience of cooking especially if you do not have the utensils and other ingredients. With the snails, they have to be broiled in open fire and eaten just like that. How about beetle? It can be boiled using bamboo cylinder with a little water and salt.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, If those critters are easily found and gatherer then is not a bad idea at all. S0me asian countries like in Thailand have not qualms in adding a wide variety of insects, snails and even worms to the everyday diet. Mealworms and Superworms (beetle larvae stage) are also another edible source of food available in tropical areas.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I am not that adventurous. However, if things get as bad as they were during the 1930's I would eat what I had to eat to survive. And I would never have thought of cooking snails in coconut milk. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Beetles can be eaten raw. According to those who've tasted them, they are very much like bacon fat while worms taste like crispy chicken skin when fried. I can't vouch for the veracity of those statements but if you have to eat insects, grubs, worms, snails, rats, don't hesitate, others have eaten them and they like their taste.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    This is very true. Most insects are eaten as delicacies all over the world. Yet not in raw form, they are usually mixed in with some other type of organic food to disguise the taste. In general, insects are a great source of protein if you ever find yourself in a desperate survival situation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think that I can eat snails. I have never tried that. I have eaten crickets before. You can easily cook them since you only need to fry them on a pan using cooking oil. Termites are also good for ones health. They are rich in proteins. If you can not vomit, then know that most insects are edible.

7. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would think that earthworms would also be a good source of protein, easily chopped into a meat paste and then embellish with spices or just ketchup if you like a burger with ketchup. Maybe run the paste through a meat grinder. Hey, we have no problem eating baby cows (veal) and baby sheep (spring lamb) or baby pigs (suckling pig) and those critters all have faces and personalities. So what's up with a little squeamishness at eating certain live things that crawl and not walk?

Human beings have eaten a lot worse than spiders, snails, grub worms and snakes. Blood sausage to name one. But if you want to see a few more, check this out:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20709_9-horrifying-foods-you-wont-believe-people-actually-eat.html

8. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I have no problems eating snails and beetle as long as it is prepared right. Cooking it would be good, and some spice. Swallowing them whole is hard enough when it's raw and still moving, so cooking is first and foremost.

9. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    The snails available in my zone in the East African highlands are slugs which are slimy and not edible. There are plenty of crickets and white ants which some people have begun rearing.

10. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Some words of caution:

Do NOT eat raw snails or slugs, if at all possible. They are known for carrying parasites that cause serious diseases in humans.

Even the slime trail from snails and slugs can carry disease organisms, so wash your salad greens and wild foraged veggies well before eating them.

One of the worst parasitic offenders is the "brain worm" aka rat lungworm which is prevalent around the world--including the USA in recent years.

https://www.livescience.com/63246-rat-lungworm-us.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...alization-brings-brain-invading-worms/522153/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Ystranc, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
    1. Ystranc
      This thread was before my time but it just shows how much we need to post the correct information. Thank you GA for clarifying the need to cook Arthropoda and gastropods.

Ystranc, Feb 14, 2019
      GrizzlyetteAdams likes this.
  11. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe that's what is wrong with people , they have already gotten a head full of brain worms .

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is something wrong with them that's for sure.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the biggest & latest bushfires over here was caused by a woman burning rubbish in her yard dispite it being fire season & warnings on radio, tv & newspapers of the high fire risk & all fires being banned!!!
    The mind boggles mateo_O
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    There appears to be a limit on how smart we can become BUT no limit to how stupid some can become.

15. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That's Grade A signature material there.

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A few yeas ago we had a drought here and there was one summer that the fires were everywhere. It was so dry that one of the big fires was set when the wheel bearings on a trailer tried to seize up and started to scream. The guy pulled over to the side of the road and the grass immediately was ablaze. The bearing were evidently nearly red hot!It burned this truck and trailer and about 8000 acres of prime forest to the ground. Another guy pulled off the road to get his mail out of the mail box and his catalytic converter set fire to the grass. One was found to be caused by a bottle with a little water in it that the sun shining just right had started a fire. All of these are understandable. The ones that baffle me are the idiots like you mentioned that burn their trash during a burning ban that is burning the entire state up and the idiots that throw cigarette butts out the window into the dry grass. To me that sort of stuff needs to be treated as arson rather than understandable stupidity.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    On the topic I hope that I am never hard up enough to have to even consider eating a raw slug!!!! EWWWWWWWW YUCK!!!!! That is about the only thing that I back off from. Raw fish, living fish for that matter worms crickets I am down with but slugs are going to have to be my true LAST RESORT!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yours for the taking, free, no charge.

19. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, about a lot of things.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Slugs, snails and insects should all be cooked before eating.
    They can carry harmful bacteria and parasites.

Most seafood is safe to eat raw.
    I'm not sure I'd want to eat fresh water mussels but I would eat raw fresh fish.

If you keep a couple of air rifles around it's not too hard to kill enough birds for a meal.

Insects for me would be an extreme last resort.